BMI

Options
I have a question.

General BMI Calculators have me at an obese 36 BMI.

However, I did the Hip to Waist Ratio and the wrist to forearm calculations, and it said 27.

I have an hourglass build and my waist is 29". I am so confused as to where my realistic goal should be.
I currently wear a size XL.

Input?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    BMI is not really a good indicator. It was developed as a way to compare differences in populations, not individuals. It is probably one of the most mis-used metrics in weight management. For example, NYC rats are huge, hence weigh more than, say, a rat in rural kansas, so you can't say that NYC rats have more body fat just because they weigh more, because they are physically larger. So, you index the rat populations in both places and categorize them, separately into underweight, average, overweight and obese. Then you might see that the obesity rate is high in the kansas rat, even though it weighs less. The only way BMI is SOMEWHAT useful to an individual is if you fit into the population that the index was created on - even then, it is suspect due to variation. BTW, all that stuff about the rats was made up - I have no idea about which rat is fatter!

So, off my soapbox, deciding your goal weight is a very personal thing. You can use insight about how much you used to weigh and if you were happy at that weight.

If you know your body fat percentage, you can set body fat goal and back calculate your goal weight from that:
    "lean body mass" = (1-"Current %body fat") * "Current weight"
    "Goal weight" = "lean body mass" / (1-"goal % body fat")
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about BMI, it makes no adjustments for body composition, only height and weight.

For example, my fiance is 5'8" and 165 lbs, so his BMI is 25.1 which puts him in the 'overweight' category. But he has a body fat % under 10%, which is why his weight is relatively high for his height.

Same thing with athletes... like LeBron James at 6'8" and 260lbs. He's at the higher end of the 'overweight' scale according to BMI.

So I think it's safe to say that BMI is flawed. You're better off having your body fat % measured at your doctor's office or gym and set your goals based on that.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    BMI assumes an average body shape, which those of us with real hourglass figures don't have. That's also why it doesn't work for athletes.

On the other hand, if your BMI is THAT high, you probably need to lose weight and being in a healthy range (unless you're really muscley) will be good for you.

Those fat indicators aren't accurate either and the hip/waist ratio REALLY doesn't work for hour glass folks.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I wasn't sure how to process the information. What I have read says that I should weigh around 135. My doctor has said that I should try to go below 165 due to my muscle mass.

However, at 165 I am still fat per all the charts.

No wonder I have an eating disorder.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I am obese in my profile picture according to BMI.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    Your goal should be what you feel good at. Change it frequently. My first goal was 160 lbs. When I got closer I realized I would be better off lower, so I changed it to 150. Now my goal is 135 and I have another goal to be between 18%-20% body fat. Now I'm doubtful that I'll go lower at this point in time (partly because that number still just baffles me), I may determine I have more to lose while still maintaining a healthy weight. My mom got to 135 and she's two inches taller than me, which makes me think I may be able to go lower, but I have a lot more muscle mass than her. Who knows.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a question.

General BMI Calculators have me at an obese 36 BMI.

However, I did the Hip to Waist Ratio and the wrist to forearm calculations, and it said 27.

I have an hourglass build and my waist is 29". I am so confused as to where my realistic goal should be.
    I currently wear a size XL.

Input?

BMI is a population based tool. For personal goals it's best to use BMI coupled with either waist to height or waist to hip ratio. Your waist measurement is under the population based goal for women so that's good. Webmd has a nice tool.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus#moreWTH
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm borderline obese according to BMI. But I'm a cardiologist's dream according to every other stat you can think of... waist to hip, waist to height, etc. I'm very muscular. It's not like I don't think I need to slim down a bit, but calling me obese is kinda stupid.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    BMI is about averages. Average healthy individuals fall into the recommended BMI range of 19-25. Do you have reason to believe you are not average? Are you a superior athlete? To you have a medical condition that changes your fat to body weight ratio? If the answer is no to such questions, than you there is no reason to not aim for a healthy BMI. You may be fine at a higher BMI, but studies have shown that the average person is at less risk for many diseases when they are at a healthy BMI.

I have what is considered to be an extreme hourglass figure, and consider myself to be above average in muscle content due to an athletic youth and 6 months of recent weight training, and I fall smack dab in the middle of the BMI range just fine. BMI is not as flawed as many people like to believe.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BMI is not really a good indicator. It was developed as a way to compare differences in populations, not individuals. It is probably one of the most mis-used metrics in weight management. For example, NYC rats are huge, hence weigh more than, say, a rat in rural kansas, so you can't say that NYC rats have more body fat just because they weigh more, because they are physically larger. So, you index the rat populations in both places and categorize them, separately into underweight, average, overweight and obese. Then you might see that the obesity rate is high in the kansas rat, even though it weighs less. The only way BMI is SOMEWHAT useful to an individual is if you fit into the population that the index was created on - even then, it is suspect due to variation. BTW, all that stuff about the rats was made up - I have no idea about which rat is fatter!

So, off my soapbox, deciding your goal weight is a very personal thing. You can use insight about how much you used to weigh and if you were happy at that weight.

If you know your body fat percentage, you can set body fat goal and back calculate your goal weight from that:
    "lean body mass" = (1-"Current %body fat") * "Current weight"
    "Goal weight" = "lean body mass" / (1-"goal % body fat")

THIS!!!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    BMI is not as flawed as many people like to believe.

My beef is that I guess technically I fall into the "superior athlete" category of exceptions, but insurance companies see 5'10" 215 and see "fat *kitten*" and charge me accordingly or require a lot of extra tests.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    As others have said, BMI is not designed for measuring individuals, though it is often (mis)applied in this way. I'm just under 5'8 with a very large frame and a propensity to muscle. My doctor would be very happy for me to sit in the middle of the 'overweight' section of BMI, at a healthy (on my frame) 170-180lbs. Much less than that, while it might make my BMI look good, would not be healthy for me, the individual. Your doctor knows you better than any chart ever will - take her/his advice, and then judge by how you look, rather than what you weigh - far better to be 165lb of toned mass than 135lbs of loose flesh and no strength.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

My beef is that I guess technically I fall into the "superior athlete" category of exceptions, but insurance companies see 5'10" 215 and see "fat *kitten*" and charge me accordingly or require a lot of extra tests.

Yes, but you are the exception, not the rule.
  • castadiva
    Options

Actually, the current BMI charts have been revised downwards several times as the WHO has expanded its' reach to non-Caucasian, often typically-smaller-framed, populations. This means that for those at the upper end of physical build among the population, the current charts are not particularly apt, even if they were meant to be applied to individuals, which they're not. Essentially, this means that if you are a Caucasian with Northern European ancestry (typically larger-framed and more muscular than those whose ancestry is from more Southern climes) chances are your 'healthy weight', as an individual, will be at the upper end of 'normal' at the very least, or well into 'overweight', and in some cases even 'obese', by BMI terms. You can't compare oranges to bananas, and expect both to have the same, or even similar, average vital statistics!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Actually, the current BMI charts have been revised downwards several times as the WHO has expanded its' reach to non-Caucasian, often typically-smaller-framed, populations. This means that for those at the upper end of physical build among the population, the current charts are not particularly apt, even if they were meant to be applied to individuals, which they're not. Essentially, this means that if you are a Caucasian with Northern European ancestry (typically larger-framed and more muscular than those whose ancestry is from more Southern climes) chances are your 'healthy weight', as an individual, will be at the upper end of 'normal' at the very least, or well into 'overweight', and in some cases even 'obese', by BMI terms. You can't compare oranges to bananas, and expect both to have the same, or even similar, average vital statistics!

You are totally right. There is ton of data out there that says that Asians are at greater risk at 23-25 BMI than Caucasians. I can't find any information saying that Caucasians are fine at 36 though.
  • castadiva
    Options
    I can't find any information saying that Caucasians are fine at 36 though.

Fair point :flowerforyou: Though she might be ok, health-wise, at 27, or even 30 or 32 - we don't know enough about her to say, and her doctor will be the best judge, I'm guessing.

Just a question to the OP - are you sure you've input the right measurements? That photo, if it's current, doesn't look like what I'd imagine a BMI of 36 to be - healthy or otherwise!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

This is exactly right.
  • I'm the other end of the scale with a similar dilemma. BMI of 22 with a 29" waist. Makes it tricky to know quite which direction to go.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That photo is a week old.

i asked my doctor why the scale is so high and I don't feel like I weigh that much.

He says that I have an extraordinary amount of sheer muscle mass (heavy weight lifter since I was 13), I am 46 now.

I just feel enormous when I see the scale. I have never been light. My least amount of weight was 160 and I wore a size 8. I was 25 at the time.

I could just pull my hair out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm borderline obese according to BMI. But I'm a cardiologist's dream according to every other stat you can think of... waist to hip, waist to height, etc. I'm very muscular. It's not like I don't think I need to slim down a bit, but calling me obese is kinda stupid.

Wouldn't a cardiologist's dream be someone with heart disease? No money to be made on a person with a healthy heart.

But seriously, BMI is just a one tool. Try not to take it so personally. If you are healthy just be happy and continue doing what you are doing.