Keep having a net under 1200 calories

Options
Hi,
I only just started this recently but some people are saying that a net calorie intake of under 1200 calories is too low. But the thing is, I am eating quite alot, although I'm not then eating back the calories I burn through exercise.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Then do so. As you're in your teens, your metabolism will be much higher than someone the same as you, and much older. If you restrict it so much now, you set yourself up for a real struggle to maintain your weight in later life.
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ok - but the thing is I don't really feel hungry.
    I'll just continue for this week as I am, although I will try to eat more.
    Then, I will probably change things alittle next week.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Also, find healthy snacks like almonds that are good for you and add that extra calorie count without being "empty" calories.
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 22, and my net is around 600-800. If you don't feel like **** and are getting your nutrients, I wouldn't worry about it. Again, it all depends on how much you have to lose. I've got 38lb to drop; I'm not in danger of starving anytime soon!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you struggle to eat enough calories, then start eating higher calorie foods; nuts, avocado, cook meats in EVOO, protein bars, protein shakes or go to town on a jar of peanut butter. Also, you don' t have much to lose, so your account should be around 1 lb per week and you should be eating 50% or more of your exercise calories.

Additionally, when you don't eat enough, your body will catabolize lean body mass which makes it harder to have a lean and tight body. Muscle is what makes you lean and tight. Below is what I mean. Also, if you are not weight training, I would suggest starting because weight training is what helps you keep your muscle (in conjunction with protein and a small calorie deficit). If you eat properly and exercise properly, you will increase the chances of looking like the girl on the right. If you don't, then you will look like the girl on the left.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    Well, I weigh 10st 10lb and am aiming to lose a stone.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm 22, and my net is around 600-800. If you don't feel like **** and are getting your nutrients, I wouldn't worry about it. Again, it all depends on how much you have to lose. I've got 38lb to drop; I'm not in danger of starving anytime soon!

And how much of that is muscle?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling to be able to eat even 1200, you may need to consult a doctor to discuss possibly having an eating disorder.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you eating too little fat? Your body needs some fat so be sure to meet or get close to your fat goal. Fat is high in calories so just adding a little with bring your calorie count up. Try adding nuts, nut butters, avocado or olive oil to your diet to get healthy vegetable fats.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804985-this-is-how-hard-it-is-to-reach-1200-calories

Read the post, and I think you should probably talk to the young lady that posted it too. It may help you mentally overcome the idea that you need to eat such a small amount.
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    If you are struggling to be able to eat even 1200, you may need to consult a doctor to discuss possibly having an eating disorder.
    I am eating over 1200 calories - and have no problem whatsoever doing so. If you were to look at my food diary, you will see that I am eating over that every day.
    It is my net calories which are below because I haven't eaten the exercise calories.
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    Alright, could you look at my food diary and tell me where I'm going wrong.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    No, it's locked :tongue:

Anyway, I will only advise you to research how much you should be eating more thoroughly. 1200 at 18 years old is desperately low; you're still growing for starters. When you're young, IMO, the solution is eat lots of good food and move your *kitten* more and not the alternative.
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    No, it's locked :tongue:

Anyway, I will only advise you to research how much you should be eating more thoroughly. 1200 at 18 years old is desperately low; you're still growing for starters. When you're young, IMO, the solution is eat lots of good food and move your *kitten* more and not the alternative.

Whoops - I've just made it public now. Bear in mind also that I started the diary on Wednesday and just put in what I ate without changing anything from what I'd normally have until Friday. I shall aimk to eat at least what I have (and am going to today) I may have been alittle too extreme on Friday. Also, the exercise calories are an estimate as I don't know them precisely.
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    Any more replies?
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    Are you eating too little fat? Your body needs some fat so be sure to meet or get close to your fat goal. Fat is high in calories so just adding a little with bring your calorie count up. Try adding nuts, nut butters, avocado or olive oil to your diet to get healthy vegetable fats.
    I eat enough fat - I sometimes go over the allowance on here.
  • mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You could drink Ensure...its a high calorie drink with a lot of nutrients. You can get it at the drug store by the supplements. It helped me with this. Good Luck.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing okay. What I noticed is that you have a lot of low calorie processed breakfast foods....cereal and breakfast bars these are usually higher in carbs and low in protein. Not always a bad thing but there are better choices. You might try changing your macros to a higher protein percentage than what MFP gives you. I did and it just helped me to focus on more higher protein choices and cut out some of the extra carbs...that along with eating back some of my exercise calories (all now that I have a HRM) has really helped.
  • mkanak
    mkanak Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That is too little. As stated above eat walnuts, almonds, avocado etc. Healthy food with calories. Also eat oats for breakfast.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Do you feel hungry? If you're hungry then don't be afraid to eat back some (or all), of the exercise calories. You should never have to feel hungry. If you're working out hard, your body needs fuel.