Binge

Options
Does anyone else binge eat on their favorite foods? I am trying to stop binge eating and my motivation for weight loss keeps getting overthrown by those delicious sweets. What do you do to keep from grabbing easy to reach goodies?

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I try not to have them around.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Only trick I've found is to not be around them as much as I can. If I keep them from entering the house, resisting the temptation is much easier when I'm out and about. This depends on 1) your foods not being home staples and 2) the people in your home aquiesing to your wish to not have those foods in the home.
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    Yes I binged for a long time that's what got me in to this mess. I think putting it of and really thinking about it helps. I wouldn't even think before just shove sht in my mouth. Now I think about how much damage binging does and how it sets me further from my goals. I also think about how much I regret it and how sick it makes me feel. You can overcome it just make ylsure you think it through before you start shoving food in your mouth
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did last Tuesday was having a super sweet tooth and ate a pack of oreos cookies and milk
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    The best strategy for this is to allow yourself to occasionally have the things you like. If you continually deprive yourself, you are more likely to binge. Have an occasional treat, just weigh and measure and make sure it fits into your calorie goal for the day.

If you actually have a legitimate problem with Binge eating Disorder, here is a very helpful resource. It has changed many lives and helped so many recover from the disorder.

I recommend reading the blog, then her book, http://www.brainoverbinge.blogspot.com/2012/06/tips-for-beginners.html
  • fusion777
    Options
    I absolutely have to keep any kind of junk food out of my house. If I have a bag of chips in the house, there is no such thing as having a handful (it's eating a whole bagful, ugh). Same with cookies, crackers & cheese, the makings for pizza, etc. I finally had to come to the realization that I can't be around tempting food. I also make a conscious effort not to order takeout foods anymore, go through drive-throughs, etc.

MFP has taught me so much about accounting for calories, getting my fitness in, and becoming an overall healthier person for me and my family.

Any time I am tempted, I look through the photos our fellow MFPers are kind enough to post before/after and that satisfies my urge to stuff my face. I am so thankful for them.

Good luck in your journey. This is the hardest thing I have ever done so I understand what you are going through.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I usually binge on fast food, so it doesn't really help to keep it out of the house. Sometimes if I don't have to get gas on the way to work, I try to leave all of my cash and credit cards at home so that I don't have the option to get fast food during my lunch. I usually need to get gas or run errands at lunch though so that doesn't work very well.
  • foxgl0ve
    foxgl0ve Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe try giving yourself "Small Fry Day", or whatever your favorite fast food is. Every Thursday is your fast food day. Pick your favorite item, and know that you will get to have it on Thursday. Then, tell yourself that whenever you get the craving. It's not 'I can't have that,' but instead 'Oooh! I'm so going to enjoy that on Thursday.'

It may help you plan, and keep you on track the rest of the week.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i have everything figured out except for binges. b/c when i binge i don't CARE about what it will do to my weight loss. i don't CARE AT ALL. i'm in a totally different pscho mindframe and no amount of talking to myself or journaling will help.

i'm trying something new right now where i'm keeping a dry erase board in the kitchen and i'm keeping track of how many days i've gone without a binge. i'm hoping that i'll see that number and, even if i'm in binge-mode, i'll think how sad it will be to have to start back at 0. we shall see...only on day 3. lol. i think that if i can get my number up really high it will be more effective. no way i want to start over from 25!!!
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    My tip might be peculiar to my particular thought process but I'll share it anyway:

So, when I mess up, part of me just think 'Oh, f*** it, may as well keep eating junk food now since I've slipped up anyway', and then I just binge on tasty treats. My method is, when I do have a naughty snack, to think 'Well, that was nice. I enjoyed that. Not the end of the world. One bar of chocolate is definitely better than three!'. By having something you like, you haven't ruined everything, but for me it's that 'Well now I may as well eat ALL THE FOOD' attitude that gives me problems!
  • lmerner
    lmerner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I went on a crazy binge this past weekend. It was an eating frenzy. It started with my frame of mind on Friday night, I wasn't in a good head space. There was no turning the Titanic around, I just had to ride it out. I was withing about a pound of reaching 25 lbs lost but it didn't matter, I was in destruction/sink mode.

That being said, I picked myself up Mondy morning, got up early to prep my food and started putting one foot in front oft the other. I made sure to stay on track despite the added hunger pains due to the weekend damage.

The result is that my weight if up slightly from where I was a week ago, but that could have been much, much worse. All that hard work and for what??? A few moments of "the old days" followed by feeling crappy because of the wronng greasy foods.

I say, follow the suggestions given by everyone above. Keep the wrong foods out of the house and limit exposure to the temptations where you can. But if you do fall off the boat, have a plan on how to address whereyou go from there. How are you going to get back on the boat and set course to the rest of your life?

Hope this is as helpful to others as it has been to me in just writing out my thoughts.

Focus on ourselves, we're all worth it!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Binge eating usually occurs when you deprive yourself of calories or foods that you enjoy. I know some say not to have them around but what happens if they are in front of you one day? You can definitely learn to eat them in moderation. An aspect people sometimes neglect is the psychological side. You need to believe in yourself that you can eat it without binging, that's the key. Do you binge out of boredom? Stress? Find out the cause and eliminate it by occupying yourself with other things such as going for a walk, etc. Or do you binge because you love it so much and you feel deprived of it due to your diet? Remember that this is a lifestyle change, keep a diet that is sustainable and you can still enjoy your foods while you are at it. Something that might help is that grab the amount of that certain food you need and then eat it. Instead of having the whole packet in front of you because that might cause aimless eating. Good luck!
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I try to eat every few hours on healthy whole foods. It was a little tough at first but honestly I truly don't miss sweets or junk food anymore. For years I thought I cannot eat 3 small meals and 3 snacks each day but it turns out to be the best thing for me. I rarely get super hungry and have not binged.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I cut them into peices before I start eating and put all but one piece in the freezer. That way, I can't say "just one more bite...just one more" and then start rationalizing eating the whole thing when I'm not even hungry, etc.

When I put my treats in the freezer, I don't think about them as often and I don't see them staring at me on my counter or every time I open the fridge for a glass of water or something :)
  • cathyenb
    Options
    Not having them around the house is the best thing but if you must it's alright to treat yourself once in awhile just get your treat and put the rest away. For me it's about controlling the quantity of what I eat as much as what I eat. If you track everything you eat you'll find it much harder to binge. Good luck it's a daily struggle but I believe it will be worth any sacrifice you make..
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Grab a rubber band.

Put it on around your wrist.

SNAP THAT SH_T every time you feel like binging.

End of problem.
  • katelion22
    katelion22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the foods I'm likely to binge on. I NEVER go to the grocery store hungry, because I'll always end up with some kind of trigger food in my cart. If I'm tempted to eat when I'm not really hungry, I'll brush my teeth, go for a walk, call up a friend - whatever it takes to get my mind off eating.
  • Avia16
    Avia16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you. These are all really great ideas. I will definitely be changing my routines and retreading your comments to write them down.
  • trinak1
    trinak1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to indulge once in awhile, the only problem is then I keep finding excuses to "treat" myself! I just wish I could find the way to not become a eating maniac the minute I get home!!
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I fall into binging when I haven't pre-planned my meal and have to make a snap decision, or when I'm really hungry and don't want to take the time to make (or buy) something healthy.

So I do best if I plan my meals ahead of time, and also plan healthy snacks so I don't get overly hungry.