Sweet, Sweet Problems...

Options
2»

Replies

• booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Get an angel food cake mix, dump in a can of sugar free cherry (or any other fruit filling), stir and bake. Delish. Do not add other ingredients to the cake mix and bake at temp directions say.

Spice cake mix, add can of pumpkin, bake at temp box says. Do not add other ingredients on the box such as eggs, etc.
  • all4my3boyz
    all4my3boyz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Work what you crave into your daily calories. I have Peanut M&M's almost every night after dinner. As long as you have calories availible, use them. If you don't have calories left, go exercies so you can eat more! :wink:
    I personally work out so I CAN eat more!
  • rcavazos83
    Options
    Agreed! The WW Fudge Bars. YES!

I have also had Jamba Fruit bars. They are a mix of yogurt and fruirt. The strawberry options is really good and its low cal and low sugar, but it still tastes really sweet.

I love sweets and candy so I do feel your pain.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    See!? It use to not be a problem...while still a bad habit, I use to ignore dessert in favor of another helping of something savoury. But now...oh no, it has to be sweet. Thanks, wife's awesomely sweet family who run a cake business and bake cinnamon bread in their free time!
  • abbyface
    Options
    2) Make room for the calories for the desserts you want. Don't sacrifice actual nutritional elements of your diet for dessert, but you can always adopt a "WILL RUN 4 DONUTS" attitude.

This is pretty much what I do. I find that most healthier alternatives don't calm the craving and I end up eating what I originally wanted anyways.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    We make ff sf jello pudding using almond milk. You can add a drop of extract to it, or as we do, add some canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Not very many calories, and it still tastes like dessert. Buy some gingersnaps or lf graham crackers, and toss 'em into the blender to make tiny crumbs, then sprink a tsp on top-tastes nearly like a pumpkin pie. Cool whip lite.

Try going to hungrygirl dot com-there are a lot of recipes there for things that are decademnt tasting but lower in cals. I'm sure your tiny wife isn't trying to do you in. She is prolly trying to show you the love-and I bet she would be willing to try some of the skjinny desserts for you-my non-dieting friends can't tell the difference. Sometimes its low cal and other times the full calorie version-and they never knoiw which is which.

barb
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    there are so many ways to make even your favorite dessert healthy now a days... maybe she can help there. Also for me , and just me... I am craving something sweet. So for dinner (not dessert) I am having a cup of butternut squash, with 1 tbls of sugar and some pumpkin spice... mmmm always fills me up.

1 cup baked butter nut squash
    1 tbls white sugar
    1 pat of butter (opt)
    1 tbs pumpkin pie spice. = 163 calories...

another option is 6 oz of citris yogurt and 6 oz of low fat cottage cheese. If you use pina coloda yogurt, makes it even better. calories = 160 calories.

Hope this helps... Have a great day.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    maybe bake an apple with some cinnamon? A dessert smoothie? My fave though is

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp (or so) powdered stevia extract
    70 cals or so!!

mix the cocoa powder with a small amount of yogurt at first to avoid lumps then dump it all in and enjoy!
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You guys are coming up with so many ideas I may have to hit up the grocery store on the way home from work. This is insane!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    so the other night I put 2% greek yogurt, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, half a frozen banana and a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon in the blender. Winning!

You can try it with any frozen fruit, comes out like frozen yoghurt and the macros are awesome!
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation :)
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How about some canned sweet potatoes (or half of a fresh produce sweet potato), with a dash of butter and cinnamon? That's definitely Southern cuisine. Melt hot tamales over it if you feel really naughty and have enough calories left.

Or...canned sugar-free fruit cocktail?

Or, as another poster mentioned, Weight Watchers frozen sweet treats. They're really tasty.

How about a fruit salad mixed with light Cool Whip and some Stevia if you need the sweetness?

Granola-yogurt parfaits with lemon zest.

Some of the protein bars have just enough of a sweet edge to them to satisfy a sweet tooth.

And...definitely try that microwavable apple dish. That sounds yummy.

Good luck and best wishes to you. You'll get the hang of either exercising to have extra calories, or saying no thanks, or trying some low-calorie fare instead.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    one cup of frozen wild blueberries mixed with 3/4 cup of 3.5% MF balkan style plain yogurt (We particularly like the Olympic brand). You have to play around with the berries and yogurt to get the best flavour for you. It has dealt with our Hagen Daz Habit. We have it every night.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating dessert too and still eat it, usually two meals a day. But I've learned to just eat a small portion and walk away.:smile: Everything in moderation...
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A square of 72% dark chocolate does it for me these days. When I was adjusting to eating less sugar, I'd make the baked ricotta custards from the South Beach diet.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    All this ideas are great... and wonderful... but they might not solve the actual problem.
    My solution is not so delicious - I'm sorry ;-)
    ... but it might help

This urge to eat some sugar after a meal can be
    a) Your Insulin Level raised too fast with your meal -> try low gycemic.
    I'm Insulin Resistant and I always had/still have sugar cravings after high (normal) carb meals.

and/or b)
    your liver does not start to work and needs a kick start. Sugar is one thing she (in english it's probably it, but my liver is a she ;-) ...) asks for.
    Espresso can do the same. Or maybe the healthiest solution I know from the Chinese Medicine is Pu Erh Tea. It really helps me with the liver sugar cravings.

And because neither the Insulin Level nor the Liver likes to be cheated, they still ask for the sugar and that's why so many of us go on after sf jello and other sf stuff until we have eaten the real sugar thing.

Hope this makes sense. If you have more questions about it, feel free to ask!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I love the Weight Watchers chocolate raspberry bars. The flavor combination is amazing and they satisfy my sweet craving - I'm like you, I crave something sweet after a meal/at night.