Brides to Be?

Options
Hi all...

I am a low carber and try to be as paleo in my diet as I can be. I've used this method for over a year now and I lost the stubborn extra weight I was carrying around. I have been a little relaxed in my diet and in my exercise schedule due to a crazy work schedule, (I was working on a production wearing many many hats pulling 16 hour days).

Anyway.... I recently got engaged, (yay!), and yesterday went to try on some wedding dresses. I was pleased for the most part but also realize it's definitely time to kick it into gear again. Time to really pour it on and get serious!

Any other brides to be who want to join me? :)

Replies

• butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am a bride to be, my wedding is booked for 5th Oct 2013, so far I have lost 3 and half stone (not all through MFP) I have another 3 stone to go. Feel free to add me! I want to look amazing on my wedding day!!!
  • BowesBride
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a bride-to-be, getting married on 6th Sept next year. I am trying to adopt a cleaner eating regime where I remove a lot of processed foods and stick to eating as naturally as possible. I lost around 30lbs a few years back following Weight Watchers but kinda hit a plateau when I still had another 20lbs to lose - I have kept the weight off and felt reasonably good in myself - but since trying on wedding dresses a few weeks ago I now realise I would like to shift that 20lbs and perhaps a little more! I want to look great on my wedding day and on my honeymoon in a bikini! I am starting off with 2-3 gym classes per week (trying out spin, circuits and combat this week) and I am planning to ask for the Jillian Michaels DVD's for Christmas - hoping to do 3-4 mornings per week in the new year where I work out in the house before work. I have a very stressful job and active social life, both of which can be a real issue to work healthy eating & exercise around :) By working out in the morning I can ensure I get some exercise in I end up pulling a late night in the office - and by sticking to clean eating 'principles' vs a prescriptive diet it means I feel like there's always options for food when I am eating out.

I'll add you as a friend, hopefully we can reach target together x
  • Pancake86
    Options
    Hey,

Big congrats!!
    I to got engaged last week and now I am in panic mood!

I thought as soon as I got engaged id be so motivated but no nothing :(

I so need some help!!!!
    x
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm getting married in Sept of 2013 and definitely have some work to do! I've been engaged since February and the motivation hasn't been as strong as I thought it would be, haha. :-(
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm getting married May 3rd. I just had my first dress fitting! There is a picture in my profile. I'm happy with my weight, but I still see the spare tire around my hips and belly when I look in the mirror, even though according to everyone else, it isn't really there. So I am going to start "lifting heavy" as they call it, and work on some core exercises, and hopefully feel a bit more comfortable with my stomach.

I started April 24th, and as of today I have lost 46 pounds. If I could get those last 4 pounds to all come from my stomach, I'd be golden (yeah right! LOL!). In the end, Spanx might be my best friend for my dress.

Feel free to add me or message me with any questions/advice. I think I got the hang of this, and I'm happy to share anything I've learned. Congrats to all!
  • AlaskaTaylor
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Another bride to be! We decided on a fairly long engagement (16 months) which is perfect because I have a LOT of weight to lose (75-100 lbs). I have been quite overweight my entire life and have never taken a good approach to it ( . . . I remember going on my first crash diet when I was ~10, and I've tried everything known by man to lose the weight since).

2 main things that I struggle with - would love some input.

1. I can't eat a salad to save my life. It's not that I'm picky - I can't eat tomato or cucumber, both make me very ill. This usually defaults to me eating a "salad" that is more orange slices and pecans than anything else. And fruit and protein isn't my problem! I need to find creative ways to get vegetables in my diet early in the day (evening isn't really a problem as I can get home and steam stuff like broccoli, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, etc etc). Any tips?

2. I know we're all really busy. And it sounds pretty self-centered to say "I'm too busy to go to the gym every day". But I'll be honest, I really am. Groom-to-be and I are both finishing our last year of university and applying to masters programs; working extra hours to put away money; feel strong responsibilities to our families, so we're often travelling on weekends; etc etc. When is the easiest time of day to find an hour to work out? With 8am classes and a half hour commute to the campus, it's NOT in the morning. I've tried in the evening, but this leads to my not being able to sleep. Can anyone help?
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Another bride to be! We decided on a fairly long engagement (16 months) which is perfect because I have a LOT of weight to lose (75-100 lbs). I have been quite overweight my entire life and have never taken a good approach to it ( . . . I remember going on my first crash diet when I was ~10, and I've tried everything known by man to lose the weight since).

2 main things that I struggle with - would love some input.

1. I can't eat a salad to save my life. It's not that I'm picky - I can't eat tomato or cucumber, both make me very ill. This usually defaults to me eating a "salad" that is more orange slices and pecans than anything else. And fruit and protein isn't my problem! I need to find creative ways to get vegetables in my diet early in the day (evening isn't really a problem as I can get home and steam stuff like broccoli, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, etc etc). Any tips?

2. I know we're all really busy. And it sounds pretty self-centered to say "I'm too busy to go to the gym every day". But I'll be honest, I really am. Groom-to-be and I are both finishing our last year of university and applying to masters programs; working extra hours to put away money; feel strong responsibilities to our families, so we're often travelling on weekends; etc etc. When is the easiest time of day to find an hour to work out? With 8am classes and a half hour commute to the campus, it's NOT in the morning. I've tried in the evening, but this leads to my not being able to sleep. Can anyone help?

I feel you on the salad, haha! I hate things in my salad, so my salads are usually just spinach or romaine lettuce, shredded cabbage, and shredded carrots. I'm super busy as well, so I try to make big batches of soup or chili to switch up from all the salads!

Finding time AND energy to work out is the hardest part, it really is. :-( I'm out of the house at 6:30 am and don't get back home until 7 and I'm starving for dinner by then! When I can, I work out on my lunch hour, it's a pain in the butt.
  • oameyers
    oameyers Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Congrats to all! I got engaged earlier this year (May) and the wedding is set for April 2013.

I have 5 more pounds to lose and then when to focus on getting swimsuit ready (We'll probably Honeymoon on an island somewhere) :-)

I should be at my goal weight before Christmas but I'm really neverous about not being able to keep it off.

Your support is welcome, please add me :-)
  • sugarbuster140
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Wow I LOVE salad. I love all manner of veggies so salads are never hard for me. Also, because I am low carb, adding meats to my salad makes life a lot easier. Taco salads are a huge favourite of mine, (minus the bowl of course). I throw down romaine, avacado, spinach, red onion, cherry tomatoes and cucumber (minus these for you), broccoli, carrot, black olives, celery, red cabbage, taco seasoned ground beef, cheddar and some ranch dressing... Perfect meal for me!

Honestly, have you given the low carb - paleo route a try? It might be worth looking into for you.
  • shelleylink
    Options
    hi i'm a bride to be too! My wedding is 7/13/13..I just bought my dress on Ebay and it ALMOST fits, cant quite zip it up all the way on my back, so after playing with 5 lbs for 6 months on WW i decided to try MFP and see if i can trigger something else to start dropping some pounds.

=)
  • AlaskaTaylor
    Options

Wow I LOVE salad. I love all manner of veggies so salads are never hard for me. Also, because I am low carb, adding meats to my salad makes life a lot easier. Taco salads are a huge favourite of mine, (minus the bowl of course). I throw down romaine, avacado, spinach, red onion, cherry tomatoes and cucumber (minus these for you), broccoli, carrot, black olives, celery, red cabbage, taco seasoned ground beef, cheddar and some ranch dressing... Perfect meal for me!

Honestly, have you given the low carb - paleo route a try? It might be worth looking into for you.

Ok, maybe because it's 8am and I haven't had breakfast yet, but that salad sounds AMAZING!! I think I get thrown off by the prep-work, but if I made it in big batches on my days off?

Low carb might be worth a look in a few weeks. Currently working hard on cutting down/out refined white sugar, but 3am cram sessions are making that. . . . interesting. LOL
  • dcdemocrat34
    Options
    I'm also in the bride boat, ours is scheduled for September 2013 (Labor Day weekend)
    I have recently gotten back on the wago on My Fit Foods, and Snap (which are already prepared meals) for breakfast and lunch.
    The exercise part isn't my issue, although I need to seriously up my cardio, its the diet. My girlfriends and I go to happy hour, and I love going out to eat. I would really like to lose about 40 lbs, by the wedding, so time to get moving!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm a bride-to-be! I just got back on the MFP wagon after slacking and gaining back some weight. My wedding is October 13, 2013. Feel free to add me for more support! Lord knows we all need it. :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    June 5th, 2014. :-)

Got 84lb to lose. Feel free to add me.
  • shianneerin
    Options
    I am getting married on January 19th, 2013 and I am hoping I can be 200 or less at that point. I won't be at my goal of 160, but I will be more than happy to be 200. :)

Feel free to add me so we can motivate each other.
  • aemoomoo
    aemoomoo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Getting married on 3/9/13...I want to lose about 10 more lbs...first dress fitting in this saturday...scared to death! lol
  • amarx005
    Options
    Another bride to be here :) My wedding is set for June 12, 2013. I've got a ways to go about 45 lbs. I've gotten serious though enlisting a personal trainer to help me stay in focus. Congrats on all the engagements.

By the way my name is Amy :)
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    My wedding is 6/20/2014. Got engaged in May to my absolute soulmate. We just didn't know it yet when we were friends in high school. LOL. I hit my 1st goal but now I have 9-10lbs till my final goal. It's scary to be close and worry if it will stay off.
  • Samantha0517
    Options
    May 17, 2013 Bride :) Got engaged at the grand canyon while visiting my sister in phoenix 10-11-11. So excited to marry the best thing that's ever happened to me. Lost about 5lbs so far with 30 to go and only 5 1/2 months to do it! Add me!
  • ekta1985
    ekta1985 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's great to see so many brides on here with the same goal. :D My fiance proposed at the very end of August and our wedding is July 20, 2013. I have about 30 lbs to lose until then. I keep setting goals like dress appointments and engagement photos for a month or so in the future to help me get motivated to stay on track. It's easy to think, 'Oh I have 8 months until my wedding, I can eat this icecream!", but knowing that something is coming up soon helps.

I lost about 8 lbs eating clean, but I miss having yogurt, milk, and cheese. Now I am following MFP's calorie guidelines and hoping that I'll be able to lose weight by sticking to the 1200 calories a day and working out a lot. Is anyone else trying to lose weight by just watching calories? I'm a little nervous because I haven't counted calories before and I don't know how great this is going to work, but I'm hoping it will! :D