Runner turned ZUMBA!!!!

Options
WOW! I did my first Zumba class last night! What a blast! Have to admit the first 20 minutes felt like I had 2 left feet but found my "groove" and MAN did i sweat!!! Gonna try and make another class this AM. I take my 6 yr old daughter with me and she hangs in for the whole class! She inspires me and reminds me that this should be fun! Knuks to my instructor, she is starting a ZUMBATOMIC Class for kids. Won't that be fun to watch!? If you haven't tried it yet, YOU SHOULD!!! YOU'LL LOVE IT!!! (and it's a great "change-up" from my running routine!

Replies

• hollyroode
    Options
    HI! I just wanted to say congratulations on only having 2 lbs left! My goal is 130 as well, and seeing that you are almost there coming from 182 is giving me the hope that I need to keep going!!! I have never heard of Zumba until coming on this site.. I wish we had it where I live because everyone raves about it! Good luck with your last 2 lbs!
  • melaniese
    melaniese Posts: 19
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba! I found it about 4 months ago and it's one thing I look forward to every week and will always do! I'm also just becoming a runner, training to do a 5K end of May. I've lost 30lbs so far and have 25 more to go.

Holly, did you check www.zumba.com ? You can search anywhere in North America and you may find somewhere close to you that someone teaches it
  • hollyroode
    Options
    Cool..I'll check it out right now!
  • hollyroode
    Options
    OMG awesome. I just found a class! It is in the next city over (only like a 15 minute drive) I messaged the intructor since it is at the YMCA and I am not a member.. I am hoping I can go and just pay for the class! Thanks Melanie!
  • racermom
    racermom Posts: 36
    Options
    Holly, I see you are from Prescott, my instructor teaches in Ogdensburg 4 times a week. Is that close for you?
  • mctex
    mctex Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post! I am a runner, too, but I'm currently taking a break because I'm trying to get some flexibility back through yoga and Pilates. I need some new inspiration in my cardio, and this sounds like it could be it!

WTG on your weight loss! Sounds like you've been enjoying your journey. :)
  • hollyroode
    Options
    Yes Ogdensburg is about 15 minutes away..the only problem is that my passport expired so I can't get across the border right now :( Is that where you go in Ogdensburg?
  • racermom
    racermom Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm actually about 45 minutes up river, in Clayton, NY! Isn't that Funny? High five back on your weight loss. And what a great example you are setting for your little girl. We, mommies need to take care of ourselves to be the best we can for our kids! Good luck with your new Zumba class and your continued journey! :flowerforyou:
  • hollyroode
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I just found on the Zumba website that they offer instuctor certication classes in Ottawa...the basic 1 is like $220 and it is a 1 day class.. I'm going to have to try this out..If I like it enough it would be really easy to become an instructor!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm also a zumba freak! I go 5 days a week and love it!! We also have a class where children are welcome it's "family zumba". My daughters not old enough, but yay for childcare during class or I wouldn't be able to go! I also love zumba toning, a little slower pace but we use weights 1-3 pounds. HOLY MOLY! And also Masala Bhangra, which is similar paced but Indian! If you ever find it, try it!! Also awesome!! Keep zumba-in! ARRIBA! BALLE BALLE!<---that one's from Masala
  • JeniF1979
    JeniF1979 Posts: 18
    Options
    First, congrats on the weight loss! I am glad to hear you like your zumba class. When I get down below 200 pounds I am going to try to step it up a bit and maybe I can find a class to take my daughter to! I don't want her to be like me:( My mom was sick most of my childhood so she could not be as physically so I wasn't either. I struggle with any hi-impact exercising and I do think it is because I was not as active as I could have been when I was a child. Keep up the good work!
  • Leesa22
    Leesa22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Zumba is awesome, I can only make one class at the gym I go to due to their Zumba classes so looking to take it somewhere else too, always feel like I get a total body workout and I have fun doing it, too.
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    I Love love love zumba. it's taught 3 days at the golds gym that i go to.
  • TeriB19
    TeriB19 Posts: 33
    Options
    We, mommies need to take care of ourselves to be the best we can for our kids! Good luck with your new Zumba class and your continued journey! :flowerforyou:

Amen to that, racer!!! We absolutely need to take time for ourselves or we'll be no good to our children. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba and wish it were offered more than 3 times a week at my gym. It's such a great workout and I love to dance so it's not even like exercise, it's just hardcore dancing for an hour!

I am also a runner and Zumba has definitely helped me with my cardio. I'm doing a 10K next Saturday and if I didn't have Zumba behind me, I probably wouldn't have the stamina to run.

:)
  • melaniese
    melaniese Posts: 19
    Options
    holly! glad you found some classes. i'm from Toronto so we are kinda neighbors. Even though I'm moving to Calgary in about a month. Do you have a Goodlife Fitness near you? Most of them teach Zumba. Once I move I'm getting a membership so I can workout and get in maybe 2 classes a week and don't have to pay any extra as it's included
  • msharp8
    msharp8 Posts: 1
    Options
    Zumba is awesome! I started in January and have lost 19 pounds so far. I lost 5 before finding this site. I go about 4 or 5 times a week and the only other workout I am doing is weights about 3 times per week. It is so much fun and great for those like me who don't really like excercise. I've got a long way to go to my goal, but I will zumba my way there!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm a zumba instructor, and i'm always amazed how much people still love it, i've been instructing for over 3yrs, my class is a wristband class, and all the wristbands are always gone at least an hour before the class starts...I also do a lunch time zumba class with the board of education, kids love it! I let them use maracas and they go wild!!
  • cmnkyrun16
    Options
    I got excited just watching the videos on the site. Half the reason I go dancing with the girls is fr excersise, and if I get into this, I can have excersise minus the alcohol, ha.
  • luvslife2
    luvslife2 Posts: 15
    Options
    :happy: First I heard about it on Dr Oz I think, then someone told me there was a class here in town! I started last week and went to my 3rd class last nite. That's it! I'm hooked. I've just started the Couch to 5K and this will be perfect to move things & me right along. Who thought this could be so much fun!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I went to my first ZUMBA class last night and I had a BLAST! It was so refreshing and a great break from the usual. I think its going to be my Wednesday night workout, as thats the only time I'm available to make it. I loved that I could get my groove on and just let go and have fun. There were young girls with their moms and I thought it was so great that they were all having fun! Some of the instructors I've seen on YouTube get a little too "spicey" for me...I do like to shake my hips and drop it down low....but some of the moves I saw were a little too much for my liking. Luckily my instructor last night was perfect for my personal style!! It was so fun!!