Nutrition Advice from a Semi Pro

Options
I recently asked an old college friend of mine for some advice on the foods I should be eating, setting up my macros, and a few other general nutrition questions. I thought I would share her response with everyone on the forum. This is what she had to say.

xtineannes says:

So I pulled together some helpful nutrition guidelines for you below. Please let me know if you have questions. I chose to focus on nutrition only as this is a lot to take in. Your outcome is truly based on 75% nutrition and 25% exercise.

Nutritional guidelines for starters:

Fruit – Try to incorporate low sugar fruits such as berries and citrus - if higher in sugar like apples and bananas, choose small ones and you still can make them part of your meals/snacks. Fruit should be something you incorporate into your morning meals especially to get your glycogen levels up and fuel your day. Serving size examples would be 1/2 grapefruit, one small orange or one clementine, 8 medium strawberries, ½ cup blueberries, 12 blackberries, etc.

Veggies - these are your complex carbs. Try to have veggies with every meal - the greener, the better - steamed or hearty salad greens like spinach or red lettuce, even romaine or kale and broccoli (my personal fave). A cup of steamed veggies is one serving, and two cups salad greens is one serving. Ditch the store bought salad dressing and spritz extra virgin olive oil and/or use just plain balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar instead. Lemon wedges too for the juice!

Protein - egg whites and chicken, lean ground turkey or good white fish like halibut, orange roughy, salmon. A typical protein serving is 4 egg whites or 3-4 oz cooked meat. Powdered whey protein is also incredible mixed in with oats, or a drink for a snack. Level-1 Whey Protein (I use this and consider it best), Pure Choice or Solgar are all great!

Healthy fats - natural pb or almond butter (a serving is 1 tbsp - great snack with a small apple), pistachios (20 equals a serving), and almonds (these are a super food and 2 tbsp is a serving), for example. Avocado, olive oil and other nuts and nut butters are also great for you! I would also suggest a daily Omega supplement to get your omega 3-6-9’s in.

Healthy carbs (more complex carbs, but more traditional in the sense of what we think carbs are) - sweet potatoes, old fashioned/steel cut oatmeal (1/3 cup dry measure is serving - great with tbsp pb or berries or cinnamon or whey protein), quinoa (this little seed is amazing and packed with nutrients, its even a whole protein - 1/2 cup cooked is one serving). If you would like to incorporate grains like bread, use sparingly and try Ezekiel bread – it’s sprouted and multi-grain, which is the best form. Also consider open face sandwiches – one slice vs two. :)

Try to incorporate a protein, complex carb, and healthy fat in each meal – your macronutrients (carbs, proteins, healthy fats) – in the ratio of 40% carbs to 30% fats to 30% protein. Try also to eat 5, maybe 6 small meals each day. If you can't, no biggie; just a suggestion and this can work either way.
Also, for quick snacks when you can’t have a full meal, consider carrying almonds with you, or another nut, and even protein bars like Quest Bars or Cliff Builder Bars are two good choices that I've found I can use in a pinch or emergency. :) Key word emergency. I try to eat all natural, whole foods and meals as best I can.

As for nutrition, this is only a guide, and certainly not the only things you can consume - but, it will certainly speed up the process and get you well on your way to your goals. It truly is 75% nutrition, 25% exercise.

SUPER FOODS (not all inclusive, but a good list that I utilize a great deal):
Wild Salmon
Orange Roughy
Halibut
Tuna
Turkey - ground or nitrite free deli cuts
Chicken
Egg whites
Berries
Apples
Natural PB or dehydrated PB
Hummus
Almonds
Pistachios
Flaxseed - ground
Steel Cut Oats
Quinoa - white or dark
Green Tea
Sweet Potato
Balsamic Vinegar
Bell Peppers
Beets
Zucchini
Celery
Kale
Spinach
Broccoli
Asparagus
Avocado

Liquid Intake – no soda – none. Coffee is OK, but eliminate any creamer or artificial sweetener and try using almond milk if you must. Need a sweetener? Stevia. Green tea and water will do your body so well - aim for drinking at least 3 liters of water each day. Your body will be able to cleanse and detox daily, and the green tea is an added boost which will help your body adjust and dial in to these new habits.

I hope this helps. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have about nutrition.

Also, if you slip up, it’s never the end of the world. Record it, and forget it. It doesn’t mean you have to lose an entire day of health just because you had a cookie.

And, when you’re tempted by something you know you shouldn’t have, just take a step back and look at it and say to yourself, “is this helping me achieve my goals?”. If the answer is no, you know what to do, and you can live without it.

Much luv,
Xtine

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Decent conventional advice......although it appears she apparently believes that red meats, dairy and egg yolks are poor choices and turkey should be only ground or deli....kinda weird and of course there's a myriad of foods she left off completely....again very basic but sound advice and a good starting point to take.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Decent conventional advice......although it appears she apparently believes that red meats, dairy and egg yolks are poor choices and turkey should be only ground or deli....kinda weird and of course there's a myriad of foods she left off completely....again very basic but sound advice and a good starting point to take.

I agree.

I don't agree that deli meat is a good choice. Even the nitrate free stuff is loaded in sodium. Cooking chicken breast or turkey breast yourself is a much better option. I also think it is weird she is averse to egg yolks- that's where all of the nutrition is and it is old school thinking to say eggs = high cholesterol. Same for dairy- unless you have problems digesting it, things like plain yogurt are great for the gut (good bacteria) and high in protein. Additionally, Cliff Builder Bars are a terrible choice even in an emergency- it is all soy protein isolate and sugars. You'd be better of with Kind Bars or something of the sort.

All in all, very conventional advice and you certainly wouldn't be going wrong by following it, I just don't necessarily agree with all of it.
  • limericky19
    Options
    SAVE
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    General middle of the road solid advice. Pretty basic stuff. I could have told you that. Lol.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Great advice for people looking for it. Glad that I am already eating all the right things. :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Egg whites =/= whole foods. It's half the food.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I mostly agree...however.... this is not the *golden rule* or the nutritonal "commandments" (Not that anyone ha implied that they are..lol) For those of you that are new, just remember, we are all unique. Trial and error will be key for a while til you find what works for you :)
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    save for further review
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Egg whites = should I eat my exercise calories. Lol.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Mostly agree bar sweetener. Thats personal taste and view on them.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    04994640_.jpg
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    04994640_.jpg

*faints while drooling*
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That advice is pretty much the conventional advice. Overall it's good, especially because it focuses on getting the majority of your carbs from sources other than bread. And it's good that the advice notes that veggies are the real complex carbs (not bread, potatoes, etc). But you should be aware that not all of those recomendations are actually backed up with science.

For example, epidemiology demonstrates that all fruit consumption, including bananas and apples, is associated with decreased weight and longer life. There are certainly no prospective studies that indicated fruit is dangerous. So why the recommendation to minimize it for a normal healthy person?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find a complete paragraph that I agree with
  • oameyers
    oameyers Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump