What do you eat for Thanksgiving - Curious Australian

Options
2»

Replies

• xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey there I am a Yank living in Australia, so I love this topic. I get asked all the time. It is hard to find some of the stuff I would normally cook for Thanksgiving here, so I usually get a little creative and make a few things.
    Pumpkin pie is a staple at Thanksgiving dinner, and since I can't find the canned pureed stuff here, I just roast and puree my own pumpkin.
    Cranberry sauce and Turkey of course (I think you can order a whole turkey from the butchers but I just buy the small portion since there is only a couple of us).
    I love green bean casserole, so I have that every year. If you find a recipe and are trying to follow it you will notice that you can't get French's onions here, but a good substitute is "fried shallots" in the Asian grocery section.
    The rest is pretty easy, any other side dishes you like.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Turkey with cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, pumpkin torte, stuffed celery, baked.apples, good homestyle food cooked by family and friends.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    We celebrated twice (once with each family):

Both families had:

Roasted turkey
    Glazed ham
    Mashed potatoes made with milk, butter, salt, pepper
    Sweet potatoes - one family made them like mashed potatoes, the other roasted them with some sort of sauce
    Cranberry sauce - Canned or homemade
    bread / rolls
    Corn pudding (similar to a corn casserole?)
    Green beans

Black olives, tortilla chips with guacamole, and a crudite tray are a tradition on my side.
    Pumpkin roll for dessert is a tradition on his.

When my family does it, we do it "pot luck" / "Covered Dish" style, where everybody brings a piece of the meal. The host cooks the meat and everyone else brings side dishes and desserts. :) Makes the cleanup easier.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    pork loin roast wrapped in a pastry puff , mashed potatoes with skins, gravy, corn, green bean casserole, biscuits , cranberry sauce, caramel apple crumb pie, praline pumpkin pie
  • cathrinboerma
    cathrinboerma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WOW - thanks everyone for your responses - it has given me a great idea about recipes but think that i need to hold it every day for a week to fit it all in!!!!

Pray that you all had a amazing time with family and reflecting on how great live really is :-)

Thanks again:flowerforyou: :heart: :smile: