**Women with ovarian cysts??**

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently had an ultrasound that showed I had a right ovarian cyst. I had been having off and on pain in my pelvis along with a 15lb weight gain since April/May of this year. My doctor said the cyst should go away on it's own in a few months, so I have a repeat ultrasound in January to check it out. My problem is, she didn't offer any suggestions on losing this weight. Last year I went from 160 to 145 and was feeling so great, and now I'm back at 160-165 and feeling absolutely miserable. (Doesn't help that with the cyst, you get completely distended in your abdomen!). I eat relatively healthy everyday and make good choices when it comes to snacking. I occasionally with have some chocolate or ice cream. I work out 5 days a week-running, kickboxing, bootcamp, and sometimes yoga. With all my cardio, I should be dropping this weight but I don't even budge! Anyone else have this problem that can offer some insight and maybe some hope that I will be able to lose this weight eventually? I am the MOH in my best friends wedding in February and would like to be down 15lbs by then :) Thanks!

Replies

• katikate
    katikate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem. I had a melon sized cyst envelop my left ovary to the point I had a partial hysterectomy. I went from 180 to 145 in six months. Now I have another growing on my remaining ovary, and my weight just keeps creeping back up. Are you also hypoglycemic? Sometimes the screwed up hormones can affect the insulin and sugar balance.

I'm 5' 3.5", currently 159. I want to be 130 with body fat % below 30%. I've cut out refined sugars, white carbs, soda (sob) and upped my protein. And still, I gain.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Go see another doctor FAST. I have something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome combined with Insulin Resistance. Generally, low carb, high fiber, high protein diets tend to work well with that.

If the cysts remain, they'll need to do a laparoscopy to "aspirate" it. I've had that done before.

You might have them check you for PCOS....they can do that with a blood test and a ultrasound. THey usually treat it with Metformin, and once I started taking it, it helped my carb cravings, and I dropped 40 pounds without trying,. There are tricks to taking it to help keep hypoglycemia from kicking in.

Let me know if I can help answer any questions.
  • katikate
    katikate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    they tested me for pcos, and it came out negative. i just have "functional" cysts, although whomever named them that is a moron.

I did weigh myself yesterday and have gone back down two pounds, and i cant feel the cyst as much. maybe it is beginning to shrink? I hope so!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    they tested me for pcos, and it came out negative. i just have "functional" cysts, although whomever named them that is a moron.

I did weigh myself yesterday and have gone back down two pounds, and i cant feel the cyst as much. maybe it is beginning to shrink? I hope so!

Ummm every woman who ovulates has a "functional cyst" after the egg is released. It's called a corpus luteum. These are perfectly normal and should be there after ovulation until they shrink and disappear around the time of your period.
    There ARE other types of cysts that should be looked at, but a corpus luteum is perfectly normal.

EDITED: just saw your post about the melon sized cyst.. yeah that is not normal and shouldn't have been called a functional cyst at all.
  • huggykpuma
    huggykpuma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would go back to your Dr, I have also been struggling with this, but mine is not as big, heating pad, and alivie when pain get really bad.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Go see another doctor FAST. I have something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome combined with Insulin Resistance. Generally, low carb, high fiber, high protein diets tend to work well with that.

If the cysts remain, they'll need to do a laparoscopy to "aspirate" it. I've had that done before.

You might have them check you for PCOS....they can do that with a blood test and a ultrasound. THey usually treat it with Metformin, and once I started taking it, it helped my carb cravings, and I dropped 40 pounds without trying,. There are tricks to taking it to help keep hypoglycemia from kicking in.

Let me know if I can help answer any questions.

Careful with that Metformin though. One of the reasons that you lose weight so fast is because it causes you to use the restroom A LOT and there is no holding it! It is a great medicine and helped me to have my last two children when my insulin resistance was causing miscarriages but man. Your body will adjust, just warning you of the roughness you can possibly incur at the beginning!
  • nicpap617
    nicpap617 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I do not have PCOS. I've had ultrasound and many blood tests with all normal results. Have seen my PCP and GYN. I haven't felt it the last couple months, so I'm hoping it's shrinking.

My main concern is my weight gain. My doctors claim it's not related to the cyst. They said I could just be having some metabolism changes since I'm getting older.... I'm 27..... I refuse to believe that's my problem. I have always had the extra weight, but when I worked really hard to lose, I would lose. Now I've have a complete lifestyle change in the way I eat and work out and I just keep gaining! I thought maybe I've hit a plateau, so I increased my workout routine. I have changed up how many calories I consume as well-1200,1400,1600. and nothing has seemed to help. But I do find that I am starving at 1200-1400 cals. I've recently increased my cals to 1725 based on my TDEE and my amount of exercise, so we'll see if that now makes the difference. I always hear people say that when they increase their cals, they end up losing - if they are regularly working out. It's just so frustrating to me that I am healthy, but everyday is a new struggle to fit in my clothes. :(