Too Much Protein?????

Options
Is there such a thing as eating too much protein .... as long as you are still within your calories? I'm only alloted 53, but I am always way over that. Would this prevent weight loss?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Not at all!

MFP's allowance for protein is quite low. Unless you have kidney issues or a pre-existing medical condition that messes with your ability to digest/process protein then have as much as you like.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    no - contrary to the articles you'll find that might say you should only have between 25-45g / day of protein - if you want to lose and you're doing any kind of exercise you could / should be eating a lot more - most agree that you could / should be eating 0.5-1g protein for each lb of body weight - my macros are set to 210g / day
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as eating too much protein .... as long as you are still within your calories? I'm only alloted 53, but I am always way over that. Would this prevent weight loss?

Higher protein actually helps weight loss, and it helps maintain your lean body mass. My protein is set to 90 grams each day and I still go over that quite often. One study indicated that women who are losing weight are more successful if they eat at least 72 grams of protein each day.