Are you hungrier bfore/during/after your TOM?

Options

Replies

• Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm just like you. Ravenous and would chew through the walls if I could get away with it beforehand :blushing: Then once I start I have no interest in food. After I'm just back to 'normal' :tongue:
  • vixey2906
    vixey2906 Posts: 30
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Question from a guys point of view. Is this intake controllable or uncontrollable? I know menstruation requires extra caloric intake. Sooo... Does this have to come from candy or chocolate? I can tell when the roomie's TOM is when she loads up on candy. Is this just a craving or what? I have seen some of the other ladies post that they can't put down the sweets during TOM. Just wondering.

Any and all info is appreciated.:flowerforyou:

I think its partly because the hormones put girls in a really foul mood so they stock up on comfort food the feel happier :)
  • ericac
    ericac Posts: 2,679
    Options
    The fact that guys posted here cracks me the heck up!.......I'm very glad to see they are eager to learn though :bigsmile:
  • futureonfire
    futureonfire Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow!! A lot has happened since I asked this question... I have to admit, I feel better knowing that I'm not the ONLY one who struggles with this.

I'm glad to see guys interested as well.

My husband said that you burn 30% more calories at TOM, but doesn't mean we should eat them...lol

I remember seeing something about craving chocolate at TOM because of something in it. Not sure about the sweets though.

I usually want chocolate and salty things. And the red meat thing too! I made pot roast!! haha
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You don't realise how interested we actually are in this TOM! Knowing your enemy is one step closer to winning the war! Well I just don't like the mood swings. I thought people could control themselves. Maybe Im seeing the worst of it in my roomate. She has horrible mood swings and on these days I HATE her! Not really but you get the drift! Can she control this or is it overwhelming? I figured since this happens once a month that you could control it?.. Maybe but what do I know? Im just a guy.
  • dougspot
    dougspot Posts: 12
    Options
    The TOM affects married men too. I notice when it arrives in the house we go out to dinner a lot more often. Oh, and personally my beer consumption increases for a week. :drinker:
    Probably the best thing we've discovered is that massage helps tremendously. It's good strength training for me to have to give her a massage for 30 minutes a day for a week. :smile:
    D
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Question from a guys point of view. Is this intake controllable or uncontrollable? I know menstruation requires extra caloric intake. Sooo... Does this have to come from candy or chocolate? I can tell when the roomie's TOM is when she loads up on candy. Is this just a craving or what? I have seen some of the other ladies post that they can't put down the sweets during TOM. Just wondering.

Any and all info is appreciated.:flowerforyou:

I think it depends on the person. For me sometimes it is virtually not-controllable, but more often than not I can handle it. It's difficult to explain, I guess. It's certainly not "all mental" as some men suggest! :noway:
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That's too funny about the poor guy who wanted to know what TOM did!!
    I had a very hard time about two days before TOM and I was like what the heck? I was off schedule so I wasn't expecting it and I wondered why I suddenly couldn't get enough chocolate no matter what I did!!!! I only had a really hard time for about two days and then one more day towards the end. So it was all mostly at the begining and I was hurting to bad to so my excercise so it was the only time since I started this a month ago that I went over on my calories. I hate TOM for doing that to me!!!!!:tongue:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Mine showed up a week early (blah!), and haven't noticed a difference in appetite, other than craving really naughty food (greasy, nasty cheeseburgers, etc)

Roylawrence, have you ever heard of that tiny critter in south america that gets so overpowered by hormones it has to mate continually until it dies? It goes completely psycho. Well, women are similar once a month, except instead of trying to mate, our urge is to stomp our feet, throw things, cry uncontrollably, and otherwise kill people. Chocolate helps prevent the last part. It's not really controllable. It's more biomechanics. We just want to curl up into a tiny ball, disappear, and die.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    There was a really great post a while back about foods that people crave during that TOM....and it had to do with the hormones and the levels of different chemicals in the body that make you want to turn to sweets or salty foods....or high in fat foods...it was quite interesting but it was almost a year ago that it was posted =/
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    Well, women are similar once a month, except instead of trying to mate, our urge is to stomp our feet, throw things, cry uncontrollably, and otherwise kill people. Chocolate helps prevent the last part. It's not really controllable. It's more biomechanics. We just want to curl up into a tiny ball, disappear, and die.

:laugh: funny u should say that...I did all of that last night except chocolate ....I had a vat of french fries 2-3servings of animal crackers and chicken with rice all in one sitting before I started throwing my hissy tho... =/ maybe my body knew it was coming? :laugh:
  • roylawrence87
    Options
    Like when I have short uncontrollable fits of rage? I don't tear things up mind you. I just can control myself most of the time. Yes I get annoyed at things. Im basing this on a female roomate, whom I hate for one week out of the month. I think she cannot or willnot control herself. Im just thinking this. Don't know if its possible.
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    Like when I have short uncontrollable fits of rage? I don't tear things up mind you. I just can control myself most of the time. Yes I get annoyed at things. Im basing this on a female roomate, whom I hate for one week out of the month. I think she cannot or willnot control herself. Im just thinking this. Don't know if its possible.
    lol personally i don't think its controllable...because from my experience i say or do things i normally would never do for but one half a week- full week a month....its our excuse for being.......(insert bad word) once a month lol
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yep didn't know who TOM was. I have since gathered the info rather quickly though.

And you'll be paying for it for the rest of your life... :flowerforyou:

Nah. Just part of life sweetie.

LOL! :blushing: :laugh:
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm always really interested in peoples TOM experiences, all my life I've never seemed to get the bad mood swings, or at least if they're there it's not so bad that people go "oooh, someones PMSing!". I've asked my male friends, my dad, and my mom and sister if I ever seem to change a few days prior to the sudden "oh, crap, need a pad!" moment and they say I don't really. I have a diagnosed hormone imbalance, and so does my dad, I've wondered before if it has something to do with it, maybe something about my pre-existing levels makes it less noticeable.

Just makes me really curious. I hit puberty when I was 9 years old, and since then I get horrible cramps my first 2 days, like "lay in bed with a heating pad and cry all day" kind of pain where I pray to God for it to stop with tears in my eyes and a pillow over my head, I'm nearly non-functional.
    My doc told me that's not normal and put me on BC pills to regulate my cycle and try to ease the monthly severity of it, and all they did was make me vomit every day 4-6 hours after I took them, without fail. With side effects like that, I preferred the pain, and I didn't/don't need the pill anyway currently, so I've stayed off of it.

When it comes to cravings, I do seem to want chips and cheese more often, probably due to the salt. And I crave chocolate ALL the time, so that one never seems better or worse compared with my cycle.
  • kendall87
    Options
    Lol that is sooo me!! It really sucks...well the hungry all the time part sucks!
    I never know how I am going to stick to my diet when I get TOM. I can't seem to control myself when normally I am really good.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    the cravings and mood swings i really don't think are all that controlable.....but obviously we have control on if we actually cave into the craving. i normally allow myself 1 nanimo bar (when really i want the whole container..6 of them lmao) so that the craving is gone. my food intake i can control easier with willpower.

however mood swings and emotions seem to be uncontrolable. one minute i'm happy the next i'm pissy, then happy then crying....i'm all over the place sometimes. yet other times theres no mood swings, but horrible cramps.......just depends lol
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    I'm always really interested in peoples TOM experiences, all my life I've never seemed to get the bad mood swings, or at least if they're there it's not so bad that people go "oooh, someones PMSing!". I've asked my male friends, my dad, and my mom and sister if I ever seem to change a few days prior to the sudden "oh, crap, need a pad!" moment and they say I don't really. I have a diagnosed hormone imbalance, and so does my dad, I've wondered before if it has something to do with it, maybe something about my pre-existing levels makes it less noticeable.

Just makes me really curious. I hit puberty when I was 9 years old, and since then I get horrible cramps my first 2 days, like "lay in bed with a heating pad and cry all day" kind of pain where I pray to God for it to stop with tears in my eyes and a pillow over my head, I'm nearly non-functional.
    My doc told me that's not normal and put me on BC pills to regulate my cycle and try to ease the monthly severity of it, and all they did was make me vomit every day 4-6 hours after I took them, without fail. With side effects like that, I preferred the pain, and I didn't/don't need the pill anyway currently, so I've stayed off of it.

When it comes to cravings, I do seem to want chips and cheese more often, probably due to the salt. And I crave chocolate ALL the time, so that one never seems better or worse compared with my cycle.
    I started at the same age as u and likewise the cramps are unbearable...although i find eating alot of fresh fruit and drinking tons of water somewhat lessens the pains....as far as mood swings go...I am horrrrrrible and i think that PMS does happen to some people...people even know when I'm "ragging it" :laugh: i tend to get very very angry at the slightest things and then cry about nothing at all....my emotions are off the walls when I have my personal TOM....and because of that i tend to seclude myself from the outside world for a week or so ....it's really the worst feeling because you know you're making a fool out of yourself but at the same time you can't really do anything about it
  • roylawrence87
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it! Ill try to stay away when TOM comes along to wreak your life. I want to beat TOM with a very large stick.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I am definitely hungrier before my TOM...I rarely crave certain foods but I can't seem to get enough salty foods. It also is the only time that I have to have CHOCOLATE! Once I start I don't want much to eat...have to make myself get in what I need.

And everyone in my house (hubby and 2 sons) irritate the crap out of me before and during TOM!
    Thank GOD it doesn't last long...