Clothes in different sizes ~ just in case?

Options

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't keep them!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I would keep a small range of sizes. Life happens, and I think it's realistic to keep some in case you gain a little as a result of unforeseen circumstances. However, I wouldn't go too far up. Getting close to needing to go clothes shopping is a big scare and might keep you out of the high numbers.
  • lizajayne32
    lizajayne32 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Keep one of your ugliest items of clothing in the larger size, just in case you feel yourself slipping. When you do try it on to remind yourself that you don't want to put on the weight, could give you a boost in motivation if you ever need it.
  • dsanders16
    Options
    I got rid of ALL my "fat clothes"! I felt that by keeping them, I was expecting myself to get back into them. That's just the way I looked at it. You have to decide whats best for you. Good Luck!!!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Last year I started to regain and had to get back off my butt because I got rid of all the clothes a size bigger. It was enough to motivate me to get back on track.

This^^. Whenever I gain a little, I remind myself I don't have an option to gain because I don't have bigger clothes. I MUST fit into my current pants size. No choice.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I heard that people who keep the weight off also do not have anything stretch or with elasticated waists in their wardrobe...

Makes sense to me... as soon as the button gets tight you are overeating again.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about this. The best option seems to get rid of them though. That way you can't say 'welll...I still have those pants if I can a few.' It's more like 'I can't gain back the weight or I'll have nothing to wear!'
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was terrified to ditch my clothes ... but I'm so glad I did it. Now my closet is super clean (ie. empty) and contains only "skinny" jeans!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! My problem now is that I don't have very much that fits me! Everything is too big! I went to Goodwill yesterday and bought 3 pants and a skirt. I don't try them on because I want to wash them first but they were cheap so no big deal. One pair was too tight and one pair was too short. I'm going to have to go back and get more and that is exciting! But I do have a bunch of moo cow clothes! I'm afraid to get rid of them!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I got rid of them. It felt good mentally, like that big person was gone!
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If I make it to a size 8, I will keep (but pack away) my clothes up to size 12 and give the larger away. I would hope I would never need them again, but in the lines of human nature it has happened to me before. If I gain those two 2 sizes again I KNOW it is time to take action, but least I won't be spending money on yet another wardrobe.

Ha! I am exactly the same as you...same sizes too! Luckily I just made it to a size 8, yippee!!! But I do plan to save (and store away all my 10s and 12s) Heck I'm still wearing a lot of them, even though I look goofy...
  • kathrynlouiseellis
    Options
    I chucked all of my bigger sized stuff out. In my opinion, if it's there it's a little bit like a fall back plan.

Also, if I've got rid of the stuff it's like I'm throwing away the past and making room for the future. Why hold onto things that belonged to the old you, the you that you felt you needed to change?

I did hold on to my old rugby stuff from when I was in my fitter days. I guess I told them that I'd be back to reclaim them and now I have. I'm not nuts, I swear.

Yeah I think it all has to go, lol at the rugby stuff!!! Good on you!!
  • kathrynlouiseellis
    Options
    @kathryn
    If you do not want to toss them off then you must keep them out of your eyesight. May be a place in your home where you do not look often. It will help you to not to think of those big size clothes often.

Yes this is a good idea, will do that!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am keeping at least 2 sizes of jeans...not because I EVER plan to gain it back..but I didn't plan to gain it back last time either and jeans are expensive. I have them hidden in another closet though. Far Far in the back of the closet.
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be trying to concieve later on? if so you might want to store some of your larger clothes in a tote somewhere so you dont have to spend as much money on maternity clothes. But tell yourself that that is the only reason you will ever wear those clothes again.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I recently got rid of ALL of my bigger clothes. ALL of them. They only clothes I have fit me know. I'm notorious for having bins labeled with the size, usually 3-4 different ones. I'm moving in a few months and I refused to take them with me. It felt good to get rid of them, like me saying I had no choice not to gain weight again!
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have clothes in all my past sizes....16-26 UK......I got down to an 18/20 last year but am really pleased I kept most of my bigger clothes or I'd have spent out a fortune. Keeping my clothes doesn't affect my intention to lose weight and getting rid of them wouldn't stop me gaining weight.

I do keep them in a different wardrobe when they don't fit.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Do you think I am setting myself up to fail by hanging on to them?
    YES!! If you get rid of them, then you'll only have smaller clothes for a guideline, and IF you start to gain again, then you will know you need to get a handle on it...or have nothing to wear.
    It will help keep you motivated when you get to maintenance mode! :drinker:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    In past attempts to lose, I have kept everything. How convenient when I gained again. Absolutely no pain - just pulled them out of storage and wore the bigger size. This time NO! I have gone through all 4 sizes in my closet and the smallest size clothes are getting big. I have no problem throwing them away this time. I know that I will have to begin buying clothes in smaller sizes now and will not have my "back up fat clothes" to fall back on. Going forward. Don't look back. Besides, I don't really like the clothes anymore. Not so much to hide now and I enjoy better fitted clothing. Good luck in your decision!

ETA: When I say "throw them away" I actually donate them to the local women's shelter. :flowerforyou:
  • maddieprice87
    maddieprice87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep one item to show you how much your body has changed, and then donate/ebay off the rest to save up for a new wardrobe :) xx