Started Couch to 5k

Options
I started the Couch to 5k program today. I tend not to focus on my cardio workouts very well if I don't have some sort of goal or something to focus on and this seemed perfect.

I know a lot of people have been talking about starting next year so I thought I would share my opinion on it, maybe just for a little extra feedback.

Needless to say, I am over weight and looking at me, I wouldn't think I would be able to run a 5k in the next year. I did the first day today and it was doable. I can't say it was easy, but it certainly seems like something I will be able to do and see it through to the end.

So if you are thinking about trying to get into running as a start to your cardio workouts, Couch to 5k gives you a good goal, it is doable for those of us who are newer to running, and it seems like something most anyone could do if they set their minds to it.

Replies

• Jennisgettingslim
    Options
    What program are you using? I would like to prepair for a 5k run but I have never been much into running. I know there are several free phone apps out there but would like some feed back/opnions on ones that others are using.
  • naidyl150
    Options
    The phone app that I am using is by Zen Labs. I like it because I can still use my phone or listen to music while it is keeping track of the intervals. I haven't really looked at many other ones. This one was recommended to me so I didn't really research any of the others.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! Running is a great workout! If you can, sign up for a race. I found I stick to a training plan better if I've committed to a race. Feel free to add me :smile:
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm on my sixth week of Couch to 5k and I love it! It has really helped me transition into an active lifestyle. I first tried the program almost eight months ago, but I only made it to the 3rd week before quitting. My personal experience was that it intensified too quickly. Looking back now 20 pounds lighter and way more knowledgable I wish I wouldn't have given up. If you find yourself struggling to keep up with the program don't hesitate to repeat a week! I have come to realize that sticking with a program helps keep me driven, motivated, focused, and responsible when no one else can. Best of wishes to your running experience!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    http://www.gostlouis.org/marathon-weekend/5k-runwalk.html
    Go! St. Louis 5k is April 6th. It would give you approximately 20 weeks
    Or there's the Penguin in the Park run on March 23rd, in Decatur.
    http://www.penguininthepark.com/
    We could run it together. . .:wink:
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I am using the 60 second running plan first before doing the NHS C25k as I am asthmatic (and overweight) and I don't think I'll be able to keep up with the C25k straight away. The 60 second running plan takes 10 weeks, and builds up intensity more slowly - you are still doing intervals of walking in between the running on week 10. Once I've got to week 10 I am going to switch over to C25k.

60 second running plan: http://www.zest.co.uk/running/train-for-a-5k-run/14-2.html
    NHS C25k: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am 60 pounds over weight and doing the zen labs C25K and I have asthma
    It is doable and enjoyable
    have pnemonia right now but will get right back to were i was on week 6 day 2 when chest stops hurting

:ohwell:
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Way to go...I am a recent graduate of the C25K program and it is SOOOOO fantastic.

It will be hard but I guarantee it will be worth it!

If I can run, anyone can!

Enjoy your journey. Feel free to add me and pick my brain throughout your journey!

Juli
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What program are you using? I would like to prepair for a 5k run but I have never been much into running. I know there are several free phone apps out there but would like some feed back/opnions on ones that others are using.
    just go to app store and search 'couch to 5k..it will come up. its free and i used it ...so easy!