Upping my calories slowly?

Options
Jen800
Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
I want to join the group Eat more to Weigh Less. I have some questions though! :embarassed:

I've been eating really low for a while. I started out eating 800-900, then upped to 1000 about a month and a half ago. Then it was 1100, and then 1200, and now I'm aiming for 1300. Ideally I'd like to be around 1400-1600. Do you think I should increase calories slowly, or all at once? I realize now that it's more important to eat higher calories, and that I may weigh more on the scale for an amount of time, I'm just curious as to whether it'd be beneficial for my body to adjust slowly rather than shoving all this food at it all at once.

I never really "binged" on my low calorie eating either. I usually just balanced what I ate to include mostly healthy options, and gave myself an unhealthy option once in a while. I never went above my calories usually. I burn around 150-200 calories on a typical exercise day.

Anyways, thank you for your replies.

PS: I've calculated my TDEE, BMR, and all of that. In the end I'd like to be at 1700 ish calories, I'm just setting my goals for the present though. Thanks smile

Replies

• Jen800
    Options
    anyone?
  • alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    From EM2WL site others who have asked this get two replies - one is increase gradually and the other is to do it all at once! Have a read through some of the posts on there. Make sure you've got your numbers right. Expect a gain on the scale (although some lose), think about doing a 'reset' if you've been on a VLCD for a long time and don't expect a quick fix, you sort of need to fix your head as well as your body.
    After some time emotional and binge eating and all sorts of other food issues, probably linked to not eating enough, I am now one month into resetting my metabolism, feel great, have lots of energy and have started to enjoy food and enjoy eating it again - no weight gain either which is a bonus. However, I upped my calories all in one hit and found it difficult to stomach for the first few days - I was sooooo full, so you may want to increase gradually.
    Good luck and look forward to seeing you in the group! :happy:
  • Jen800
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate all your advice :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    slowly. it'll take your body a litlle time to adjust as you make a move, and i don't want you to freak out that you upped your calories and three days later you're up 4 pounds.

when you make a change whether it's upping your calories or trying a new work out routine, it's always best to give your body 2-3 weeks as an adjustment period.

i hope some of my 'eat more to weigh less' girls chime in here.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I've been typically doing about 100 calories every 10 days, but that's because I've been going really low and needed to speed it up.

I may slow down and wait 14ish days before i get to my ultimate calorie goals. Thanks again :smile:
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I think you need a serious diet break (eating at maintenance) for at least 4-6 weeks. However, I realize that some women aren't mentally or emotionally prepared to grasp that concept and commit to it.

So, if you want to continue eating at a deficit, I'm willing to bet you should be eating no less than 1600 calories on a non-exercise day. And depending on your activity level, it might be more.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Thank you for your reply :) I really don't want to take a diet break, because I'm worried I'll fall into my bad habits again just trying to get the food in. However, that being said, I do want to up my calories still. I calculated my ideal calorie intake at the moderate activity level and it's around 1700.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Honestly...You just need to consume some whole food if you can't muster at least 1500 cals per day. Someone like you, a burger would do a world of good.
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I upped mine all at one time. The first couple of days I was SO full but I'm almost a week in and I'm actually really enjoying it. I was worried about gaining a lot, but I just wanted to get the reset period over as quickly as possible rather than working up to it. I was also worried about binging, but I've limited myself to healthy foods pretty much which has made it easier.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I'm really enjoying it when I get to eat 100 more calories a week too, I never thought I would! How long are you planning to be on your reset period?
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    probably 4-6 weeks? I should do it for 8, but the thought of that drives me crazy. I'll probably do it for 6, try to cut for a few weeks, and if that doesn't work I'll do the reset again for 8. I don't have a lot to lose so it's not super urgent. I've only gained a lb since I started (and I ate over my TDEE a few days and have had to cut my work outs considerably), so I'm feeling better about keeping the reset up for a while than I initially was.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think you need a serious diet break (eating at maintenance) for at least 4-6 weeks. However, I realize that some women aren't mentally or emotionally prepared to grasp that concept and commit to it.

So, if you want to continue eating at a deficit, I'm willing to bet you should be eating no less than 1600 calories on a non-exercise day. And depending on your activity level, it might be more.

^^^THIS^^^