I might join a gym

Options
I hate to do it. However, I feel lonely. For the past two or so years, I've slowly been building a gym in my home. I workout hard and I love it. I love the convenience and I can workout with my kids at home and all that. It's great. And, I love thinking about buying new things to add to the gym. It's a fun project and very nice and convenient. But, there an aspect I didnt consider. I'm a little lonely sometimes. When I used to go to the gym, there were some people I'd chat with once in a while, and just being in a social setting was nice. I felt like I was getting out and all that. Now, it feels like too much time at home. Lol. I can't win, I guess.

Through my work, I can sign up for very cheap with no fee to start. It's just $10/mo. That's it. Full gym, I think it's 24 hr fitness or something like that. I'm going to look into it, I think. It would be nice to have the option, and Id love to have access to a squat rack and the heavy Olympic weights again. I miss that stuff.

Maybe I could use my home gym when I want, and then use the big gym when I feel like doing that. Hmmmm. Just thinking out loud.

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Could you invite other friends/colleagues over to your house to work out with you? Maybe that would help with the loneliness. Kudos on staying motivated to work out at home. I have found that my motivation goes through the floor if I try to work out at home compared to a gym. While I don't talk to anyone at the gym, I like having a place to go where that is my sole focus rather than thinking about what I could be doing around the house than working out if I were at home.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Could you invite other friends/colleagues over to your house to work out with you? Maybe that would help with the loneliness. Kudos on staying motivated to work out at home. I have found that my motivation goes through the floor if I try to work out at home compared to a gym. While I don't talk to anyone at the gym, I like having a place to go where that is my sole focus rather than thinking about what I could be doing around the house than working out if I were at home.

I'm very self-motivated. But, I miss the social aspect of a proper gym. And, like you said, it's a place where that's your only purpose being there.

I made my gym in my garage. It's very small. I don't think two people can fit. Lol. Plus, I don't have a single friend that exercises. They are all a bunch of slobs. And, that is a whole different story, and part of the social issue I'm having. It might be an opportunity to make some new friends. Ya know? Gyms have get-togethers and events and sponsor different things and you can meet people at those things...at least my last gym had all that. I don't know about 24 hour Fitness.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Dude, for $10, sign up. You still have your home gym but now you'll have the option. I like the idea of working out at home but I'd miss the gym too much. For all the people hating rants that pop up on this site I love the gym. I like getting ready. I like getting pumped up to music as I drive to it. The clinking, clanging, and grunting noises put me in a better mood right away.

Come to think of it, if I did have a home gym, I'd probably create an audio loop of gym sounds that I'd play on some loudspeakers.

edited for speling
  • neverstray
    Options
    Dude, for $10, sign up. You still have your home gym but now you'll have the option. I like the idea of working out at home but I'd miss the gym to much. For all the people hating rants that pop up on this site I love the gym. I like getting ready. I like getting pumped up to music as I drive to it. The clinking, clanging, and grunting noises put me in a better mood right away.

Come to think of it, if I did have a home gym, I'd probably create an audio loop of gym sounds that I'd play on some loudspeakers.

Lol. I like how you think. I'll go do some samples. Come to think of it, I'm sure it already exists. My neighbors will thinking I have a full business going on here.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Dude, for $10, sign up. You still have your home gym but now you'll have the option. I like the idea of working out at home but I'd miss the gym to much. For all the people hating rants that pop up on this site I love the gym. I like getting ready. I like getting pumped up to music as I drive to it. The clinking, clanging, and grunting noises put me in a better mood right away.

what he said. Though I'm no lunk/meathead, I wish most gyms were more lax about grunting and the like. It takes an already messed up individual to push themselves to the edge, so why not go full out?
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    You can workout naked!! I see no need in joining a gym.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have some Bowflex equipment at home and I love it. And one benefit of working out at home is that my son sees me working out and wants to exercise too. That all being said, I do love the atmosphere that the gym provides as well as the variety of equipment and classes. Plus, it is my getaway. It's only 5 minutes from home, so I can go for an hour and get some me time. Being around other people that are working out motivates me to push harder. At home, it's just me and the TV. I would be hard pressed to give up my membership.

I say go for it!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    $10.00???? I pay 30.00 twice a month... I want the 10.00 plan.. do it for sure!!!!
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do home DVDs and have a gym membership for $10 a month, full gym. The variety is nice, I enjoy it.
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    Oh join! We have practically a gym in our home - big lovely treadmill, weights, stability ball, tons of fitness videos - but I never got the kind of workout at home that I do in the gym. There was always something here that was a bit distracting. And although I'm not particularly social, I love being around people who are there to exercise rather than just being here attempting to work out around my wonderful (lazy) boyfriend's schedule. LOL

And $10 a month? It's a steal!! Go for it! :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    man, if i had a home gym, i'd cancel my gym membership in a heartbeat. however for $10 a month, you can have your cake and eat it too.

mmmmm, cake.

ok, back on track. use your home gym for what it has, and see what things your other gym has that your home gym doesn't, and use that equipment. enjoy!!
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even think twice for $10/mo. I've been paying $45/mo for 24hr fitness, and their rates have increased since I signed up, it's $55/mo now!!! (It's also the delux gym or whatever). I'm switching to a lower priced gym, but I also have a home gym I use when I feel like it, but sometimes I need to get out of the house too.
  • SimpleThingsInLife
    Options
    I had never been a member of a gym, and believed that working out at home could get me where I wanted. This past October, we decided to join the gym, because of the weights, and have not regretted the decision. I also am somewhat a home body, and now I get to chat with the same people day in, day out, and that makes me happy to socialize. Maybe that is sad to some, but it is what it is. :happy:

Do it! I think you will enjoy it.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym for $10/mo and go there once or twice a week for some motivation and cardio, but have been
    building up a gym at home as well. No excuses any day of the week :wink: I like having the option to work
    out alone or if I'm dragging, I get motivated by working out around others who are working out.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Do it! I love going to the gym...I've made some friends there and look forward to working out with them. It'll definitely help you to feel less lonely - at least it does for me!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Get an iPod and do it. Don't rely on other people to get you there....

One benefit to going to a gym with strangers is that you will work out harder, (whether or not they're actually watching you...the ida of strangers being around makes you put more effort into it...).
  • neverstray
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll check it out today at work. I have a free gym at work, but I can't use it becuse I have a lot of tattoos and that gets kind of political in my position. No one really knows because I don't socialize with work people. Lol. So, I have to pay the price to be me, story of my life.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    for that little bit of money a month, i suggest u have a membership! :) does the gym have childcare? i usually go to the Y on my lunch break, and go twice a week in the evenings (dont want my kids to get sick of the y). I really love going there. You meet alot of people, classes are great! i find that there are days when im really dragging and i wont push myself on the machines but if i take a class, you kind of have to. ur gym at home is great. you can use it for when its bad weather, or u just wanna stay home with the kids. for me, working out at home has just never worked. i cant stay motivated. :(
  • rshields9093
    rshields9093 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At $10/month what is there to think about? There are clearly advantages to real gyms and to home gyms. But for only $10/month extra you can have it all.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    man, if i had a home gym, i'd cancel my gym membership in a heartbeat. however for $10 a month, you can have your cake and eat it too.

mmmmm, cake.

ok, back on track. use your home gym for what it has, and see what things your other gym has that your home gym doesn't, and use that equipment. enjoy!!

I heard cake.

join the gym.