Should I stop drinking soda all together?

Options
Whenever I drink soda, it's diet. I usually drink two bottles of water durning the day, but do you think I'd see results if I quit drinking diet soda, and soda all together, and just stuck to unsweetened tea and water?

Replies

• GreenieBean
    Options
    I would cut out soda all together. They say even if you drink the diet soda, it makes you crave more sugar.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    define "results." are you struggling?
  • 100x2xLose
    Options
    How much are you drinking on a given day?

If it's one or fewer on average, I'd say not to worry too much. If it's more, the sodium may be making you retain water! It doesn't hurt to try, in any case.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yes you should.
  • Keltinator
    Keltinator Posts: 265
    Options
    soda makes you bloated, so you wouldn't be bloated as often... i don't know as far as weight loss is concerned.

but really if you have the willpower, why not cut it out anyways? lol :smile: it couldn't hurt, right?
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet pop for about 3 weeks, didn't lose any more weight than when I was drinking it. I started drinking it again and my weight loss is going great.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda all together because it was empty calories that made me crave more, and when I got soda at a restaurant, free refills were my downfall. Cutting out soda altogether and upping my water to the minimum 64 ounces I haven't missed soda at all and I feel overall better. Not to mention I saved those empty calories to use for real food that does more for my body and health. Definitely a win/win if you stop drinking soda. Eventually you'll get to where you drink a soda after not having one in a while and find it doesn't have the same appeal.
  • lchisum
    lchisum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did and lost 5lbs right off the bat. It's been 1 month and I am down 9lbs and have let myself have a glass of soda on 2 occasions...any other time, I am drinking water. I have absolutely no regrets! But be warned, the trick is not to just quit the sodas! You really do have to increase your water intake...don't substitue other drinks for the water...
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Yes:flowerforyou:
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    i quit DIET soda a year ago, at the time it was ALL i drank no kidding. i quit it in the hopes i would lose more weight, everyone swore i would due to the sodium and the fake sugar blah blah blah. i didn't lose one mealy pound! i have however been diet soda free for a year now. all i drink is water i just feel better without it both physically and mentally
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I'd only say yes if you think you could actually see yourself without it for life...if not then just cut back and drink one or two...every now and then, but I wouldnt make a habit of it :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: yes, you should absolutely give up soda, regular and diet and all carbonated beverages
    not only for weight loss but for your health in general.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Diet soda doesn't make you gain or lose weight... calorie consumption and exercise or lack thereof are the only two things that contribute to your weight gain or loss. If you want to quit diet soda because you want to eat more "cleanly," or because it causes other health issues for you, then those are good reasons. There is no reason to think that DIET soda is inhibiting you from losing weight.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Diet soda doesn't make you gain or lose weight... calorie consumption and exercise or lack thereof are the only two things that contribute to your weight gain or loss. If you want to quit diet soda because you want to eat more "cleanly," or because it causes other health issues for you, then those are good reasons. There is no reason to think that DIET soda is inhibiting you from losing weight.

I'm not a doctor but I just wanted to point out that, while I generally agree that a bit of diet soda is not likely to greatly reduce your ability to lose weight, there IS some thinking in the medical field (and some published studies) linking diet soda with metabolic syndrome. Calories in, calories out is the basic formula, yes. But I think that there are a lot of things out there (not just diet soda, but pesticides, plastics, hormones, etc.) that might be wreaking havoc on our endocrine systems. That might mess with someone's ability to lose weight. The reason that so many super lean, fit people advocate clean eating is that the quality of the calories count too, and that includes not being full of all sorts of things that might mess with system. At least that is my take on the matter.
  • sspalding
    sspalding Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was a coke-a-cola addict! I stopped cold turkey so I still have days I want a soda. My new drink on those days is a sprite zero with crystal light of any flavor added to it. I get 5 calories from the crystal light and 35 mg of sodium from the sprite zero. I can have my carbonation and be healthy also. Good Luck!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to one of the published studies I mentioned, just in case anyone is interested. http://care.diabetesjournals.org.floyd.lib.umn.edu/content/32/4/688.long

Edit because I don't think you'll be able to access that link without being a student at my university. The citation is Nettleton et al. (2009) "Diet Soda Intake and Risk of Incident Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)"
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    All humans are chemical creatures and anything that is not natural will do odd things to us. Any chemical imbalance will do strange things. Calorie in/Calorie out is good and all but if something is tweaked on the chemical side of things it could wreak your metabolism and make you tired. So I just quit all sodas and drink only water. And Im vegan. The health benefits are great. Never felt better in my life. My head is always clear. Its a nice feeling and I would recommend to all!
  • Tracey0829
    Options
    I have always drank Diet Pepsi Caffeine Free! Absolutely the stuff, but when I started this adventure I decided to drink water. I have never ever been a fan of water. But now for the last month I have found myself loving good cold water. I do use the Crystal light, this only adds 5-10 calories so it is worth it to me. I did have a Diet Pepsi on Thursday and I noticed that I did not have to go to the bathroom like when I drink water. So I believe the sodium does make you keep the water in your body! Which is not a good thing!!
  • sendmoretigers
    Options
    stay away from soda entirely. absolutely nothing good about it.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will effect your weight loss at all. Diet soda has very little sodium and as long as you are drinking a lot of water (2 bottles? What size?) it really won't affect it very much. However, I found when I quite soda that I stopped craving sweet things so much. I've read that diet soda is so much sweeter (due to the fake sugar which is bad for you and the main reason I wanted to quite) it makes your tolerance for sweets higher. I completely agree with this idea.
    I do have to add, I have been unable to stop my soda addiction and will continue the struggle when I get back from vacation :smile: