how much time needed in the gym?

Options
if i workout for an 90 min and do whatever amount of sets is it any different if i get the same sets done in 60 minutes just by doing them with less rest between?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I remember reading a study about post-workout testosterone production and rest periods. But overall: Work is work. I doubt it matters much ify ou're doing the same work.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    There's been many studies done that show growth hormone & testosterone levels begin to drop around the 60 minute mark. That said, you're actually better off getting your workout done in 60 minutes as opposed to 90. I've personally found that setting a timer for rest periods between sets gets my workout done faster and actually keeps me more focused as well.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I find my work out routine(no more than 45 mins) is far more effective than it was when I spent 90 mins focusing on isolation exercises. I do the 5x5 stronglift program, take no more than 45min, when I need more rest between sets, usually more like 40 mins, add maybe 15 min of light jogging, and I've seen more results that way that my previous routine.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I spend 45-60 minutes in the gym 4-5 days a week.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Get it done with whatever rest it takes, no more, no less.

The fluxuations in hormone levels caused by training can pretty much be ignored. There are SO MANY factors that affect these hormone levels, focusing in on just one is pointless, and the benefits of more QUALITY working out beyond the 45 or 60 minute mark would very likely outweight any detriments caused by hormone levels.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I plan my workouts to be 30-45. No need for more unless you are some sort of pro IMO.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I find my work out routine(no more than 45 mins) is far more effective than it was when I spent 90 mins focusing on isolation exercises. I do the 5x5 stronglift program, take no more than 45min, when I need more rest between sets, usually more like 40 mins, add maybe 15 min of light jogging, and I've seen more results that way that my previous routine.

I dont even run, bleh.

I used to work 90-120 min in the gym doing split routines, do 5x5 man, its really amazing. If not that do power lifting routines. If you work out that long you need more calories - workout less, dont run eat more. You need a foundation for lifting before you work on isolation, so i have learned.

But to answer your question yes, this is why HIIT is so popular.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I only spend about 30 minutes on lifting. I do compound exercises and continually keep moving to the next thing with maybe 1 minute rest while everyone else around me is spending hours in the gym sitting down and "resting" between sets. I like to get in and get out!
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but when I got to benching ~1xbw, squatting ~1.4xbw, and deadlifting ~1.7x bw for work sets, I had to rest a bit longer than 1 minute between sets.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    Just get it done. Don't waste time concerning yourself with these types of issues. They're really minor and your time is better spent concentrating on your routine, your nutrition and getting enough rest. This is what will get you the results you're looking for. There's nothing wrong with a 90 minute workout it that's what it takes.

If your routine demands that you wait longer between sets so you can lift heavier each set, then the workout will take longer. This is common for people trying to add mass and strength. On the other hand, people preferring to lose body fat might use supersets to keep their heart rate up which will shorten the workout. Neither one is wrong and both will result in muscle hypertrophy and protein synthesis. It just depends on what your goals are.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I love my gym time, and i when im pushing big weight, not uncommon for me to spend 3-4hrs a day in the gym.

Rather get the rest i need to get the reps in rather then go fast and fail reps.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    90 mins!!! thats far to long, I would say stop messing about on your phone, starting at girls, chatting to gym goers and admiring yourself in the mirror and you will have completed your workout in 40mins!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    45 to 60. Most studies I've read say that over 60 minutes starts to become counter-productive. As with anything, it depends. There are no hard rules. But, I usually try to stop at the one hour mark. And, I don't rest, so mine is continuous non-stop.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! i recently went from the 90 min to just getting it all done in 60 and was wondering if it was different but i guess its better so ill stick to it! appreciate your advice
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Try cutting from 60 down to 45. And 90 should never happen. Even with a partner and waiting for equipment I get out of the gym in less than 60.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    is 90 really that crazy for all i do like today was

bench press 5x5
    wide grip bench 3x10
    pec fly machine 3x10
    dumbbell bench 3x10
    dumbbell incline bench 3x10
    dumbbell fly 3x10
    dumbbell bicep 3x10
    dumbbell shrugs 3x10
    tricep pulldowns 3x10
    tricep extensions 3x10
    then 10 minutes of abs
  • wellbert
    Options
    Looks like part of a typical hypertrophy split. Time seems reasonable.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Looks like part of a typical bench 'n' curl bro split. Time seems reasonable.

Fixed! :wink:
  • wellbert
    Options

I'm jsut assuming squats and deadlifts are on his other two days... Benefit of the doubt, you know.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

Post is full of win.

btw, the routine matches the profile pic nicely!