Starting the gym

Options
Had my induction at the gym tonight and start day 1 of exercise tomorrow, looking forward to it but dreading it as I am super unfit. Would like to hear how others got on when they started at a gym....did you find it easy after a few weeks? Wish me luck, no pain no gain eh smile:

Replies

• iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect! It will get easier the more you do!

Make sure you stretch before you start exercising.
  • mdonovan
    Options
    Oh yeah, once you get in the habit of doing it after a couple of weeks its a lot less painful (literally). There are nights when I genuinely look forward to my workout. The trick is to stay with it, and not skip a night just because you don't feel like doing it. That starts a slide into never doing it. Have fun, good luck, and remember, everyone there had their first time there too :)
  • ashleyrose90
    ashleyrose90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well first! Congratulations on making the decision to join a gym you will love it :)
    What kind of things does your gym offer? If it offers classes it gives you ways to spice things up.
    The first week will be the worst but it will get better and soon it will become a routine
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    just started going myself....been there 4 days and already I'm hooked. Don't talk yourself out of going.......and you will want to. Stick with it......I love going.....but I go to a rehab place and it's older people. I love it.....none of the hotties....running around with half of their body showing off.....
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    honestly the first week is going to suck! youll be sore and want to not go but if you go in with the no pain no gain attitude youll do fine. power through the first week then its just a matter of finding time to go because youll be addicted
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Had my induction at the gym tonight and start day 1 of exercise tomorrow, looking forward to it but dreading it as I am super unfit. Would like to hear how others got on when they started at a gym....did you find it easy after a few weeks? Wish me luck, no pain no gain eh smile:

you'll be FINE. When I started at the gym in February ( at over 200lbs) 30 minutes on the treadmill ( at like 2.5mph) would have me pouring sweat and stumbling. Sometime over the summer, I stopped breaking a sweat, even with 40 minutes at 3.3mph. I now warm up with 35-40 minutes on the treadmill, then move on to weights. The trainer has taught me how to do squats, barbell pull overs, and use the leg press. I also use a variety of the cable machines.
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Amazing! :) I joined the gym about 6 weeks ago & on my induction I tried to run on the treadmill, barely lasted a minute lol! As of yesterday I ran for 12 minutes. I've started weights and circuits as well as my cardio, and I'm a different person lol! My fitness improves by the week. Run longer, lift heavier and train longer! Just don't give up when the initial 'the gym is amazing' stage when it's like whats the point! Ha! This is coming from an ex dancer who quit and was severely unfit lol! You can do it! :) Feel free to add me if you'd like too!
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    It will be daunting the first week or so... take it easy. Try all the equipment, ask questions, if you're brave go to a class or two. But as your confidence builds, so will your endurance! Enjoy what you are doing! If you can get a strength training circuit made for you (my gym updates mine every 8wks for free!) then do that... every 2-3 days and cardio on the other days.

You'll soon find out what you like to do, just remember to push yourself once you've settled in! Oh and make sure you have your runners and gym clothes ready to go EVERYDAY- At the start I'd use the excuse "ohhhhh I've got no clean socks... no gym for me tonight" hahaha... I live alone so I could make stupid excuses to myself. Now when I think of skipping the gym I point out "that butt ain't going to shrink by sitting on it..."

GOOOOOOOOD LUCK! You'll love it!!!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I does get easier the more you go! I never went to the gym regularly until the beginning of this year. I started on the elliptical and increased my speed and time every day I went. I knew if I pushed my self too hard at first I would burn out quick and not go!

Once I did that for a few months I moved over to the circuit training area and Did that for 30 Minutes. Then started using the step in between machines. Once I got bored with that I starting taking classes. I took every class I was curious about atleast once.

I think I have finally found what I love. It is completely opposite of what I saw myself doing a year ago but I love it! I lift heavy 3 days a week and I do Zumba once a week. I seriously thought if anything I would be a cardio bunny!

So my best advise is to try everything that you are curious about, but don't do it all at once! When you start exercising it doesn't matter what you are doing, just make sure you are moving. If you find that you truly hate a exercise, move on to something else! You will eventually get your routine that is just for you!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    baby steps- the hardest part for most is just getting there. What gym did you pick? Is it private owned or is it a bigger one/franchised? Bigger gyms will often give you a free personal training session, smaller ones will usually be willing to show you how equipment works.

Do they offer classes?

Always have your gym bag ready to go- and if you hestitate- which you will, some days will be easier than others, just log in here, read some updates- and update your diary- it will really help with your motivation.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing was intimidation. I swore I was doing everything wrong and looking like an idiot while I did it. Now I don't really care much if they do hear me all out-of-breath or if I can't do an exercise in a class, guess it just all comes with time and how comfortable you become.

I do think that you should use all that the gym has to offer. Classes, free weights, trainers (even just asking them how to do a certain exercise or work a piece of equipment helps!) and get to know people at the gym. When you start to see faces you know and recognize, it makes going a lot more enjoyable! And shoot for consistency. If you go everyday at the same time, you begin to just see that time as "taken" and schedule around it, instead of saying "I'll just skip it and go for two hours tomorrow" which we all know NEVER WORKS!
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    It will be daunting the first week or so... take it easy. Try all the equipment, ask questions, if you're brave go to a class or two. But as your confidence builds, so will your endurance! Enjoy what you are doing! If you can get a strength training circuit made for you (my gym updates mine every 8wks for free!) then do that... every 2-3 days and cardio on the other days.

You'll soon find out what you like to do, just remember to push yourself once you've settled in! Oh and make sure you have your runners and gym clothes ready to go EVERYDAY- At the start I'd use the excuse "ohhhhh I've got no clean socks... no gym for me tonight" hahaha... I live alone so I could make stupid excuses to myself. Now when I think of skipping the gym I point out "that butt ain't going to shrink by sitting on it..."

GOOOOOOOOD LUCK! You'll love it!!!

It helps when the staff is good looking and super friendly :D I'm practically old enough to be the trainer's mother, but he's cute and friendly. I've gotten to know a couple other members too.

I know that if I take a week off, I will lose my motivation. Truthfully, I get a little twitchy if I don't get in the gym for more than 3-4 days straight.

I keep a bag in my van with my inhaler, log book, water bottle, etc and I leave right after the youngest gets on the bus...
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    I waddled my way into the gym at 370lbs, definitely the biggest girl, if not the biggest person, in the whole gym. But everyone has been SO friendly and supportive!! If you can get a trainer, at least for a little bit, I HIGHLY suggest it. But don't be afraid to ask questions, especially if you want to try a machine and don't know how it works. After a while, the gym just feels like a second home. After all, they've all seen you sweaty and gross and making ugly faces while lifting - there's no reason to be intimidated after that! :)
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    They'll introduce you slowly, don't worry, it'll be fun and you'll be addicted soon!!
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym when the scales said 199- I was so afraid of hitting the big 2's and I wanted to go to a hot climate for my anniversary. I was too scared to use the machines so I went to as many classes as I could. I stood at the back and was awkward, out of breath and uncoordinated. I hated every minute and after three or four weeks I decided I was going to quit. A lovely lady came over after one class and said "I wish I had legs like yours"- she was a skinny little thing and even at my heaviest my legs are my best feature. I am sure she saw I was discouraged and wanted to make me feel good and it worked! I decided to keep going and to just do what I could without beating myself up . I also decided to ignore myself in the mirror. I realized about 6 weeks in that I was able to keep up with most of the stuff, I didn't hurt as much and I was starting to see differences. I ended up losing about 30 pounds and becoming a fitness instructor. I have been teaching for 9 years. I have still struggled with weight but I have never gotten that heavy again and I feel fit even if I am not thin! So hang in there even if you hate it at first!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect! It will get easier the more you do!

Make sure you stretch before you start exercising.

It does get easier. I was very uncomfortable at first but now going doesn't even phase me. However do NOT stretch on cold muscles! Warm up, stretch a bit, workout, then do a real stretch. If you stretch before you work out you can injure your muscles that don't want to move yet.
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You will enjoy it. You will find that you do sleep differently and your moods will improve. If you are having a bad day at work and you go to the gym after work you will find that it is a HUGE stress reliever. When I was working my boss would allow me to leave 30 minutes early as I only took half my lunch, I was able to get in to the gym and get my work out done. Now I go at 10 a.m. as I am a student and 10 a.m. works best for me right now. Later the time it will change. I have to agree that taking classes is great, see what they have to offer and take the ones that interest you. I have made friends with a trainer that is more than willing to show me machines or let me pick his brain when I have a thought to run past him. Good luck...
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I have made friends with a trainer that is more than willing to show me machines or let me pick his brain when I have a thought to run past him. Good luck...

That is the way it is with me :D

When I decided that I wanted to do squats, I asked him if he had a couple minutes to make sure my form was correct. he did so with a smile. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I want to get into heavy lifting. He was so excited!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    zig-ziglar-be-great.jpg
  • s_mark4
    Options
    I have been a new member at many gyms in my life and each time I return to a fitness club after being away, it always intimidates me. The main reason I've felt intimidated is I really don't know what I'm doing, I don't know where things are and I don't have a exercise plan in place, so I'm wandering around the machines and trying to look like i know what I'm doing.

To help me feel more at ease, I may start with cardio machines like the elliptical or an exercise bike. I can just follow along with the machine until my time is up. However, what I prefer to do at the gym is the fitness classes. The classes are for a set amount of time. So if they're difficult, you know it will end. Also since most are usually about an hour, they will also commit you for that time so you don't skimp out on your working out. Thirdly, since you're following an instructor, the instructor creates and leads you through the fitness plan, no need to figure out what exercises, what sequences and what equipment, the instructor does it. So if you don't know what you're doing at a gym, you can just follow them. Lastly, there are a variety of different fitness classes to suit different tastes -kettlebells, muscle pump, zumba, step aerobics, pilates, dance aerobics, yoga, spinning, crossfit, etc. Usually there are enough classes that one can find something that they like.

If your intimidation stems from not having a fitness plan or practice in place, I'd suggest a few personal training sessions to get you started or getting a fitness plan from a book or online. A personal trainer can help you develop an exercise plan with your personal goals in mind (building explosive strength, using own body weight, recovering from injury, having a exercise program one can do on an exercise ball, etc.). They'll show you how to use the equipment and they'll show you proper form. Have them record the exercises down for you so you'll know the sequence of exercises when you're on your own. If you don't have the money or want to spend the money on a personal trainer, there are wonderful books and websites that will show and design an exercise program for you. Celebrity trainers like Jillian Michaels, Tracy Anderson and Bob Greene all have exercise books. Select a book and exercise program that speaks to you -your goals, your style -from a local bookstore or from the library. I've also heard there are now Apps you can get on your phone that will design an exercise plan for you as well.

I hope these tips are of some help. Good luck and try not to get discouraged. We all begin somewhere.