Running: my arch nemisis

Options
Hi - I know someone has recently put something similar on here, but here goes: I cannot improve my running. I've been going to the gym 3 times a week for about six weeks and the only thing that hasn't improved is my running.

I'm following a programme with the aim of getting up to 10k by the end of February. Unfortunately it's too dark, wet and generally unpleasant to run outside at the moment, so I thought I'd build up my distance on a treadmill before I take it outdoors when the weather improves. My friend who is a cyclist and triathlete told me to set the treadmill on a 1/1.5% gradient to compensate for it being easier indoors, so I've been doing that.

I started off with intervals between jogging and walking (it's not fast enough to be called a run really); I then built that up to 10 or 15 minutes of running, sometimes alternating between slower and faster speeds. My base speed has improved (from 7km/h to 8-8.5km/h) but I can't push past that 15-minute barrier. When I come off the treadmill I still have energy to do another 45 mins of cardio and weights, so it's not that I'm exhausted.

The main problem I have is that my chest gets uncomfortable - not pain or wheezing, but sore, sort of a burning in my windpipe. I'm asthmatic and have had a lingering cold for the last few weeks, but what I don't understand is why it doesn't happen when I'm using other equipment (cross trainer, bike etc). It's just when I'm running.

I really want to complete a half marathon next September, but I'm starting to think I'll never get any further. Can anyone out there give me some good advice to take it forward? Thanks!

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Can you run in the morning at all when it is light out? I'd rather run in the wet and unpleasantness outside than on a treadmill any day, and find I get winded much faster on there than I do outside because it's easier to regulate your speed when you're not trying to keep up with the belt.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Can you just increase the time by 30 seconds or 1 minute each time? Each time you get to your longest previous time, hang on for one more minute! Do this once a week, or maybe every other run.

I also agree with running outside whenever possible. I feel like I am going to die after 2 minutes on the treadmill and I have run 2 half marathons. I would rather run 13.1 outdoors than 5 on a treadmill!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How long have you actually been running? You've done a pretty good job of increasing your speed so far. I'm wondering if it isn't just your breathing issues here. Have you tried using a heart rate monitor to see where your heart rate is when you're having trouble? Then comparing that to where it is when you're biking, etc? I'm betting running gets your HR up a lot higher than other cardio. I know it does for me.

Have you considered just doing running and walking in intervals? Intervals are actually a very good way to help increase your endurance. I have completed 3 half marathons running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute for almost the entire race. I've finished all of them in around 2:45:00 which is about your 8 km/hr running speed (I'm hoping the one this Sunday goes a little faster, but we'll see!)
  • ilyenacerise
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I've been trying to improve my running on and off for about 10 months now but got injured twice - now I'm recovered, last six weeks I've really been focussing on it. Unfortunately running in the morning isn't really an option as it's not getting light until about 7.30am and with my commute to work it would be too late to head out. I should make more effort to get outdoors at the weekend though, that can be my next target.

I did consider a heart rate monitor but didn't know whether this would be overkill as early on?

I think I maybe need to forget about my speed for a little bit and start working on building up time/distance. I'm terrible for comparing myself to other people and got it into my head I wasn't really running unless I could push up to 9km/h at least. But I'm short with short legs so my stride isn't great, for my friends 9km/h might be a light jog but I'm definitely up against it.

So yeah, I'll try to get outside more and just build up at that 30sec/1 minute rate for the next month and see how I get on. Thanks for the advice!
  • sea_tern
    sea_tern Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think the heart rate monitor is a great idea for you. Your max heart rate is 220 minus your age (i.e. if you're 20 years old your max heart rate is 200). Typically 80% of your max heart rate is good for a cardio challenge (i.e. it would be 160 in my example) and 60% is good for more long term fat burning (i.e. 120 in the example).

If you find that you're getting exhausted when your heart rate is less than the 60% range then I would definitely look at your breathing issues. You should go to your doctor and see if you need to start or increase your inhaled corticosteroid if this is a chronic thing, or if it's just associated with exercise then you may need to take a puff or two of ventolin prior to exercise. Just a thought!
  • knowmycalories
    Options
    I had the same problem and know exactly how you feel. I have a smart phone and a friend recommended an app called Learn to Run. I followed the program and it helped. I do a 10k twice and week now and I really enjoy it!
    I used a pulse watch to monitor my heart rate and I still find it very useful (also because than I know how many calories I've burned).
    You mentioned that you have asthma, so you might want to check with your doctor if it’s ok for you to follow the program.
    Good luck!
  • FloyMcCaudie
    Options
    Very short and simple tip, I used to have problems with running too. As my coach say

No need to wake up early or anything, Go out in park, Choose a distance like 25Ms(no need for for big numbers) and run and when u cross 25,Sprint on the spot,Breathe and runn and keep doing same for 5 mins then rest then repeat again. Do it for like 20 mins and 5times a week,it really helps
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am quite an experienced runner - both indoors and outdoors. I have done 3 marathons and countless halves etc. If I were you I would lose the incline for now and concentrate on just getting my run right. Once you feel comfortable with running further, then add incline slowly.

Right now I would not concentrate so much on your speed. I would get a heart rate monitor and keep it under 150. As you get better, you will need to go faster to get it to 150. Intervals are a good idea, but I think you will find losing the incline will help a lot.

Donna
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I second the advice about not worrying about speed. Just focus on running at a comfortable pace and increasing the distance you can run. As you gain endurance, your speed will naturally improve.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I second the advice about not worrying about speed. Just focus on running at a comfortable pace and increasing the distance you can run. As you gain endurance, your speed will naturally improve.

I third it.

When starting out as a runner your sole purpose is to build endurance (unless you plan o being a sprinter), long & slow is the way to go. As your aerobic capacity improves speed will. to a certain extent, improve by itself. Do most of your running at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation, even if it seems abysmally slow.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    this may sound counterintuitive, but maybe only run 2x a week for a few weeks. sometimes running too much can actually make your speed worsen. i notice when i rest a little for a few weeks my running gets better. weird, but true.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Can't believe no one has mentioned couch to 5k.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This is a very successful program which helped take me from supposedly asthmatic to running five kilometers in nine weeks. Please look into this as a good way to improve your distance.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Try deep breathing. PRANAYAM its yogic breathing. I spin and sprint and deep breathing is the only thing that keeps my throat and nostrils from burning.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Do 15 min. walk 3, do another 15. The walking break will shorten in time. You have a good pace don't go any faster than 8 kmh for now.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I've been trying to improve my running on and off for about 10 months now but got injured twice - now I'm recovered, last six weeks I've really been focussing on it. Unfortunately running in the morning isn't really an option as it's not getting light until about 7.30am and with my commute to work it would be too late to head out. I should make more effort to get outdoors at the weekend though, that can be my next target.

I did consider a heart rate monitor but didn't know whether this would be overkill as early on?

I think I maybe need to forget about my speed for a little bit and start working on building up time/distance. I'm terrible for comparing myself to other people and got it into my head I wasn't really running unless I could push up to 9km/h at least. But I'm short with short legs so my stride isn't great, for my friends 9km/h might be a light jog but I'm definitely up against it.

So yeah, I'll try to get outside more and just build up at that 30sec/1 minute rate for the next month and see how I get on. Thanks for the advice!

Try running without the incline and see how you feel. Also, when I first started running I could NOT break 1 mile no matter what I tried. It was terrible. I would get pain in my side, out of breath, pounding heart, legs/feet/knees/everything hurt. Right around a year into this I finally broke past that mile and haven't looked back. I didn't change anything except some incline running around 9 months but it was outside so I had equal declines to my inclines. I've since moved so no inclines around here and the flatness of the treadmill or sidewalks is just so much easier. I noticed my breathing and heart-rate have regulated and I no longer need to a conscious effort into my breathing like I did before. If I were you, I would incline train once a week but for now just run without the incline at a slower speed while you build endurance. After you are comfortable with the time/distance you are running then add in speed and more incline.

I think the biggest trick to it is just sticking with it. Good luck :)
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree - lose the incline. If you are not able to run for more than 15 minutes then you are not advanced enough for an incline.

Also - you sound a lot like me - I too have asthma and struggled massively to run but can now complete 10K. My advice may be cliched but it is true: the first 15-20 minutes are the hardest. After that it gets easier. Your breathing will settle down. It's finding the determination to push through that is your biggest challenge but I urge you to keep trying. You will be amazed at how quickly you will progress once you pass that 15 minute barrier. Good luck!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree - lose the incline. If you are not able to run for more than 15 minutes then you are not advanced enough for an incline.

Also - you sound a lot like me - I too have asthma and struggled massively to run but can now complete 10K. My advice may be cliched but it is true: the first 15-20 minutes are the hardest. After that it gets easier. Your breathing will settle down. It's finding the determination to push through that is your biggest challenge but I urge you to keep trying. You will be amazed at how quickly you will progress once you pass that 15 minute barrier. Good luck!

Well said. I also agree that the first mile/15 minutes or so is the hardest. Past that everything calms down. Work your way up and don't expect perfection overnight.

Oh and don't push so hard that you HATE running. I think the most important part is to keep it at a level where you ENJOY it. When it's not fun anymore then you're pushing too hard. I ONLY run for enjoyment. Never exercise. I do other things for exercise so I can keep my run as a hobby.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Lose the incline.
    Focus on building distance/time.
    Run at a pace that is moderately comfortable yet a slight challenge.
    Once you cover the distance you are aiming for, then worry about getting faster.

Folks have used C25K with success. I haven't, but it is worth investigating. Several aps that you can download to your phone.

Set a reasonable goal for your first endeavor. Pick a 5k. Complete and then focus on a 10k, etc. You may find that 5Ks are your thing and stick with those.

As I love running, I sure hope you work past this hurdle and find enjoyment from running!!
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi - I know someone has recently put something similar on here, but here goes: I cannot improve my running. I've been going to the gym 3 times a week for about six weeks and the only thing that hasn't improved is my running.

I'm following a programme with the aim of getting up to 10k by the end of February. Unfortunately it's too dark, wet and generally unpleasant to run outside at the moment, so I thought I'd build up my distance on a treadmill before I take it outdoors when the weather improves. My friend who is a cyclist and triathlete told me to set the treadmill on a 1/1.5% gradient to compensate for it being easier indoors, so I've been doing that.

I started off with intervals between jogging and walking (it's not fast enough to be called a run really); I then built that up to 10 or 15 minutes of running, sometimes alternating between slower and faster speeds. My base speed has improved (from 7km/h to 8-8.5km/h) but I can't push past that 15-minute barrier. When I come off the treadmill I still have energy to do another 45 mins of cardio and weights, so it's not that I'm exhausted.

The main problem I have is that my chest gets uncomfortable - not pain or wheezing, but sore, sort of a burning in my windpipe. I'm asthmatic and have had a lingering cold for the last few weeks, but what I don't understand is why it doesn't happen when I'm using other equipment (cross trainer, bike etc). It's just when I'm running.

I really want to complete a half marathon next September, but I'm starting to think I'll never get any further. Can anyone out there give me some good advice to take it forward? Thanks!

keep a candy in your mouth and breath in threw your nose out threw your mouth
    the asthma medication tends to make your throat supsetable to dryness
    and drink water just little bits at a time to keep mouth moist
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The incline is fine.

Start with the couch to 5k program. It is a run / walk program that will get you running up to 30 minutes at a time.

You can't work on both speed and endurance at the same time (well you can, it's just harder)

If you can run at 7.5 km/hr for 15 minutes than at the end go for either an extra 30 seconds or 1 minute. Add another 30 seconds or minute every couple of runs. Don't wait a month, you won't see any progress that way.

If you can't run at 7.5 kph for 15 minutes then decrease your speed until you can run the entire 15 minutes. When you've found the speed. Start there. And work your way up by 30 - 60 seconds.

Once you can run for an entire 5k, then start your half marathon training. There are various plans to accomplish this. You can check out Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon. There are also plans on the Runnersworld website. You'll need 12-16 weeks to train for a half from a 5k position.

Your plan is absolutely doable. You just need a plan.