Who lifts weights here and does no cardio

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    I USED to lift heavy and do zero cardio... For the past 7 months I've been doing Crossfit so I still lift heavy but I do cardio if its in the WOD (never more than 10 min usually)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

Why would I lift weights but not enjoy things like hiking?

Why would I lift weights and not enjoy things like Zumba?

and lastly...why would I lift weights and not enjoy things like Power Yoga?

Humans need a well rounded exercise routine. Any expert will tell you that.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I lift 5 x a week, no cardio. My routine is a 3 day split: 3 days lifting, 1 day off.....

When I start cutting (the new year) I'm considering doing minimal cardio just to bump up the burn a bit, so my calories can stay fairly high still (loves food!) That will probably just be 2 x a week though, for less than 20 minutes a time, at the end of a normal strength workout.
  • Onesnap
    Yep, Im thinking about dropping cardio and seeing what results I get from just lifting which so happens to be my favourite exercise :)

Don't drop cardio.

Your heart needs it.

Your stress relief needs it.

Your cancer and diabetes prevention needs it.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I do a hybrid strength/body building program (on my profile). Lift 2 days then take a day off, repeat. I do 10 to 30 minutes of intense cardio on lifting days. Rest days are for resting, repairing and recovering unless I am out hiking or biking. I dont count walking as cardio but I do a lot of that almost daily.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Cardio is like weightlifting for your heart and lungs. ;)
    If you want to kick up your calorie burning abilities, you're better off building muscle than doing cardio.
    That being said, I'm a cardio junkie because I love cycling and running. At one point I only lifted but I got injured a few months ago and have been very limited on what I can lift.
  • If you want to do only weights than what i would suggest is that you lift really light and do more reps. That is cardio in weights. Then you can lift a little heavier but not as many days and it will make you skinnier with tone.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

Because not everyone enjoys hiking, zumba, or power yoga.

And "experts" say a lot, that doesn't make them correct.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Yep, Im thinking about dropping cardio and seeing what results I get from just lifting which so happens to be my favourite exercise :)

Don't drop cardio.

Your heart needs it.

Weight training is far superior to cardio for diabetes prevention.
  • Onesnap
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

Okay. Bad examples.

How about riding an ATV? Or a snowmobile? Both are crazy good upper body workouts.

Or snowshoeing? Like in my profile pic. Burning 500 calories per hour.

Show me the proof that experts say to ONLY lift and do nothing else.

If you do lift and do nothing else you live a SAD AND BORING LIFE. Also, you're not invited for a day out on the trails.
  • Onesnap

Actually so is running on the elliptical trainer backwards. All depends what you read.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member

Don't drop cardio.

Your heart needs it.

But not cancer. I haven't ran in forever and now my legs have it. I fear if i stop using my arms in rapid movement then they will be susceptible too. Help please?
  • Onesnap

Don't drop cardio.

Your heart needs it.

But not cancer. I haven't ran in forever and now my legs have it. I fear if i stop using my arms in rapid movement then they will be susceptible too. Help please?

I think any type of exercise is great cancer prevention. Our bodies develop cancer cells every single day and as a nation (speaking of the US) we don't get nearly enough exercise.
  • Chief_Rocka

Actually so is running on the elliptical trainer backwards. All depends what you read.

I prefer peer-reviewed RCT's, like this one, which shows that 10 weeks of resistance training resulted in better glycemic control than an isocaloric amount of treadmill exercise in type 2 diabetics: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20003276?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1
  • Onesnap
    Strength training is a powerful ally:

Far too many people are focused on how many calories they burn while they're in the gym, but this is shortsighted.

Stop focusing on how many calories you burn in the gym and instead focus on how your body expends calories outside the gym. You burn calories throughout the day regardless of what you are doing, but exercise helps increase the rate at which you burn those calories. With most forms of traditional steady-state cardio, you expend calories while you're exercising, but once you stop, you quickly go back to your normal metabolic rate.

Strength training, however, builds muscle, and more muscle helps you burn more calories -- even when you're doing nothing but sitting on the couch.

"Strength training is a critical component of any program than emphasizes long-term fat loss," said Alwyn Cosgrove, co-author of the book "The New Rules of Lifting." Think of it like this: Muscles are "thirsty" from a metabolic perspective. The more muscle you have, the more fuel you are constantly burning. This is the advantage strength training offers if your goal is to lean out. A treadmill or elliptical trainer is often seen as the quick fix to shed body fat, and they are certainly useful if your goal is to improve cardiovascular health, endurance or simply to burn some extra calories, but strength training is a powerful ally."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/421082-weights-vs-cardio-your-guide-to-the-perfect-body/#ixzz2DMXaEghY
  • Chief_Rocka

Don't drop cardio.

Your heart needs it.

You need to find some way to work your arms in rapid succession.
  • Onesnap

I prefer peer-reviewed RCT's, like this one, which shows that 10 weeks of resistance training resulted in better glycemic control than an isocaloric amount of treadmill exercise in type 2 diabetics: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20003276?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1

One thing worth mentioning is how strength training and osteoporosis prevention go hand-in-hand. I just prefer strength training and cardio all in one hour. I know a lot of people like Body Pump. I like Ballet Barre (don't diss it, it's weights, kickboxing, yoga, ballet, pilates, and more weights...all to good music).
  • jcgadfly
    jcgadfly Posts: 5 Member
    I'm enough of a rookie that lifting gives me cardio in and of itself.
  • Chief_Rocka
    I'm sorry.

Why would you do that?

Okay. Bad examples.

How about riding an ATV? Or a snowmobile? Both are crazy good upper body workouts.

Or snowshoeing? Like in my profile pic. Burning 500 calories per hour.

Show me the proof that experts say to ONLY lift and do nothing else.

If you do lift and do nothing else you live a SAD AND BORING LIFE. Also, you're not invited for a day out on the trails.

Meh, I don't like being out in the cold anyway.