Running vs jogging for slimmer legs?

Options
I am sure I once read that jogging will build larger legs whilst running(faster speeds) will slim legs down?
Is there any truth to this?

Replies

• mcgeheeks
    Options
    I have no "trainer" knowledge BUT I do run... so here is my take on this question:
    I just finished training for and running the Marine Corps Marathon. I can honestly say I don't think I lost a single inch from my legs- in fact I think my pants fit tighter than they did 6 months ago! Super frustrating!!! Anyway- I feel like when I ran faster rather than farther I made more progress on "toning" what I've got. I have muscular legs (always have). Just my 2 cents. I'd love to hear if my theory is true!?
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No
  • hayeskw
    hayeskw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Think about what the legs of sprinters in track and field look like vs. the long distance runners. Both are at the top of their game but could be comparison to runners vs. joggers could be made.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running vs. jogging is more of a state of mind that a definition of speed.

Don't call me a jogger!
  • QTRARO
    QTRARO Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I found that running / jogging ... just doing interval training with pilates using a band helped slim my legs down.

I think my thighs got muscly a bit from squats but that's ok for me as I like definition.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Think about what the legs of sprinters in track and field look like vs. the long distance runners. Both are at the top of their game but could be comparison to runners vs. joggers could be made.

Hayeskw is right. Look at serious sprinters compared with serious distance runners. Distance runners are thin and lithe. Sprinters are thick and muscular. That should answer your question. Your statement has it backwards.
    That said, unless you are a male teenager, it is extremely difficult to build muscle with running alone. I have run for about 30 years, longer really if you include being a kid. I have played soccer most of that time -- sprinting between 4 miles and 7 miles a game. I have trained seriously on steep hills. My legs have never gotten noticeably bigger.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I have legs that tend to get pretty muscular with certain forms of exercise, in particular my calves and don't really wish them to be any larger. Same with my butt actually, it changes shape and sticks out more with certain exercises, which is really not my aim, haha. I notice that more with high intensity cycling than anything else.
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've had skinny legs all my life until I started running a couple of years ago. They are still slim...but noticeably more muscle. Evidently, I don't "gain" in my legs.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Err....not really. First of all, there's a huge genetic element you're neglecting. Furthermore, you're talking about olympic level people (or 'elite' runners) who spend years upon years developing those bodies. It's not like an average runner has much likelihood of looking like an elite marathoner or an olympic sprinter. They train as their careers and tailor their diets to become that way- sprinters need more muscle, so they EAT to maintain the muscle and hit the gym hard to keep it developed, marathon runners eat entirely different diets and training programs. They generally eat a lot of carbohydrates and log a ton of miles.

Jogging and running for the average person are generally just different lingo for what I call running, which is LISS, MISS and some interval training- most people here don't log a ton of miles- not even close to enough to get an elite marathoner or ultramarathoner's body. Not even on the same scale as enough. The closest thing to a sprinter's training is HIIT, and again, it's not even close to enough. It's like comparing the average swimmer to michael phelps.

OP- Run as much as you like to. If you start seeing changes you don't like, cut back on your running. It's not like you'll get irreversible damage- if that were possible, people would just run until they got the legs they want and quit.

There's zero truth to the slim legs from running/thick legs from jogging thing- it's just nonsense.

I heard a great line one time to describe the difference between runners and joggers- Joggers are the ones that when they get caught at a stop light hop around and jog in place, runners are the ones that just look irritated that they have to wait.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it is somewhat genetic and/or based on body type? No matter what kind of exercise I do I lose weight in my legs first.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I heard a great line one time to describe the difference between runners and joggers- Joggers are the ones that when they get caught at a stop light hop around and jog in place, runners are the ones that just look irritated that they have to wait.
    Ha! Love this! :bigsmile:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any distinct difference between running and jogging, for one. I don't think it will make a huge difference either.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No
  • Sharkington
    Options

Hahaha, yes that really is a great line. : )
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Err....not really. First of all, there's a huge genetic element you're neglecting. Furthermore, you're talking about olympic level people (or 'elite' runners) who spend years upon years developing those bodies.

Yeah, the sprinters have big legs because they do squats and other exercises in the gym aimed at developing the power in their legs. The endurance runners don't need the same kind of power and any superfluous muscle will slow them down, so they don't work on developing it. In training, both sprinters and endurance runners do mostly slow/easy running (jogging?). Of course, their "easy" pace is faster than most of us race.

OP, if you're looking to lose fat from your legs, just create a deficit with your diet and exercise and be patient. It might be the last area you lose. Running won't significantly affect the size of the muscle in your legs. My legs are basically the same size after running (jogging?) 1700 miles in the last 3 years and losing 50 pounds of fat from elsewhere in my body.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I have legs that tend to get pretty muscular with certain forms of exercise, in particular my calves and don't really wish them to be any larger. Same with my butt actually, it changes shape and sticks out more with certain exercises, which is really not my aim, haha. I notice that more with high intensity cycling than anything else.

My legs haven't gotten bigger, but they are very slow to get smaller (unfortunately!). With my thighs and calves, what I've noticed is that I'll go 5 months with no loss in inches (while losing about 15 to 20 lbs. in that time) and then BAM...I drop half an inch off my thighs and 1/4 of an inch off my calves.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Running vs. jogging is more of a state of mind that a definition of speed.

Don't call me a jogger!

Agreed!
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Since when was jogging not running?
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There is no difference between the two words. Jogging is running. If you aren't walking, you're running. There aren't any definitions for pacing where you move from walking to fast walking to jogging to running. More often than not it's just a mind set like someone else said, people who don't go as fast assume they are "only" jogging. There's no only about it. A runner runs and a walker walks and any thing else is just semantics.

That being said, you are unlikely to bulk up unless you weight train to bulk up. And being a girl, that's going to be very hard to do anyway. Once you lose fat over your muscles, you might look more sculpted and defined, but you're not going to get a male pro-runner bulk.

Running, whatever speed you do it at, will give you stronger legs and more endurance and all kinds of other awesome side effects though.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Most "runners" i know are NOT technically runners. Running is a gate where BOTH feet are not in contact with the ground for parts of the stride. I think that Jogging just sounded un-cool, so they adopted "running" to describe their 15 minute miles. I think that its generally accepted that jogging is a slow run. If you really drill into it, it does get interesting. for example one might assume that walk is slowest, then a jog, then running, and finally sprinting. I will agree that sprinting is fastest, but on the lower end, a competitive speed walker is faster than most "runners" but their exaggerated gate is designed to meet the rules of walking (one foot always in contact with the ground).

I say that the best form of exercise is the one that you do. I could really care less about labels overall, and if you want to call it running, gliding, or whatever then no skin off my back.

I have a friend that must be one of the slowest "runners" on earth, but hes out there and trying. during the olympics he was watching every distance running event, because that was "his sport". Im not going to rain on his parade and point out that what he is doing barely resembles elite runners, because I think his passion is great and if it gets him off the couch then I will watch it with him. The only bad note: the local running club is more of a drinking club with a running problem and his diet is HORRIBLE. hes running all the time but i think he is gaining weight.. Oh well..