Got any Winter Squash Recipes/Ideas? :)

Options
Hearts_2015
Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
I've got butternut squash & acorn squash galore and would love a variety of ideas on how to use it. I've done some Googling but thought I'd check in with you all as well, to see what your favorites are!

Thanks!:wink:

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Squash is my FAVE! Roasted, it make incredible burrito filling, it's great in indian curries, added to chili, or just on it's own.

I just made a red lentil and buttercup squash soup last weekend, recipe here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/meagalayne/view/foodie-stuff-red-lentil-and-squash-soup-with-a-twist-447627

Another favourite way to have buttercup squash is to soften it in the microwave for 5 minute, cut it open and clean out the inside, and then slice it into 8 wedges and top with some curry paste (and added water to make it spreadable), bake in the oven at 425F until it's soft. It's so flavourful and a lovely healthy snack. 2 Tbsp of Patak's curry paste + water will do a whole squash.

Acorn squash isn't my thing, really, but it makes a great "stuffed squash" base. Loads of recipes online or just search the threads here. Good luck!
  • gailt1959
    Options
    Butternut squash, lentil, leek and serrano ham stew. (serves 6)

Cup raw red lentils
    4 carrots diced
    2 leeks chopped
    1 butternut squash peeled and chopped into cubes
    1 tomato diced
    1 pack serrano ham
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 chicken stock cube
    4 sprigs thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
    10 basil leaves chopped
    squeeze lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 litre water (approx)

Put all ingredients except ham, seasoning, oil and garlic into pan with water. Bring to boil and simmer for approx 25 mins till soft (uncovered - add more water if necessary)
    Towards end of cooking time fry chopped serrano ham and crushed garlic in olive oil for a few mins then add to stew. Season to taste and simmer for a few minutes till quite thick. Add squeeze lemon juice and serve.

Delicious, healthy and very satisfying, 277 cals approx per serving
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing!!:wink:
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    butternut squash soup! So good in the winter!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I did my best to duplicate a butternut squash side dish I had at a favorite restaurant last week. It came out great!

1 butternut squash, peeled & diced, 1 & 1/2 portabella mushrooms, diced (the big ones, I used what I had in the fridge, but any mushrooms will do :tongue:), raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas), a couple of handfuls - I didn't measure. Toss it all with some olive oil and.or melted butter (or coconut oil might be good too!), some salt & pepper, and smoked paprika. Roast it in a single layer on a cookie sheet at 350º, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender and sweet, at least 30 minutes.

It was fabulous, and I served it with baked tilapia and brown rice. I ended up mixing the squash into the brown rice on my plate, and saved the leftovers that way too - very tasty together!
  • SilentJo
    Options
    For acorn squash I love this recipe for Twice Baked Squash. It's more of a breakfast/dessert to me though with all the sweetness, but it's so good!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1750,150166-249199,00.html

Enjoy!

jo
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/warm-butternut-squash-and-chickpea-salad/

That is my absolute favorite way to eat butternut squash, kabocha or pumpkin. It could eat it all day. I halve the dressing and further reduce the oil to reduce fat. I have made it with the tahini, and also subbed in almond butter and both were delicious.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Roast buttneut squash with pears or apples (tossed with olive oil and seasoned with curry powder)

Or try adding roasted, cubed squash to an arugula salad with a vinaigrette and dried cherries. Both are very tasty.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If it was spaghetti squash I would say spaghetti squash pad thai. I just finished making it for dinner.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    roasted is best! it gets all caramelized... mmm yummy

or in soup I looOoOove soup!!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've got butternut squash & acorn squash galore and would love a variety of ideas on how to use it. I've done some Googling but thought I'd check in with you all as well, to see what your favorites are!

Thanks!:wink:

If it was me, I'd put it in a catapult or trebuchet and throw it as far as possible... :laugh:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I like it just cubed and roasted. Toss with either some spices or some cinnamon & brown sugar.

I love love love this butternut squash soup: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/winter-squash-soup-recipe/index.html

I'm going to try this recipe tonight: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/penne-with-butternut-squash-and-goat-cheese-recipe/index.html

I just tried spaghetti squash last night and it was delish! Just cut in half length-wise and microwave covered for 8 1/2 mins. Scrape out with fork and toss with your fave sauce.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I just roasted cubed buttercup squash tonight in the oven while I was making dinner. Going to either toss it into a curry or make a soup. Great inspiration - Thanks!

Oh - And check out this recipe idea for something a little different:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/11/roasted-butternut-squash-recipe-with.html

I like my squash plain but it never hurts to spice things up :wink: