Tattoos + Tipping

Options
a_mandolin_
a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
I've been searching the internet (where everything is true) and it appears that tipping the tattoo artist is similar to eating out, so 15-20% for a job well done. I just wanted to double check with my peers who have experience in this area, that this is true.

I have one of several sessions tomorrow and I don't want to go stiffing anybody!

So, if the session is $350, the artist does an amazing job, which I am expecting, I should give $420 (plus tax). To those with lots of ink, or who do the inking, does this sound like a good plan?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yep. I usually give 20%.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this.. I didn't know. And I'll be going for my first one soon.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would tip if you ever expect to show your face at that tattoo parlor again. Tattoo shops aren't like restaurants, they'll straight up tell you to gtfo if they remember you didn't tip them.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I would tip 18 to 20% , especially if you have future sessions with the same artist
  • dorkyhippy
    Options
    Appreciate this. I always tipped but never knew the recommended %.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    haah i tip my peircing guy, but not my tattoo artist, cause hes my cousin in law! lol.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yes....yes...yes. If you have a larger piece and you'll be going in for different sessions, I would tip 25% for first session. They'll be happy to see you come back and give you an extra bit of attention next time around.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I would tip if you ever expect to show your face at that tattoo parlor again. Tattoo shops aren't like restaurants, they'll straight up tell you to gtfo if they remember you didn't tip them.

Not really. The place I go, I get inked by the owner. So, I feel stupid tipping the prick because he's the freaking owner, he makes profit off the entire operation. You don't tip owners. It's stupid, but, nevertheless, I have an internal quandary as he is the artist, so I should respect his work and say thank you, financially, I guess. But it still pisses me off. So, I don't tip him every time, just like every third time. Lol.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I've been searching the internet (where everything is true) and it appears that tipping the tattoo artist is similar to eating out, so 15-20% for a job well done. I just wanted to double check with my peers who have experience in this area, that this is true.

I have one of several sessions tomorrow and I don't want to go stiffing anybody!

So, if the session is $350, the artist does an amazing job, which I am expecting, I should give $420 (plus tax). To those with lots of ink, or who do the inking, does this sound like a good plan?

i personally prob wouldnt tip more than $40 for any peice tho. thats gonna get reeeeaaaally expensive, depending on the size of the peice.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have always over-tipped....generally around 25%. But, I go to the same person, and he is amazing. I have asked him before and he always says "whatever percentage you would tip at a salon"....but I never know what to tip them, either!! So...I just tip a lot :smile:
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I tip 20% too
  • neverstray
    Options

i personally prob wouldnt tip more than $40 for any peice tho. thats gonna get reeeeaaaally expensive, depending on the size of the peice.

The more ink, the more time invested, the more the tip. That's how it works if you want nice work.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    haah i tip my peircing guy, but not my tattoo artist, cause hes my cousin in law! lol.

You're supposed to tip piercers? I've had 6 or 7 and never have!
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'll tip 20% or so if it is just a single session. If it is multiple sessions i might tip a little less on each visit, but then give a bigger tip on the final session.
    No real reason why I do this.. just do I guess.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    wow i have 5 tattoos and never realized you are suppose to tip lol good thing they were all done by differnet people lol
  • neverstray
    Options

You're supposed to tip piercers? I've had 6 or 7 and never have!

Lol. Anyone that provides a personal service, you are supposed to tip. Lol.
  • neverstray
    Options
    wow i have 5 tattoos and never realized you are suppose to tip lol good thing they were all done by differnet people lol

Lol. It's not a rule, more of a social thing. Only in America. Lol
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ohh.. good thread.
    I am going on Valentines day, back to the guy who's done all my work. This time though, he has his own shop.
    It's going to a pricey peice & he's the owner... Now I am confused lol
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I always tip! Plus I've always had artists give me very great prices so I've overdone it with the tip. :bigsmile:
  • neverstray
    Options
    ohh.. good thread.
    I am going on Valentines day, back to the guy who's done all my work. This time though, he has his own shop.
    It's going to a pricey peice & he's the owner... Now I am confused lol

I don't like tipping owners. It's double dipping on their part. They profit from the operation and tips shouldn't be part of their deal. As an example, I used to own a service business. I also hired people to work. When my employees would get tips, that was cool. When I got tips, I felt weird because I made all the profit on the deal. Sometimes, a lot. But, I also provided the service. Often, I'd just give my tips to my employees.