Kettlebell Workout

Options
Hi there, can anyone recommend a good kettlebell workout? My gym has kettlebells, but I've never even picked one up.

Replies

• Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump 'cause I'm curious too!
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just started using "The Firm Kettlebell" workout purchased at Walmart for under $20 (I've also seen it on Amazon.com and Ebay) and it comes with a 5lb Kettlebell and a 45 minute DVD. First day that I did it I was sore from arms to my legs :happy: but it felt great....I'm still at the beginners level and I try to do it at least 3 times a week. With the holiday I fell off but i'm starting back up this week.

I enjoy the DVD because she has 2 levels beginners and advance so where ever you are in your work out level you can follow along with or without the kettlebell. If you purchase this make sure go through the instructions first, she will teach you all the position of the kettlebell before you do the actual workout and that helps alot because it helps you flow right along with them without having to stop and figure out how to do each workout.

I hope this helps :smile: :smile: :smile:

Good Luck...
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's very helpful.
  • amadacorazon
    amadacorazon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have some friends who swear by kettle bell workouts.

Here is one the links they follow

https://www.facebook.com/TracyReifkindTheSwing?fref=ts
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi there, can anyone recommend a good kettlebell workout? My gym has kettlebells, but I've never even picked one up.

Kettlebell swings. Fantastic exercise. Great for conditioning. Will get the heart rate and sweat going.
    Kettlebell snatch, kettlebell overhead press, kettlebell squat, kettlebell jump squats, deadlift, lunges, front raises, side raises, kettlebell side bends, good mornings, kettlebell rows, and on and on and on. Just get creative.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Kettlebell swings. Fantastic exercise. Great for conditioning. Will get the heart rate and sweat going.
    Kettlebell snatch, kettlebell overhead press, kettlebell squat, kettlebell jump squats, deadlift, lunges, front raises, side raises, kettlebell side bends, good mornings, kettlebell rows, and on and on and on. Just get creative.

All of those are great, and my trainer puts me through a variety of them depending on whether we are doing push day or pull day. Today it was push day, and we did the Turkish Get Up. Here's a link to a video which explains the exercise and a variant on how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRBvom4Zrw&feature=plcp

It's a brutal exercise, especially with a 25lb. kettlebell, and you do 6 reps per arm. :)
  • Michaelene2012
    Options
    Bump looks hard but worth trying
  • akd06004
    akd06004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do this circuit at the gym with kettle bells all the time. I usually do 3 circuits, it takes about 30 minutes and I think its an awesome workout!

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/kettlebell-workout
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    The best KB workouts! http://www.artofstrength.com
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you're a fan of Jillian Michaels, her dvd "Shred It" uses kettlebells.
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some great resources to look into here!
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    love this website:

myomytv.com
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump
    I love my Kettllbell!
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a 10lb one. Is that about average for these DVD's or do I need heavier ones? I haven't done anything except swings and I would love to try more!
  • devchang
    Options
    I used to follow a kettlbell sport workout that just consists of single KB snatches or double KB long cycle. 2 sets of 10min (2-3x a week) on top of a regular cardio routine. Most certified KB trainers can be traced back to a few individuals, and they're all on youtube if you wanna get deeper into it: Valery Fedorenko, Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell, Mike Mahler, and Pavel Tsatsouline. There's also the Ice Chamber kettlebell team that also puts up some great training videos.

I think Jillian Michaels is good for everything else but please, don't use her KB workouts as that will make you slip a disc. There were so many complaints for the KB community about the form she uses on swings that they had to pull the DVD in some stores.
  • devchang
    Options
    I have a 10lb one. Is that about average for these DVD's or do I need heavier ones? I haven't done anything except swings and I would love to try more!

Just gotta listen to your body – it'll tell you if 10 lbs is too easy. If you can go over 100 perfect swings without stopping under 5 mins, you might wanna try a heavier bell.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

10 lb bells are only recommended for physical therapy purposes. If you are healthy and have no physical health problems it's recommended even weak women start out with 15 lb bells and move up as needed. The reason why is because the swing, the fundamental KB move, is supposed to be a full body exercise that heavily works the glutes, quads, and hamstrings. Using a bell that's too light makes proper form virtually impossible and leads to injury.
  • Cgall1
    Cgall1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump