need a new workout goal

Options
just reached my current goal today and am in need of a new one any suggestions?

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What was your last goal that you just hit?
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    bench 15 over my body weight im gonna go for 20 next but i want something else to add to it
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    You any good with snatches or cleans?

Or maybe even a clean and press. It takes coordination, but it's epic to watch, and a powerhouse move
  • djames92
    Options
    ive tried before but because of rugby i have problems with my lower back so those arent the best for me
  • moeheep
    moeheep Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Deadlift twice your body weight

Not only will it add mass everywhere, it will really help your back
  • djames92
    Options
    ill have to give that a shot then ive never done deadlifts before so thats a good goal!
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Deadlifting is the epitome of picking up something heavy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I

This is the best video I have seen on how to properly perform a deadlift while protecting your neck, back, and core.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    ive tried before but because of rugby i have problems with my lower back so those arent the best for me

If you have a problem with your back, I would not recommend the deadlift. At least not without someone coaching you.
  • djames92
    Options
    ill see if i can find someone to coach me then thanks for the advice
    Options
    I did too started last week swimming twice a week. Found a free community pool, did 800 meters today! Thats 32 laps.. Oh ya baBe. Try that on for size ;) I rocked it, my food too. Feel great!
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Honestly though, You say you have a bad back, the solution is to challenge it, to work it and strengthen the muscles to increase your abilities than to run from it.

If you have a spinal injury or torn ligaments that's one thing, I was in a car accident 2 years ago where I broke 4 of my lower lumbar vertebrae, and deadlifting and squats really hurt me at first. My back hurt, but I kept going with the supervision of my doctor and my trainer. I am now squatting 205 and deadlifting the same. Injuries just mean that you have to train smarter, and reinforce the weak areas with more attention and focus. If you don't have perfect form, lift lighter until you get perfect form. Weight lifting with perfect form will almost, almost equal no injuries, and you'll be amazed at the progress.

You must go slow, you have to be careful and have a spotter. But you also must lift to strengthen. Think about what you will feel in 20 or 30 years. If you strengthen your back and your core, you will be able to stay pain free, and keep from having back issues later in life.