Birth Control and Weight Loss

Options
Anyone else fighting the good fight? I have been on the depo shot for almost 7 months. Some said it wasn't possible to lose weight or that they had tried and it didn't work. I'm watching what I'm eating and doing Zumba at least 4 times a week. Yet I'm only losing 2 lbs a week. It gets to be frustrating but at least now I know that it's not impossible. Anyone else going thru the same thing. It doesn't have to be just the depo. Just any birth control.

Even though I'm losing the weight, this shot is really making me contemplate getting off and getting onto some that has less hormones.

Replies

• Katherinesfitness
    Options
    I have the implanon (BC implant) in my arm and my absolute beginning weight (I lost motivation half way) was 193 lb's and I lost 13 lb's while on that but like you said it was a slow process, 2 lb's a week, sometimes even less and I'm about the same now. I personally wouldn't worry because it is annoying not losing the weight quickly but you'd be gaining muscle tone as well doing zumba and anything else you do. :)
  • blcotton
    Options
    I was on depo for 5 months and in that short time I gained 25lbs from it. I know it had to be the shot because I was very active during this time, I am a zumba instructor so I was teaching twice a week plus dancing and exercising throughout the week when I didn't have class and was eating pretty well. I would not recommend for anyone to be on depo, in my personal opinion it really holds you back from losing weight at all. I just switched over to a different form and now am just starting to try to lose all the weight I gained from depo plus more. I want to lose about 50-60lbs so I have quite a ways to go! Good luck in figuring out what works for you:) Feel free to add me as a friend:)
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yet I'm only losing 2 lbs a week.

Only losing 2 pounds a week? I had to read that twice to make sure I wasn't confused. What exactly is wrong with losing 2 pounds a week?
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    It's nothing wrong with it. But before the shot I would lose more than that. So I know it's the shot. I'm contemplating just picking something else. I'm grateful for the weight loss I have experienced so far. But I work really hard and it's frustrating to have something hold me back.
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same situation. i lose... hardly anything at all, and i've been on here quite a while. my body just seems to not want to drop anything when i'm on birth control.
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i agree that 2 pounds a week is pretty fast
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The depo shot has been proven repeatedly to be terrible for you. I hope you did your research about it. It has been shown to cause loss of bone density and has correlated with higher breast cancer rates. However, 2 pounds a week is the absolute most you should be losing unless you're just starting out.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    BC doesn't make you gain weight, it just makes you want to eat more.

I've continued to lose weight since starting, but I also watch what I eat pretty closely.

All I can say is don't cave into to the cravings.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is fast not slow
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Birth control affects different women differently. I had no issues on the pill, but Mirena made it impossible to lose and caused a 25-pound gain.

Some women have no problems at all, but if that was the only change you made and you're gaining and/or not losing, it's probably the culprit. Some people will come in here and tell you the reason is that it makes you more hungry and so you eat more, which it can. But I was tracking my food and working out like crazy and nothing worked. I got it out and dropped 7 pounds without any effort at all.

EDIT: Crap. I need to learn to read more closely. If you're losing 2 pounds a week, your BC is NOT affecting your weight loss. That's a great loss.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion on weight loss and birth control (I was curious, that was why I was reading it)... but your comment "only two pounds a week" really struck me... What in the world is wrong with 2lbs a week? Yeah, maybe it seems to stink if you are only looking at it month for month... but in a year that is 100+ lbs... those 2lbs add up! I had weight loss surgery and my average was 2lbs a week... Those two pounds add up really quickly, you shouldn't let it be a downer.
  • butterflygurl89
    Options
    I didn't even know this was ever an issue? O_o
    I'm on the pill (zovia) and I'm still losing as long as I watch what I eat and stay active.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure because I've been on the pill for years, and I've gained and then lost it all. I can definitely say it's not impossible to lose weight, but I don't know if it made it any harder.

Also, if you used to lose more than 2 lbs per week, and now you're losing slower, it could be because the more weight you lose, the slower you start to lose it. I used to lose 2 lbs a week, I lost 15 lbs in two months, then the next 15 lbs took over a year. I'm sure the last 10-15 will take closer to two years.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It's nothing wrong with it. But before the shot I would lose more than that. So I know it's the shot. I'm contemplating just picking something else. I'm grateful for the weight loss I have experienced so far. But I work really hard and it's frustrating to have something hold me back.
    It is frustrating when meds have any negative side effects (especially weight issues!) and I would certainly investigate all your options, for many reasons. BC hormones can do a number on you. I once used the patch, and it gave me panic attacks. Didn't know it was causing them until they stopped almost immediately after I stopped the patch.

That being said, I looked at your ticker and you are fairly close to your goal. Your loss will naturally slow, and sometimes even stall for awhile when you are close to a normal body weight. Maybe that's it.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    u are lucky to lose those pounds every week because when I was on the pill, I gained 30 pounds. I was in step aerobics every morning also......
  • Kristen_nicole95
    Kristen_nicole95 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth crontrol and I've lost almost 70 pounds since march.
    I'm on a low dosage though, just for period regulation. Maybe
    that's the difference?
  • Candijean1988
    Options
    I have done the depo, pill and am now on the mirena insert. I did stall for a while but I am still losing weight.. I do believe it slows you down.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Yet I'm only losing 2 lbs a week.

Only losing 2 pounds a week? I had to read that twice to make sure I wasn't confused. What exactly is wrong with losing 2 pounds a week?

This! 2 a week is good!
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If only 2 lbs a week is bad for you then wow. On a good week I lose at least 2 lbs! lol I'm on ortho cyclen and it doesn't mess with my moods and hunger too much so I've been able to lose weight.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i have never been on the shot before, but i have been on the pill for a few years. i haven't really noticed any problems with weight loss and birth control, my friend was on the shot and she gained a lot of weight from it