Want to run? DO IT! Some crappy advice from a newbie.

Options
emtjmac
emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
Hello MFP community! As I sit here, watching a Megadeth concert on netflix and feeling high-as-a-kite off my latest run, I'd like to take a minute to offer some advice to those of you who have always wanted to start running but haven't or have and hated it or used to and now don't. If you really wanted to like it or would like to like it, give it another try. Maybe the best advice I can give you is simply to tell you what I did and some of the things I learned along the way.

A little over 3 months ago I weighed 304 pounds and had been sedentary... very sedentary... for about 10 years prior. My wife was about to have our fourth child and I had hit rock bottom. Finding MFP was one of the most important moments of my life but I knew I needed to exercise. I had heard of c25k so I decided that I would try my hand at running.

At first, it seemed impossible. I made up my mind however, that I would follow the plan exactly as it was laid out on coolrunnings.com. I am proud to say that despite moments when I thought I would die, or pass out, or have an out-of-body near-death experience, I managed to run every part of the program, as laid out without any walking when I was supposed to run or vice-versa. On the flipside, I never did any more than I was supposed to, even if I felt like I could. Just as with MFP, I trusted the program and it worked. Don't run more than the three days a week that you're supposed to until you're done with the program. I feel as though that was a key component of my success but this leads me to my first piece of advice... don't let a failure discourage you. If you find a c25k workout to be too difficult, repeat it until you can complete it and then move on. It is worth it. Also, buy a watch with a stopwatch feature and time yourself as indicated in the workout. I got one for like 12 dollars at kmart and it served me well throughout the c25k program. Probably the best piece of advice I can give is to NOT WORRY ABOUT SPEED. Start SLOW and if you have to, stay slow. The important thing is to complete your run intervals, don't worry about how fast you do so, it's not important. Speed will come by itself.

Check out these web pages that I used when trying to create a great posture:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/perfect-form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibWjSEw-F4 <--- This video is excellent, it's cheap and has no sound but it really shows what I think is an excellent running form and it helped me a lot.

Go to a running store and get someone who knows something to check out your feet. All I did was go to a local running shop and stand on a mat that left an impression of my feet. The clerk, who was very knowledgeable, told me I probably overpronate a bit and recommended shoes with support. He didn't have any wide sizes so I did research on my own and found that the Asics website has an excellent chart to use to pick a shoe. I settled on the 1170s and bought them on amazon for $80. I love them.

I'm no elite runner but today I run 5 days a week and last week I put in over 20 miles. I have lost 64 pounds and running has been more or less my only exercise. I had my longest run 2 days ago at 7 miles and I ran 5 today and it wasn't at all difficult. In fact, it was very pleasurable. The entire run felt great. This will not be the case for you if you are just starting out. In fact, until about 3 weeks ago, I still experienced misery in all of my runs. Once you reach a certain level of fitness, you will experience "the runner's high". Endorphins will flood your brain and make you feel great. Sometimes it's pretty intense and it's something that will definitely hook you on running.

I hope this information helps some of you! There are a lot of experienced runners out there who have better advice than I do! Find them and friend them and then ask as many questions as you can; I did and it really helped. Good luck and I hope I see some of you on the road!

Replies

• mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Great post. Finding something you enjoy is half the battle.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You had me at "High off my *kitten*".
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    bump
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great post. I used to run 5-6 miles a day and loved that runner's high. Sadly, my knees can't take the running anymore and I'm stuck with walking and biking. I do miss running a lot - giving it up was one of the reasons I started to gain weight.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Thinking about trying again soon. Posting so I can find this later when I get home and see the video/link.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Great post. I used to run 5-6 miles a day and loved that runner's high. Sadly, my knees can't take the running anymore and I'm stuck with walking and biking. I do miss running a lot - giving it up was one of the reasons I started to gain weight.

You should maybe talk to a sports medicine guy. I have read several times of people who had knee problems or back problems or any number of things who overcame them by correcting posture or by some form of preemptive physical therapy.
  • Justforme104
    Justforme104 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the crappy advice since this advice isn't crappy at all!!!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! It truly was nice to read.
    Don't run more than the three days a week that you're supposed to until you're done with the program. I feel as though that was a key component of my success but this leads me to my first piece of advice... don't let a failure discourage you. If you find a c25k workout to be too difficult, repeat it until you can complete it and then move on. It is worth it. Also, buy a watch with a stopwatch feature and time yourself as indicated in the workout. I got one for like 12 dollars at kmart and it served me well throughout the c25k program. Probably the best piece of advice I can give is to NOT WORRY ABOUT SPEED. Start SLOW and if you have to, stay slow. The important thing is to complete your run intervals, don't worry about how fast you do so, it's not important. Speed will come by itself.

I feel like this is great advice! I did W1D1 once like 4 months ago adn pushed myself too much. The advice I got was if you're not into running yet, try slow walk, fast walk intervals. As of the stop watch, zen labs has a free c25K you can download on your phone and it'll tell you when to switch. All you need to do is add music to your phone. Unless you like silence.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes... you don't have to run a 5 minute mile to be a "runner".... If it's faster than a walk (and a 15 minute mile is a BRISK walk, anything faster than that aint walking) than it's RUNNING.

Congrats on your success and many more miles ahead of you!!
  • Crazy_Diet_Mom
    Options
    I've been thinking about it and just started checking out the C25K program today... I think you've inspired me to get off my couch and get moving. Thank you.

And congratulations on your great successes.

Traci
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was so happy to read your post and what great advice for a newbie. I also started at over 300 lbs and decided to start running. I started walking at first (until I was under 200lbs) and then began a similiar C25K program in Jan of this year. I went to a running store and also ended up with a pair of Asics specifically for my flat feet. Today, less than a year later I run at least 6 miles and do it 5 days a week. Slow and steady wins the race!!!!!!!
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    Congratulations on your running! And your journey into being a healthier/better version of you!
    I like reading and hearing about people's successes. Thank you for sharing.

I, too, never counted myself as a 'runner' - and started with the c25k program. It is GREAT. I did it last year in preparation for a 5K. Then I took some time off, because I hadn't really started to enjoy running yet. Did it again this year in preparation for a 10K, then followed that up with a 10 MILE run. I am slow like a turtle - but have made up my mind that slow isn't a bad thing. Who cares how fast you are - the only thing that matters is that you are out doing SOMETHING ACTIVE. Although, I'm not so secretly hoping that eventually I'll get a little faster. ;)

Thanks again for sharing your experience and words of encouragement. :)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    You had me at "High off my *kitten*".

This.

Love Runner's World, btw.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!!!
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, I just ran my first 5k on Thursday it was amazing, it is still hard for me and in the running world it was an aweful time. But you know what I did it and I am going to continue on no matter how hard it is....So thanks for the info.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Your post came at a perfect time for me! I am finishing up the 30 day shred by early next week and the C25K is going to be my next work out. I have also been doing leg presses on our machine to get my legs stronger. Also I have been walking/ jogging all fall except the jogging exhausts me. So that is why I thought the C25K would be perfect for me! You have just proven to me that it works! Tons of thanks to you!!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, I just ran my first 5k on Thursday it was amazing, it is still hard for me and in the running world it was an aweful time. But you know what I did it and I am going to continue on no matter how hard it is....So thanks for the info.
    good for you for finishing your first 5K! Who cares what your time was! Lol!
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • futurestarz
    Options
    I started c25k in September, and finished on 11/8. I have never been so proud of myself. Last week, I ran the Denver Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving (a 4 mile race). I finished in the bottom 25% of my age and gender group, but I was damn proud of myself for finishing. I have my next 5k in a week and a half, and I am so excited to rock this one out!

I'm very proud of you for sticking to it, and going even further!