This is the part where I always give up on MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• songbirdtree
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I really appreciate all the advice and see things from a fresher perspective now.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The measurements are a good idea for various body parts, but I honestly couldn't go a day without stepping on the scale! I need to see my weight every morning (good or bad) for motivation that day. Bad weight days are when I eat the freshest and healthiest!!
    I'm a daily weigher out of habit, but I don't use it for motivation. Good thing since I was up 4 pounds this morning from where I was a few days ago - but it doesn't bother me because I know I'm coming off of a lovely and filling Thanksgiving, hormones are goofy at this time of month, I didn't drink enough water yesterday - or whatever. Could be any number of things. Meanwhile, my size 6 jeans continue to be too big for me and I've been pulling them up all day (where's my belt?? LOL) despite the fact that the scale says I've gained 4 pounds. It ain't 4 pounds of fat, that's for sure! :tongue:

So if you must weigh yourself daily, don't use it for motivation one way or the other, but as a tool to see how your body has reacted to what you've been doing - exercise, what you ate, how much water, how much sodium, monthly changes, or whatever. My weight fluctuates daily - but I still need new jeans! :laugh:

So laugh at your scale, and trust your tape measure for sure. Much more accurate measure of progress.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No. When you lift heavy you tear muscle. when you tear muscle your body uses amino acids from protein and water to heal, just like if you got a cut on yoru hand, the cut itself swells and rises up. Just like with a muscle, when I shred a killer workout, I gain 3 pounds the next day, that's my muscles holding onto extra water due to inflammation and cellular repair!!!

Don't get discouraged, lift more!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate a surplus of 17,500 extra calories, you are not gaining 5lbs of fat. You're gaining 5lbs of water. It usually always happens when you begin or change an exercise program. It takes about 3 weeks to equalize and then it will be gone.

Slow and steady:flowerforyou:

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/help-why-does-my-workout-cause-weight-gain
  • Belliny
    Options
    i encourage you too keep going! even if that number on the scale is bad! in the end it will be worth it! =)
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Be honest.

Usually, the lack of results means a) you are not exercising as long/hard/consistently as you think you are and/or b) you are not recording your calories by weighing and/or measuring everything.

Plateaus are possible midway through for a variety of reasons, but not losing initially is almost always because of a and b.

My recommendation: 1st make the digital food scale your new best friend. It is possible to fudge with measuring cups, but a digital food scale will tell it like it is. 2nd purchase an HRM and use it to accurately calculate your exercise output.

I have had to preach this to myself when I stop seeing results. My mantra when I get off of a disappointing weigh-in is: "Be Honest". When I back-track through my weeks since the last weigh-in, I can usually find several "fudge" moments that led me to that disappointment.

Just my two (experienced) cents worth.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to give up many times, as well, but something in me has always kept me going. I'm glad it has. I encourage you to keep going, as well. You have it in you to be a true success! I'll be glad to friend you and motivate you!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Be honest.

Usually, the lack of results means a) you are not exercising as long/hard/consistently as you think you are and/or b) you are not recording your calories by weighing and/or measuring everything.

Plateaus are possible midway through for a variety of reasons, but not losing initially is almost always because of a and b.

My recommendation: 1st make the digital food scale your new best friend. It is possible to fudge with measuring cups, but a digital food scale will tell it like it is. 2nd purchase an HRM and use it to accurately calculate your exercise output.

I have had to preach this to myself when I stop seeing results. My mantra when I get off of a disappointing weigh-in is: "Be Honest". When I back-track through my weeks since the last weigh-in, I can usually find several "fudge" moments that led me to that disappointment.

Just my two (experienced) cents worth.

That's an excellent two cents, IMO!! My food scale and HRM have been ESSENTIAL to my success.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You are right when you say that the burn estimators - whether on a cardio machine or on MFP - are wrong. They are WAY wrong! The treadmill at the gym estimates my calorie burn at 2.5 times what my HRM does, even when I input my age and weight etc. I third the recommendation of a heart rate monitor. Still might not be accurate, but it's a lot closer.

I still drink alcohol plenty, when it fits in my calories for the day, and sometimes when it doesn't. ;) You don't have to give it up completely, but it sounds like you have a great plan for cutting back.

I use my scale as motivation, so I understand where you are coming from. On the other hand, I know that the "gains" I see aren't real and are just random fluctuations. They still motivate me. :D Especially if the serve as a reminder that I've indulged a bit in the past few days.

Don't give up! At the very least give yourself another month or two, and if MFP doesn't work (it will ;) ) then you can say you really gave it your best shot. I wonder if that's part of the problem... you don't want to actually try, because then if you aren't successful, you will feel more frustrated.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    How long are you continuing to exercise before you give up? It's common to see some weight gain when first starting to exercise and that can be from muscle mass OR from water retention... your muscles go into a recovery mode and store additional fluids, if you can continue pushing through, you will see the results you want, however, it might not show up on the scale as quickly as it shows up in how you feel and how your clothes fit.

Stick with it.... you'll get to your goal!!

Kim

In addition to the advice re: honest measurements and getting a HRM, this is true too. Your muscles will retain some water in order to repair themselves after any workout. As you get more regular with your exercise, you won't see this difference on the scale b/c it's part of your routine. BUT... it's multi-variate, so listen to the advice on measurements too. But if you measure accurately and still see a bit of a bump at first, don't quit. Set a goal that you'll exercise for 30 days. After that, re-assess and see how you're feeling. I also weigh every day, but it's motivating to me. If you know that's throwing you off, consider hiding the scale for the first 2 weeks of exercise. Not having that number to focus on might make you more diligent in your other reporting!

Good luck! You can do this :-)
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    No. When you lift heavy you tear muscle. when you tear muscle your body uses amino acids from protein and water to heal, just like if you got a cut on yoru hand, the cut itself swells and rises up. Just like with a muscle, when I shred a killer workout, I gain 3 pounds the next day, that's my muscles holding onto extra water due to inflammation and cellular repair!!!

Don't get discouraged, lift more!

This
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. Don't give up just because you've gained a couple of lbs. Give it 3 months for sure you'll see a change in your body. Nothing worth doing is going to be easy. I don't believe that there's an easy way to lose weight. It takes dedication and when you're feeling down, no one but YOU can pick yourself up. I love this site. All the friends I have are encouraging and just plain awesome, but at the end of the day, YOU have to eat right, YOU have to exercise and YOU have to motivate yourself from the inside out! DON'T GIVE UP!!! :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_maecp61Pdx1qke924o1_500.png
    tumblr_m6nu7xYxpO1qke924o1_500.png
    tumblr_m39rswbEyO1qke924o1_500.png
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!
    Find your Motivation in other activities and other progress measures like how many crunches, push-ups, minutes to walk/jog/run a mile etc.
    Consistency with nutrition and exercise is key. If you see a 2 lb gain one day and 4 lb loss the next it can often set up a binge and starve mentality....eating too little for several days or allowing too much on other days. Making a person feeling more guilty or bad or whatever. Your mind is the hardest to get into shape.

Break the scale habit and look at the big picture of overall health and well-being associated with better fitness and nutrition (not "diet" and being "skinny"). A fitter, toned, stronger self will happen.

"Body and soul cannot be separated for purposes of treatment, for they are one and indivisible. Sick minds must be healed as well as sick bodies." -C. Jeff Miller
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When starting a new exercise program, your muscles can retain water for a period of time to protect and repair your muscles from your workouts. As you get adjusted to your workouts, the water won't stay around. I have gained up to 10 pounds for 2 months depending on the intensity of the workout. It isn't fat that you gain. It is a good thing. Just work through it.
  • pixie39
    Options
    Just last night I was reading up on some tips in a running book and came across something that may help you. It is common when incorporating weight training into you workout for the scale to go up. Please dont get discouraged. Weight training is one of the most effective ways to burn calories. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn sitting still. Try to be health focused and let weight come off. Try not to weigh yourself more than once a week. Just go by how your clothes fit.Good luck I hope this helps. Also when you see the scale go up dont give up dig in and fight.:flowerforyou:
  • imcatbear
    Options
    I'm addicted to the scale. I step on it *way* too many times. That said, I've learned not to log my weight on here every day because the up and downs make me crazy! Tell yourself you will only log once a week-that has helped to keep me sane.

I measure body parts and although I have only lost 4-5 pounds from 6-8 weeks ago on the days I am not retaining fluid, those few pounds were the difference between a snug 16 and a 14. Because I am working out and my body is readjusting itself. I also have tendonosis, chronic inflammation, of my Achilles-it's really hard to see how my body changes when I use my ankles as the gauge.

I try to eat half of the suggested sodium on here. That helps me as well.

Good luck, you can do this. Also I think a 3 month trial period is perfectly worth it.