Where do I find the long term motivation?

Options
I've been doing this practically my whole life and when I get mad about my progress, I simply say "You know what, I'm cool with myself. I'm a good lookin girl and it doesn't matter that I'm overweight." And then I go about every day portraying my "I don't give a crap" attitude. The truth is I secretly want to be smaller and I see all these people that had the patience to do this and see their hard work results in a year :( I want to know what their motivation is, cause I can't honestly believe they haven't had days where they're ready to throw the weights out the window and yell "SCREW THIS!"

Help? What's your long term motivation and how did you find it?

Replies

• SJSharkie
    Options
    Hi there-
    I feel similarly to you. Weight has been a lifelong struggle. I find my motivation in keeping the goals small and getting on the scale frequently so I can "celebrate" the small wins like 1 lb lost here or there. They add up and goodness knows they come on in blink of an eye but take so much work to loose.

I've lost 23 lbs so far since July and I have about 45 more to go. It feels like it's such a long way off but I try to think that it may be slow but it's working.

I'm looking for new friends for encouragement and accountablity. My boyfriend and I were doing this together but broke up last month and so I'm looking for new support as I continue this challenge!

:happy:
  • Holdenke1
    Holdenke1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    KHardy, I know that thought process all too well. I get fed up and say that I look good so I give up. So what has changed for me lately is that I have a health issue - my back is not doing so well. I know the number one help for this is to lose weight, so that I am in my normal weight range. Please don't wait until you have health issues to get into your normal weight range. The truth is, you will feel better if you lose weight, no matter what. Take it one day at a time.

SJSHarkie - I'm sorry you and your boyfriend broke up. I know that can be devastating. Please don't let that stop your journey here. You'll find plenty of friends - take the chance and go someplace you've never gone before. Where you can meet new people. There's a whole world of guys out there. :smile:
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    It is definitely a mental game. That is the much harder part. I have had weight issues my whole adult life.
    This is my third major effort at tackling my weight problem. The first attempt was with a low carb/ Atkins approach. It worked well until I let some family/ life crap derail me. I lost 80 lbs in 4 months (285 - 205). Gained about 10 back, but stayed there for about 6 - 8 months. That is when the other 'life' crap happened. I started eating and eating, and gained and gained.

My second attempt I joined a program called Metabolic Research Center. The diet was good, the exercise they encouraged was great. I was walking and pushing myself to walk a half marathon. I lost 40 pounds (282 - 242). But, mentally, I just wasn't there. I got annoyed with the lady I worked with that was a size 4, and was all about how she used to be 160 lbs and a size 12. I thought - You have no idea what it means to be heavy.

I gained everything back and then some.

Almost a year ago, I knew my health was very bad, I weighed 295 pounds. Everyday I would say a silent prayer that I hoped I didn't have a stroke today. I finally went to the doctor to find out just how bad things were. My blood pressure was 195/ 115. Several weeks later I got the rest of the lab work results - sugar levels 127, and while my cholesterol wasn't 'bad' combined with all the other numbers he said I was in metabolic syndrome. Based on my blood pressure and weight - I started that day.

My motivation on those days where I am struggling...
    1) remembering where I was at, and how easy it is to fall back into that.
    2) my kids - I want to be there and enjoy all their life moments with them
    3) my kids - as an example of what a healthy lifestyle is
    4) talking with friends who are a healthy weight and have always been - and learning that it isn't easy for them either. For some it is easier than others, but for MANY - it is a 'force yourself to workout', because it is just what we have to do for a balanced healthy life.
    5) for diet ... remind myself that diet is and always will be a majority of the battle. You can't out exercise a terrible diet.

I find that having specific mini goals does help. Last year I did a 5K (walk) in March, a walked Relay-for-Life in July, and Race for the Cure in September. I look forward to jogging the Shamrock Run this year in March. I also want to do a Warrior Dash in September.

My most recent push comes from joining a group to get to under 200 by Christmas. I have had two significant stalls, but am right at target to make that goal. I haven't seen that number since 1991!!

My ultimate goal is not a number on the scale, it is to be under 22% body fat, and to have a less than 29 inch waist. I also have a specific fitness goal of being able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes or less.

When you want to say 'Screw It', tell yourself - I am worth this. It is worth it!! It is not just to lose weight, but to get and STAY healthy. Even if you don't lose another pound, your heart needs you to eat right and get regular exercise.

Good Luck!!!
  • PunchyLaRue
    Options
    I struggle to find it all the time. I do exactly the same thing as you said, give it a go, then when I don't see amazing results right away, or get stressed, or worn out, throw in the towel, tell myself I am okay where I am, but then find myself frustrated again. I tell myself that the longer I keep at it, the more of a lifestyle change it will be. If I can stop weight gain evey year and incorporate healthy choices and excercise, the easier ny life will be as I get older. And to be perfectly honest, I want to LOOK good and FEEL good too.

For me, I can't do "diets" per se. They never work long term. I have had to just realize that eating healthier is harder, it takes longer to cook (vs fast food) and it is hard to work out every day. But I HAVE TO DO IT!!

Don't give up, keep at it. I know you can reach your goals, and get to a point where it is second nature. And when you feeel like you can't, take a break, forone day, and then go back to it.

Vary your workouts, try new foods, and try to keep it fresh. Also, find your new "favorites" that will always be there for you when you might not have the enrgy or courage to try the new things.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Pretty much comes down to the fact that you have to be ready to change.

I knew for many years that I should not be smoking, but I made all sorts of excuses and rationalizations as to why I should keep smoking. Then, one day, I just hit that critical point where all the excuses sounded stupid and hollow and I knew that I wanted to be healthy, save money and not feel ostracized everywhere I went. So I quit. It wasn't easy, but I knew that going in. I fell on and off the wagon for a while. That was 16 years ago. I am so glad that I stopped smoking as I watch my mother suffering with emphsema.

FF to present: In the past 3 years I gained 21 lbs. I made excuses. I rationalized. Then, I realized that I was doing exactly what I had done as a smoker. I know what is required to lose weight. I knew it would required diligence on my part. I have lost 21 lbs.

Everytime someone asks me, "Have you lost weight?" and I reply, "yes, 21 lbs since January." Then they always ask, "How did you do it?" I reply, "I log everything I eat so that I can porion control and I exercise at least 5 days a week." And then I wait for the excuses and the rationalizations. They always come. I don't argue with them. I just nod and go on about my business. I realize that they are not ready. They are hoping I will tell them that I took this pill or used this diet and magically dropped 21 lbs.

Bottom line, you have to be ready to make the change. No on can "give you" the motivation. You have to be ready to stop the excuses and the rationalizations. BUT...if you stay on this site and keep reading the success stories and get informed about diet and exercise, if you log your food intake and move a little, you will see results.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I threw away my fat clothes and bought nothing but skinny clothes. I am broke. I have no choice.
  • Drewillbeback111
    Options
    look at my friends, some are long term success stories, that motivates me.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've lost 64 pounds in a little over 3 months and it is entirely due to MFP and the c25k program. My willpower was just the glue that held the whole thing together. The truth is that the only sustainable way to lose weight and to keep it off is to watch what you eat and exercise for the rest of your life. This might sound really daunting from where you're standing and it did to me at first but I made it work. The way I did that was by changing my life incrementally. I run 5 days a week now and my diet is much better now than when I started. The whole lifestyle is just normal to me now. I couldn't imagine wolfing down oreos, cheetos and taco bell every day like I used to. Remember, this is a lifelong change, not a diet that will come and go. Every week or two, probably closer to two, I eat something that I crave that I would not normally eat such as chinese food or taco bell or delivery pizza. You have to allow yourself a meal like that once in a while because denying yourself forever will lead to depression. You just have to find a balance. I had butter popcorn and chocolate today and today was just a normal day. Check my diary if you like. The long-term part will come on it's own. This is a day-by-day proposition; an invitation to you to become aware of what you are eating and how much you are burning with exercise. Welcome to the club!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have just started this for the 3 time, but my motivation this round comes from a book- Eat that Frog. My sister is having me read it. It has nothing to do with weight loss, but everything to do with achieving success. I plan on reading one book a month to find out how others stay motivated to achieve their goals. I know the how to lose the weight, and now my why needs to be big enough to make me want it enough to do the necessary steps.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think every one of us on this site has had a day where we want to chuck the weights (or running shoes) out of the window and just say screw it. Who knows what separates those who give up from those who succeed - I don't know. I think you've got to mentally ready for the change because making this lifestyle switch is really hard. My motivation has changed through the 3 years I've been on this journey. At first I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Now, I love spending time with the friends I've met through bootcamp and running. They are amazing people and my life is richer for knowing them. I love how I feel now and don't ever want to go back to being that heavy and unhappy again.

MFP is a great site for motivation too. It helps to know that you're not alone!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    As a lifelong yo-yo, my motivation while losing weight isn't the problem. It's staying where I am once I've reached my goal weight -- which I've done numerous times.

I boil it down to one word: sustainability.

On the way down I take it one day at a time. I don't try to lose X number of pounds by a certain date. I'll get there when (not if) I get there -- and I also take how I look and how my clothes fit into consideration. It isn't just the scale.

In the past I've been great with ramping up my exercise, which then "let" me eat more. The problem was, that amount of exercise wasn't sustainable. Neither did I change my emotional eating as a stress response, so the weight came back on and then some.

This time I'm taking it at a slower pace. I'm changing my stress responses away from food. I'm exercising not because I have to, but because I want to, and with a mini-bike beside my desk I'm making it easier for myself. I also make my food substitutions easier, by making sure that I always have a good supply on hand of fresh produce.

It's not a diet. It's just another day.

Caregiving has taught me to live in the moment because our world can change on a dime. I have learned to have no expectations, but to just keep doing the right thing. I have also learned a lot of patience. I know that I cannot take care of another person if I can't care for myself, and I am worth surviving and thriving wherever and whenever I can. Taking care of myself is part of that thriving.

The real test for me will come once I reach my goal weight, whenever that is. All I can say at this point is that I'm headed in that direction, one day at a time, and that's all that I can ask for.
  • housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Actual studies (and my own personal experience) have shown that people who are seeking weight loss for health reasons are far more successful at losing and keeping the weight off. If its all about fitting in a smaller size, or looking better while they can be short term motivators (who doesn't want to be cuter in a smaller size!) the ability to stick to the plan or pick yourself up when you mess up and get back to work usually needs a health connection- pain in hips or knees from the excess weight, scare from test results disease like diabetes or difficulty in keeping up with small children can motivate us and keep us on task better than that fleeting desire to wear a smaller size weighed against the things we would have to do to get there!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Focus on true health/fitness and not just weight. That's what has worked for me. Sure, I have lost weight in the process, and would be happy to lose more, but my real goal is better health: eating healthy foods, getting stronger, being more flexible, having more stamina. I know many people believe thin=healthy and fat=unhealthy, but a quick look around the forums here will prove otherwise (you'll see 250 pound people running 5ks and 110 pound women starving themselves and scared to lift weights lest they build all that unhealthy muscle). Work on true health and weight loss may follow (and, even if it doesn't, you'll still feel better).

My point is, "weight" or "health" where health is only a euphemism for "weight" isn't always an inspiring enough goal. Having a fitness goal is helpful, rather than just a number goal. If there is a sport or other activity (for me it's dance) that you can get involved with, that might be more inspiring to you than just a vague feeling of wanting to be thinner.

Also, go easy on yourself. If you want some ice cream have it. Don't stress about things like Thanksgiving dinner. Really changing your body, whether to become skinnier, stronger, or anything else takes time and is an on-going process. If you beat yourself up over every little thing, you'll get off track and never make it to your destination.
  • neen6270
    neen6270 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Agreed that it is so hard to sustain a weight loss plan. I do well a few days or weeks and then give up after a 5-10 pound loss and end up where I started. Vicious cycle. Would love support from this website.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think you must have been spying on me all the years I yelled "SCREW THIS!" with my "I don't give a crap" attitude!!!! LOL

It is hard to go long term when we live in an "instant gratification" society anymore. It's hard to stay "in the moment" doing the "What can I do RIGHT NOW that's going to help me tomorrow?"

One thing that helps me a lot is that I have a Fitbit. Between the Fitbit, and logging on MFP, I have enough data to show that what I'm doing is setting me up for success. Watch the numbers at the bottom of your food diary that say, "If every day were like today, you would weigh this much in 5 weeks..." Also watch the graph on the Fitbit site that shows the calories burned vs. calorie intake....if you're burning more than you take in, you're going to lose weight. Also, on the Fitbit site, you can put in what your target weight is - and it'll tell you - "You should hit your goal on ________ day." So it gives you a light at the end of the tunnel.

For me it was all about giving me enough data to show that I was making steps in the right direction.

For what it's worth....
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I failed at every attempt to lose weight until this last time. (I did once lose 20 lbs just by moving to a walkable city, but there was no effort there.) Diets never lasted more than 3 hours.

I think the difference was I did not let my feelings get in the way. Instead of waiting to 'feel like' working out, I just did it. I committed to 30 minutes a day of something, no matter what. If I was tired, it could be a walk. I'd read someone compare it to basic hygiene, like brushing your teeth, and that metaphor stuck.

I chose things with few opportunities to weasel out (DVDs, walking, C25k < wish I hadn't done the last, wasn't fit enough for it, anyway). It was all stuff I could do from home without a ton of prep or driving or having to psych myself up.

It's probably ridiculous to people who either were taught how to do this or had no problem teaching themselves, but shifting from feelings/motivation to habit/structure was really profound for me, I have to tell you.

I wasn't perfectly compliant, but my aim was to be.

I can't deny that it probably also helped that I'd recently come out of a relationship and was job-searching. So my background motivation was pretty high. (I'd linked weight loss with financial and personal success, in my head, having read some stupid article on hiring practices.)
  • DankiStar
    Options
    Celebrate the wins. Each cm lost, each lb lost. Do it in bite sized chunks. Work on the 10% goal - aim to lose 10% of your weight at a time. I was 176lb, I have lost 10% of that, so am now working towards my next goal of losing another 16lb. Then I will try to lose another 14lb and be at my healthy weight.

But these milestones are not what is driving me. I have booked in group fitness sessions about 5 times per week, if I don't go I forfeit my payment. That's a big motivator for me. I have started C25k, I aim to finish this by Christmas. I have two friends who are going to push me over the Christmas break to work out
  • KHardy1989
    Options
    Thanks for all of this :) as far as health goes: every doctor I've ever been to has all said I'm incredibly healthy. There's nothing wrong with me, I just need to lose a few pounds.

What are some good reward ideas for meeting goals?
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of this :) as far as health goes: every doctor I've ever been to has all said I'm incredibly healthy. There's nothing wrong with me, I just need to lose a few pounds.

I always try to reward myself with new clothes, or something that I now "need" due to my weight loss - if I can fit comfortably into a smaller size pants, I buy them!! :laugh:

I have also bought new running shoes, workout clothes, etc, because some of my old stuff was literally falling off of me!!

Good luck!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

You really received some great responses!

First and foremost, your rewards should always be something that isn't food-related. Depending on your current lifestyle and preferences, rewards could be something like a pedicure, getting your hair colored by a professional, those cute shoes you saw in the mall the other day, a new pair of jeans because your old ones are getting too baggy, a heart rate monitor, a new pair of running shoes... you name it!

Make yourself some mini goals and don't make them all weight-related. If you're starting a new exercise routine like the 30 day shred or P90X, give yourself a reward when you complete it. If you decide to start Couch to 5K, completing your first 20 minutes of jogging without walking is a great time for a reward.