Digestive problems, anyone?

Options
Odd, potentially embarassing and necessary post!

I've recently been suffering from different GI issues that my doctor thought might be celiac's. Thankfully, the blood test came back negative. However, I'm still following a (mostly) gluten-free diet which had seemed to help some.

Now I have a new problem: CONSTANT burping. Morning, noon and night. I'm constantly hungry and bloated at the same time. My doctor Rx'd me an antacid that doesn't seem to do too much, and acid isn't really the problem. My symptoms don't seem to concern him, but they concern me (never leave me alone with WebMD and a lunch hour!!!)

Has anyone else experienced such symptoms? Like I said, this is a new one only of the past few weeks and seemed to only occur when I cut gluten and alleviated some other issues. I feel like I traded one problem for another!!

Something that caught my eye was malabsorption syndrome and other intestinal diseases. Is anyone familiar with this? I have friend who are celiac's and have IBS, but haven't experienced the constant burping like I am.

Any ideas? Thank you!! :tongue:

Replies

• rageddemon
    Options
    Consult a better doctor :D
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Well, I'm going back to him Monday. This burping thing really picked up steam since last I went to him. But when I called him and said I couldn't take it anymore, what can you give me? He said "pick up some gas-ex". He was really thorough in my first visit, asked a ton of questions, ran me for a celiac's panel, but I think he thinks I'm a hypchondriac lol.
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had some issues too, not the same as yours, but also tested negative. What has worked for me is trying to eat good food, staying away from artificial stuff (aspartame, etc.) and I eat rice and potatoes mostly now for my carbs, oh and oatmeal in the morning. This has worked well for me so far.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Well, I'm going back to him Monday. This burping thing really picked up steam since last I went to him. But when I called him and said I couldn't take it anymore, what can you give me? He said "pick up some gas-ex". He was really thorough in my first visit, asked a ton of questions, ran me for a celiac's panel, but I think he thinks I'm a hypchondriac lol.

maybe hes right
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Aside from making sure it's not a serious issue, have you tried probiotics? I didn't have the same issues as you but I now take them and feel less bloated.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That seems odd to me that he prescribed an antacid for gas...that sounds to me more like some type of indigestion. I agree that if this next appointment is another fail on his part that you need to find a new doc to consult with.

Has anything else in your diet changed recently beside the gluten free thing? Maybe try some more natural remedies like papaya enzyme (GNC sells chewable tablets). Do you eat greek yogurt? If so, make sure it's a more natural brand with all the good active probiotics like Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidus, and Lactobacillus case (found in Chobani and some other brands - check labels). If you don't like yogurt, you could try taking probiotic supplements.
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options

maybe hes right

Haha...hey, I've got a lot of reason to want to know what's wrong with me. My boyfriend's mom was misdiagnosed initially for ovarian cancer and it made her recovery process that much harder. I don't think I have cancer, but I'd like to know if there's an actual issue sooner rather than later. Plus, I'm uncomfortable as all hell!!!

The one good thing is I've been losing weight like crazy without lifting a finger sooooo...I guess there's your silver lining!!!
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    Gluten free meals with a side of probiotics and a digestive enzyme...and pantoprazole and now gax-ex! I switched to almond milk a while ago, the only dairy I really have is a few splashed of 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee or a greek yogurt.

Akumu - I heard you have to be careful with some oatmeal if you're staying away from gluten. Any suggestions?

Thanks, y'all!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    A guess about the problem... You used to consume very low amounts of fiber... high amounts of fat and carbs... Now you are eating very high amounts of fiber and low amount of fat and high protein... This will produce gas as the body is attempting to process it. Increase the effectiveness of your intestines by eating yogurt, healthy bacteria to aid digestion, cut back a bit on the fiber and then slowly increase it to 30+ grams per day. Use yogurt in place of sour cream in recipes... Many middle eastern foods that are high in fiber are accompanied with Greek style yogurt to aid digestion and give additional protein. Make sure to get some good fats everyday... Avocado, olive oil, nuts, salmon and other Omega 3 rich foods. Track your fat, fiber, and protein and be committed to keeping your macros balanced.
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    A guess about the problem... You used to consume very low amounts of fiber... high amounts of fat and carbs... Now you are eating very high amounts of fiber and low amount of fat and high protein... This will produce gas as the body is attempting to process it. Increase the effectiveness of your intestines by eating yogurt, healthy bacteria to aid digestion, cut back a bit on the fiber and then slowly increase it to 30+ grams per day. Use yogurt in place of sour cream in recipes... Many middle eastern foods that are high in fiber are accompanied with Greek style yogurt to aid digestion and give additional protein. Make sure to get some good fats everyday... Avocado, olive oil, nuts, salmon and other Omega 3 rich foods. Track your fat, fiber, and protein and be committed to keeping your macros balanced.

BOOM! Thanks, lew! Lots of good advice. I tend to be so fixated on my calorie intake, I don't consider the other factors. I need to start doing that. Congrats on your loss so far, that's amazing! :happy:
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    http://www.dadamo.com/

Has anyone ever tried the "eat for your blood type" regimen? Interesting, but it sounds like a horoscope in that it could apply to anyone, but still make you go, "OMG that's ME!!"

Thoughts?