thigh and calf about the same size

Options
I checked out a gym today and ended up joining and they did a free body composition test on me and my calf is 15" and upper thigh is 16", is that weird or a common thing. I really never noticed or thought about it. She did say my thigh was smaller than normal so I'm glad I joined, excited to get started.

Replies

• bgrossman22
    Options
    Bump
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i haven't a clue if the calf - thigh thing is yay or nay, but good on you for joining the gym! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I'd bet the same is true for my husband. Probably not too weird for a man, but I think it would be weird for a woman.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    my thigh is 21.5 and my calf is 14.5
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not that normal, except in some gyms where the weight lifters are totally bad about working out their toothpick legs.

16 & 23", and not carrying much fat on legs.

Now, forearm and straight bicep almost match within an inch. But not when curled.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Options
    I think it may be different for men than women. I have about a 6-7 inch difference. My husband on the other hand is probably similar to you.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If it's weird, I'm weird, too. My calves have always been rather large. I'm trying to increase my thigh muscles to balance things out.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would say you either have very thin thigh or very big calves.

Also, I looked at your profile, 140lbs at 6'2" is pretty light, eh?
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    i haven't a clue if the calf - thigh thing is yay or nay, but good on you for joining the gym! :)
    thanks, I planned on joining the first of the year but they gave me 2 free months with a year contract
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    lol
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My thighs are 29" my calves are 16 1/2"

A lot has to do with body composition/genetics. Tall and skinny it makes more sense than short and stocky...
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    You might want to consider seeing a doctor, and getting some blood work done.
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    I would say you either have very thin thigh or very big calves.

Also, I looked at your profile, 140lbs at 6'2" is pretty light, eh?
    she said my calves were bigger and I have small thighs
  • trishaseren
    trishaseren Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My calves are nearly the same size as my thighs, exercise makes them toned but they're similar sizes. I'm a small size up top but seem to carry weight in my legs so looks very out of proportion if I don't keep up the exercise. Over the years in high school I was teased (tree trunk legs) and people have made the odd comment which does hurt. I've also struggled to find jeans and knee high boots that fit over my calves.

I find when they are toned they look a lot better, my friends have said they are way slimmer than they used to be but I just don't see it lol. It's become an obsession for me! Since I started running it seems to have lifted the calf more which makes my ankles look slimmer which is also an improvement.

My bf said the other day my legs were looking slimmer since I started running which is a huge compliment as he never notices anything lol.
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    My thighs are 29" my calves are 16 1/2"

A lot has to do with body composition/genetics. Tall and skinny it makes more sense than short and stocky...
    that's it
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    My calves are nearly the same size as my thighs, exercise makes them toned but they're similar sizes. I'm a small size up top but seem to carry weight in my legs so looks very out of proportion if I don't keep up the exercise. Over the years in high school I was teased (tree trunk legs) and people have made the odd comment which does hurt. I've also struggled to find jeans and knee high boots that fit over my calves.

I find when they are toned they look a lot better, my friends have said they are way slimmer than they used to be but I just don't see it lol. It's become an obsession for me! Since I started running it seems to have lifted the calf more which makes my ankles look slimmer which is also an improvement.

My bf said the other day my legs were looking slimmer since I started running which is a huge compliment as he never notices anything lol.
    great job
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    After doing a little research online it is not common, average thigh circumference for a man in 22.5 and calf is about 14.5. I need to work hard adding muscle. That's probably why walking upstairs makes my legs tired lol
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    After doing a little research online it is not common, average thigh circumference for a man in 22.5 and calf is about 14.5. I need to work hard adding muscle. That's probably why walking upstairs makes my legs tired lol

Yes. Glad you're getting it. You're going to have eat more and weigh more though.
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    Actually my knee is 15" not my calf. So there is more than a 1" difference