Depression and exercise!

Options
Hi, I mainly exercise to deal with my depression symptoms, buts its been extremely hard to get motivated lately! I've suffered from depression on and off for over 15 yrs, two yrs ago I started exercising to loose some weight and found it to also help me with my depression, I've been off depression meds for 1 1/2 yrs now, but I haven't been exercising lately due to having a new job which has ended up being more stressful than I bargain for, besides working FT, I also have two children and a husband who is not supportive :(
What should I do to get back in to it, I really don't want to rely on meds to get me out of this slump!
Any suggestions?

Replies

• RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Take the kids to the park to play! Run around. Play tag (on the playground equipment is great). Do pull-ups and monkey bars. Have them throw water balloons at you. Soccer, basketball, whatever, just keep moving. It's a four-in-one: 1) exercise, 2) anti-depression medicine, 3) great memories with kids, and 4) extra anti-depression medicine because it's fun!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    You find time for others....move yourself up to the top of the list. Those around you will benefit to...just a thought.
  • HisEminence
    Options
    Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead...:)
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Take the kids to the park to play! Run around. Play tag (on the playground equipment is great). Do pull-ups and monkey bars. Have them throw water balloons at you. Soccer, basketball, whatever, just keep moving. It's a four-in-one: 1) exercise, 2) anti-depression medicine, 3) great memories with kids, and 4) extra anti-depression medicine because it's fun!

BTW: I have also been on anti-depression meds off and on for 15 years, and exercise and lifestyle are great, but if you can't get out of bed and do what you need to do, there is absolutely no shame in just looking at it as a chemical problem and deciding to stay on meds for the rest of your life. I struggled for a long time before deciding I really do need to stay on the medication to function how I want to function. I still have to do all the other stuff to take care of myself, but the extra "help" from the medication has improved my quality of life tremendously. I would never go back to trying to struggle through it on my own.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Its hard when your life is so full and you say you dont have support from your husband. Would waking up a lil early work? Get the work out first thing. (I personally never do this- but ppl that do swear it gets easier!)

I do know this much- I feel SO much better when exercising regularly and you know you will too. If not early in the morning- as someone else said- twice around the park (or block) with the kids right before (or after? ) dinner - if nothing else. Run off their energy, quality time AND you can burn a lil - throw in 10 jumping jacks 3 or 4 times- have the kids join in. Play tag and run - play leap frog and jump- play ring around the rosy and be silly :flowerforyou: but just be active and enjoy your kids if nothing else.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Try playing on a Nintendo WII or Kinect, fun exercise and the kids can join in with you..you can try something like bach rescue remedy or Kalms if you are feeling particulary low
  • kimmywodrich
    kimmywodrich Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Depression is an issue with chemistry, not character. So if the meds help, I vote use them!
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    While I've always had a melancholic temperament, I struggled with depression as I was wrapping up a career as a pastor. Was taking antidepressant meds, but stopped them.

Life turned around when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Day 1 with CPAP machine I started sleeping well for the first time in years, and that was the start of my journey out of the wretched blackness.

I'm still melancholic, I still battle waves of "the blues" and I exercise extra hard those days and it helps to turn things around for me.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Find an active hobby that gets you moving but doesn't sound like a workout to you. I recommend taking up a flow art... hula hoop, fire spinning, poi, juggling, buugeng, contact, diabolo, rope dart, tech fans, staff... something like that. They are highly addictive, a great workout, plus you'll meet a lot of new friends which can help depression, and all flow arts by their very nature are meditative, so there's depression benefits there too.

If flow arts doesn't ring your bell, there's plenty of other similar ideas: dancing, hiking, lasertag, frisbee golf etc... anything that is fun to you but doesn't register in your head as 'exercise' will do.
  • latinlore21
    Options
    Haha! thank you for those suggestions! I will start working on all of them! My kids need more of my attention, so its a win win situation! The only problem right now is that I live in Wisconsin, so getting to play outside after work is not always possible, its colder then heck right now, and its dark when i get home :( but i will play with them when its nicer and try to play more inside :)
  • latinlore21
    Options

Love all the 4 points :) thank you!
  • latinlore21
    Options
    You find time for others....move yourself up to the top of the list. Those around you will benefit to...just a thought.

Yes, I need to do more of that :) I like going to the gym, takes me away from everything, but getting there is the problem, I always find excuses!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Haha! thank you for those suggestions! I will start working on all of them! My kids need more of my attention, so its a win win situation! The only problem right now is that I live in Wisconsin, so getting to play outside after work is not always possible, its colder then heck right now, and its dark when i get home :( but i will play with them when its nicer and try to play more inside :)

Bundle up and get some outdoor lights! Keep moving to keep warm.
  • latinlore21
    Options
    :smile:

BTW: I have also been on anti-depression meds off and on for 15 years, and exercise and lifestyle are great, but if you can't get out of bed and do what you need to do, there is absolutely no shame in just looking at it as a chemical problem and deciding to stay on meds for the rest of your life. I struggled for a long time before deciding I really do need to stay on the medication to function how I want to function. I still have to do all the other stuff to take care of myself, but the extra "help" from the medication has improved my quality of life tremendously. I would never go back to trying to struggle through it on my own.

Awesome thought! No one needs to know that i'm on meds but me and my Dr. so I shouldn't be ashame, I may need to schedule a appointment with my Dr. soon! I know that its only going to get worse in the winter. Thank you for all your great suggestions and encourament, its nice to see that I'm not the only one that is struggling with depression.
    And by the way, I only wish that I was 15, and yes that is my picture :smile:
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Please look into anti depression medication. My father has struggled with depression for my whole life. I don't think he fully realizes the impact it had on my brother and I growing up. As kids, we honestly felt like we had done something wrong, or that he just wasn't interested in playing with us or going to our activities. He was rarely excited about anything and even though he was a loving father, he spent an inordinate amount of time in his room in bed. We will never get that time back. Now that I am an adult, I recognize the pattern of him taking anti depressants and getting better; then he thinks he's better and doesn't need them anymore and spiraled into depression again. It would often be years of depression before he finally got back on the meds and the pattern repeated itself. Finally at nearly 70 years old he's back on the meds (this time for good I hope).

He has also tried every lifestyle thing you could think of to "naturally" alleviate his symptoms including exercise, herbs, vitamins, diet, etc. Those things may have helped slightly, but his depression is chemical and chronic. Anyway, this may not apply to you at all, but just wanted to share my experience since you have children. Like I said, my dad didn't think at the time that his depression would affect my brother and I like it did.
  • latinlore21
    Options
    Its hard when your life is so full and you say you dont have support from your husband. Would waking up a lil early work? Get the work out first thing. (I personally never do this- but ppl that do swear it gets easier!)

I do know this much- I feel SO much better when exercising regularly and you know you will too. If not early in the morning- as someone else said- twice around the park (or block) with the kids right before (or after? ) dinner - if nothing else. Run off their energy, quality time AND you can burn a lil - throw in 10 jumping jacks 3 or 4 times- have the kids join in. Play tag and run - play leap frog and jump- play ring around the rosy and be silly :flowerforyou: but just be active and enjoy your kids if nothing else.

I've tried getting up earlie and going to the gym, it doesn't work...I'm just not a morning person! I do get up at 6 am for work, but i can't get up any earlier.
    I'm absolutely going to try to spend more time with my kids, that will surely make me feel better. And I'll try to make it to the gym after work at least 3 days per week. I know the feeling after a good workout! Its an awesome feeling!
    Thank you for your suggestions!
  • latinlore21
    Options
    Try playing on a Nintendo WII or Kinect, fun exercise and the kids can join in with you..you can try something like bach rescue remedy or Kalms if you are feeling particulary low

I used to play alot more Wii, I should start doing that again! I like Just Dance 3, that always makes me feel better and gets me some exercise! Thank you!
  • latinlore21
    Options
    Depression is an issue with chemistry, not character. So if the meds help, I vote use them!

Very true! I need to get back to them i think :)
  • latinlore21
    Options
    While I've always had a melancholic temperament, I struggled with depression as I was wrapping up a career as a pastor. Was taking antidepressant meds, but stopped them.

Life turned around when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Day 1 with CPAP machine I started sleeping well for the first time in years, and that was the start of my journey out of the wretched blackness.

I'm still melancholic, I still battle waves of "the blues" and I exercise extra hard those days and it helps to turn things around for me.

Its awesome that you found the real problem! I actually feel like I sleep too much :(
    I've been trying to hit the gym when i feel bad, but then convince myself that I should just go home, then I feel guilty at home that I didn't go to the gym and its a never ending cycle!
  • latinlore21
    Options
    Find an active hobby that gets you moving but doesn't sound like a workout to you. I recommend taking up a flow art... hula hoop, fire spinning, poi, juggling, buugeng, contact, diabolo, rope dart, tech fans, staff... something like that. They are highly addictive, a great workout, plus you'll meet a lot of new friends which can help depression, and all flow arts by their very nature are meditative, so there's depression benefits there too.

If flow arts doesn't ring your bell, there's plenty of other similar ideas: dancing, hiking, lasertag, frisbee golf etc... anything that is fun to you but doesn't register in your head as 'exercise' will do.

Great idea! the thought of exercise just seems like going to "work" again! I do enjoy doing some of the classes at the gym, like kick boxing, but they are not always offered when i'm available. I need to find something that I can do after work and that will keep me moving! I will look into some of the things that you suggested, it doesn't hurt to try them so see what I like best!