Should you weigh yourself everyday?

Options
Hello

Just thought I would throw this question out there...........

Should you weigh yourself everyday?

Gem x

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    easier than every minute or every hour.
  • tazzy2805
    Options
    nope as ur body goes through loads of changes in a week same time same scales once a week b4 breakfast
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You're going to hear a lot of different opinions on this, but I think the right answer is just whatever works for you. If weighing yourself everyday is helpful for you to see every little change in weight then go for it. I know that I personally can't handle stepping on the scale every single day because it will end up stressing me out. I typically weigh myself once, or maybe twice, a week and leave it at that.
  • kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    No, i wouldnt weigh urself everyday.. casue ur going to get disappointed because ur weight fluctuates. once a week or even once every two weeks is better. plus once you see that you lost some weight you will be motivated to keep on going. I suggest doing it in the morning after you use the bathroom and before you eat. lol I also suggest measuring every 2 to 6 weeks because sometimes the number on the scale isn't going to matter. you could be losing inches and sill be maintaing the same weight. good luck! XD
  • fiercekindness
    fiercekindness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's all what you are comfortable. Daily weights can be rather frustrating for some because of the flucations, but if you can handle that, I say go for it. I weigh myself daily, because I find that it keeps me accountable and also desensitizes me to the scale.
  • SHillier1983
    SHillier1983 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning but more for motivation, I only log my weight once I have lost a significant amount (anything over 0.5kg) I know sometimes it will be up and sometimes it will be the same but it just makes me aware if how I am eating and the effect of different exercise on my body. It is completely up to you! When you start becoming obsessed about the scale number is when you have to worry.
  • emersonkelly
    Options
    I do check my weight once in a month!!
  • Hayliela
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, can't help it. But I get soooo frustrated seeing the yoyo effect - it does tend to make me loose focus. So I would advise not to, once a week should be the main aim! I will try and practice what I preach :)
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i do

but i think its a personal choice.

i also understand that the scale will change considerably from day to day - and that it shouldnt affect my mood.

i've also started measuring myself once a week.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    What is the reason or purpose of weighing yourself every day?
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the kind of person you are. I weigh myself nearly every morning (but I don't log it daily) because I know that if I don't, I am likely to slide on my eating (here and there). Maybe that will change when I lose more weight, but right now it helps me keep on track.
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I like two options listed :

1. Weigh yourself once a month

2. weigh yourself whenever you want but only log it if youve lost a significant amount

Good luck.
    Mark.

I think its more important to log your food and exercise anyways 4-5x a week of exercise for like 45-60min will change a lot
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    no , once a month would be optimal but once a week is reasonable
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    no , once a month would be optimal but once a week is reasonable

A common sense approach, quite rare on here!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly on a monday morning, but it's all personal preference
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not- it is too discouraging and not good I think for mental health and overall wellbeing. Once a week at the same time is enough and once a fortnight or once a month is probably better.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week, and always as soon as I've been to the toilet after getting up. I find if I do it through the week as well my weight fluctuates depending on what I've eaten the day before.
  • Louisedowner
    Louisedowner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i never weight myself. as far as i'm concerned it becomes an obsession and doesn't reflect anything like body fat/muscle gain etc. personally i only use a tape measure or go by my clothes. my PT says according to BMI and scales he is overweight and he has not a bit of fat on him!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    A year ago I would have said "No Way!" Seeing my weight go down a few pounds in a day would be great! But that bump up the following day or two would be devastating :( That would make me feel bad and when I feel bad I eat.

Yet recently I decided to change to weighing and logging everyday. At first it was disturbing, and then I became a bit addicted to it. Now I can roll with the daily ups and downs and it does seem to help keep me focused on eating and exercising well.

So I think this is a very personal choice. It really depends on how that number will effect you.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It depends on your own personality. I weigh every day and I log it once per month (maintenance); I just don't let the outcome consume me (so to speak). If I'm up, I know it's on me; I've either been making poor choices or gone over on my sodium. For me, it helps keep me in check.

To each their own; other people's choices make sense as well. Have a nice day everyone. :flowerforyou: