JUST DANCE!!

Options
I'm curious I had heard about JUST DANCE for the Wii here on MFP. I don't know how many calories I burned but what I do know is that I was averaging about 500 steps a song. Does anyone know how to figure out the amount of calories burned and how would I log this into my excercise journal. All I know for sure is that I am working up a sweat and having a blast doing it..any suggestions, thoughts or comments would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• hopeandfaith24
    Options
    i love just dance. i wish it would tell you how many calories you burned.
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've burned as much as 800 cals in an hour.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I heard that game is awesome and I so want to get it...!! dancing is probably one of the most fun ways to exercise for me anyway :bigsmile: the best way to find out how many calories u burned it getting a HRM (heart rate monitor)...because everyone burns cals differently that way you'll know for sure how many u burned and u can keep an accurate count...but dancing deffinately burns tons of cals...have fun getting your exercise on and burning those cals :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • danielleconnor
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help or not, but what about getting a pedometer. I bought one for only like $7 at WalMart and it counts my steps and tells me how many calories I've burned!!! It's really great and it was super cheap! You should try to look into it and hopefully that will help! I'm very interested in purchasing that game because it looks SUPER FUN & I LOVE my zumba class I go to with my friends and that would be something great to have at home to do daily as well!!!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Here's an interesting tidbit of an article about Dancing... :flowerforyou:

"Reason to Put on Your Dancing Shoes
    Treadmills and exercise bikes are great ways to get in shape, but your body can quickly get used to the technique—meaning you begin to see fewer results over time. Dancing, however, is multi-directional and forces your muscles to move in new ways. If you’re doing the foxtrot, you’re taking long, graceful steps backwards, for example—a move you’d never make running on a treadmill. By working your muscles in new ways, dancing can help you get over or prevent that dreaded plateau (when you stop getting results from your fitness routine). "

The whole article can be read at:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=850
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    Here's an interesting tidbit of an article about Dancing... :flowerforyou:

"Reason to Put on Your Dancing Shoes
    Treadmills and exercise bikes are great ways to get in shape, but your body can quickly get used to the technique—meaning you begin to see fewer results over time. Dancing, however, is multi-directional and forces your muscles to move in new ways. If you’re doing the foxtrot, you’re taking long, graceful steps backwards, for example—a move you’d never make running on a treadmill. By working your muscles in new ways, dancing can help you get over or prevent that dreaded plateau (when you stop getting results from your fitness routine). "

The whole article can be read at:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=850
    thank you for the article from the beginning statements it sounds interesting and I'm deffinately going to read it :flowerforyou:
  • mamtz26
    mamtz26 Posts: 22
    Options
    That is encouraging ...my kids and I have been on it for over 4 hours ...we are very competative so I know I had to have at least 800 calories done thanks!
  • mamtz26
    Options
    Yes ...I have take Zumba in the past and many of the moves on the game were moves we did in class!! I do have a podometer but mine does not monitor the heart rate. Thanks for he suggestionw MFP friends I will definately take them to heart !! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • HMBradley42
    Options
    I have just dance too and it is so fun and you sweat up a storm....I just put in under the excercise dancing general....it said for 60 minutes 265 calories....That sounds good....I know when I play the game I play at least 1 hr especially if you are playing with someone else....
  • mamtz26
    Options
    This is awesome news thanks!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Can you ladies tell me anything about it? Does it require a mat or anything special? I saw it before it came out and am interested.
  • mamtz26
    Options
    If you have the Wii then all you need is a remote and lots of energy cause your going to just love it.
    Its better if you do it with friends or family my kids and I have been on for hours just trying to beat each others scores ... we are even going to invest in another remote so we can all play together at the same time as a family!:happy:
  • HMBradley42
    Options
    All you need is wii and a controller and it has music Like MC Hammer and you follow the dance...There's about 30 songs on it I believe and I will tell you it is so much fun and you will sweat like crazy...

There is another calculator and I put in my weight 130 and 60 minutes of dancing and it gave a total of 351 calories burned
    I would probably just use the calculator on MFP..But the address for the other calculator I tried is http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Thanks, it sounds better than DDR, which I bought but didn't really care for much. It's $30 on Amazon, so I might pick it up.
  • blamb
    blamb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Go to this website and see if it's what your looking for???????:smile:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • blamb
    Options
    Go here and see if this will help you.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • mamtz26
    Options
    That's about right I paid $30 at Game stop new!! They didn't have any used ...they said cause it was just that good that no one had returned one yet!!!!!
  • mamtz26
    Options
    Thank you for the site based on my weight I am losing 702 calories an hour on this game....Loving it !!
  • HMBradley42
    Options
    I'm not sure I would take 700 cals to heart...I am probably wrong but that seems super high...
  • blamb
    Options
    Well I just ordered the Wii Just Dance, I hope I like it. You made it sound like so much fun.