1200 calories too low?

Options
I've just been skim reading through some other posts on here and noticed that a lot of people are saying that 1200 calories is too low.

I am on day 3 and have found that it's made me eat healthier (the calorie counting) most importantly I'm not at all hungry and if I were to bulk up my calories it would mean eating more than I feel I need to.

Does this mean that 1200 is ok for me? I have no idea what a non-dieter needs calorie wise

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I've just been skim reading through some other posts on here and noticed that a lot of people are saying that 1200 calories is too low.

I am on day 3 and have found that it's made me eat healthier (the calorie counting) most importantly I'm not at all hungry and if I were to bulk up my calories it would mean eating more than I feel I need to.

Does this mean that 1200 is ok for me? I have no idea what a non-dieter needs calorie wise

almost always the answer is going to be that it's too low. unless you're a very petite woman, it is going to be too low. without knowing your height, weight, age, BF%, etc. it's hard to know for sure. basically you need to figure out your TDEE (this is BMR + your daily activity + your daily exercise) and then deduct a healthy weight loss deficit from that. if you do those calculations and the result is 1200, then you're ok. if you just pulled the 1200 number out of thin air, then you're going to get alot of suggestions to actually sit down and figure out with math what the right number is for you.
  • DoinItForMe32
    Options
    I find it works for me, if i want to actually lose weight while getting fit then staying under 1200 is important but if i feel super hungry after I've done plenty of exercise I listen to my body and eat. I think you should just do what works for you. Everyone is differend :D
  • NicoleNeverman
    Options
    It might be fine for you! Try it for a couple of weeks and see how you go. And remember that if you are exercising and burning a lot of calories make sure you eat a good proportion of them back!

The main thing is to just make sure you are getting enough nutrients on 1200 cal.

Personally, I've never tried 1200 calories, I'm on 1400 and it is working out great for me! Still losing at about 2 pounds a week because exercise gets me down to a net of about 1200 a day.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    for example, let's say you're 30 years old, 5'4" and 145lbs and you don't know your BF%. your base BMR is going to be somewhere around 1450 calories per day. you work a desk job, so your daily activity level is "sedentary". so you use a 1.2x multiplier. that gives you a daily BMR of 1740. you exercise 4 days a week and burn on average 350 calories in those sessions, so...

your TDEE on days you exercise is 2090.
    your TDEE on days you do not exercise is 1740.

if you want to lose 1lb per week, then you need a daily deficit of 500 calories.

thus,

on the days you exercise, you want to eat 1590 calories.
    on the days you don't exercise, you want to eat 1240 calories.

if you setup MFP profile correctly and log your food and exercise accurately each day, it'll give you these numbers and remind you each day how many more calories you need or how much you are over.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I find it works for me, if i want to actually lose weight while getting fit then staying under 1200 is important but if i feel super hungry after I've done plenty of exercise I listen to my body and eat. I think you should just do what works for you. Everyone is differend :D

"everybody" is not different. the basic math and BMR/TDEE concepts are easy to grasp. don't just pick a number at random. actually calculate it or let MFP calculate it for you. unless you have an unusual medical condition, following the numbers will work for everybody.
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I personally couldn't survive on 1200 calories. I eat about 1700 a day and that is before exercise. I lost 13 pounds over a 3 month period doing this. Fueling your body is important especially if you are exercising a decent amount each day. Good luck on what ever you choose!
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very petite or you have a lot of weight to lose - 1200 is too low. I learned that from experience. I thought the less I ate the more I'd lose...WRONG!!

You need to find your TDEE (www.fitnessfrog.com) and minus 20% no more than 25% from that number and that should be what you should eat daily. If you exercise you should try to eat at least 1/2 of your exercise calories back. Think of your body as a car - it needs fuel to move. 1200 barely sustains life/ body organ function....your body NEEDS more to LOSE more. :) Weird but true.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It might be okay, but it might not. If you have a large amount of weight to lose, or if you are very short/small, then it might be appropriate.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is also the baseline lowest number that MFP gives out. I don't think it takes into account height or current weight or anything. I'm very short (barely 5'1) and pretty sedentary, so I've gone with the 1200, but if you are taller or more active (or want to become more active), 1200 might not be such a good fit. Other posters have great formulas and stuff for calculating specific calorie needs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133163973
    Do the math and you tell us if its enough.

Chances are it isnt unless you plan on eating back all calories consumed.
    Even if you were extremely obese 1200 is probably too low.
    If you are already lean and just going for the last 10-20 its way too low.

If the BB.com thread is too hard to figure out use this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Toninz
    Toninz Posts: 29
    Options
    Wow! Math was never my strong point. 1200 is what MFP suggested and having never actually calorie counted before I thought it was ok.

I really need some help with this, unless there is a calculator somewhere on here??

Height: 164cm / 5'4"
    Current weight: 80kg
    Goal weight: 60kg (by July 2013 if that makes any difference?)
    I have a desk job, so I come under "sedentary"
    I'm only light exercising at the moment and will be fore at least another 2 weeks due to planned surgery this coming Monday. I do plan to change that once I have fully recovered

Your help is really appreciated xx
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Wow! Math was never my strong point. 1200 is what MFP suggested and having never actually calorie counted before I thought it was ok.

I really need some help with this, unless there is a calculator somewhere on here??

I'm only light exercising at the moment and will be fore at least another 2 weeks due to planned surgery this coming Monday. I do plan to change that once I have fully recovered

So 1600 daily should do the trick.
    Be sure not to cut calories while recovering from surgery so your body has the building blocks to heal itself correctly.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

1867 is your daily BMR, which has already been adjusted with the sedentary multiplier.

this is not 100% accurate because BF% is not taken into account, but statistically it should be a good starting point for most of the women your age, height, and weight.

on days with no extra cardio/strength exercise, your TDEE = your daily BMR
    on days with extra cardio/strength exercise, your TDEE = your daily BMR + the exercise calories you burned

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

you want to lose 44lbs over the next 30 weeks, so let's call that 1.5lbs per week.

to do that, you need a 750 calorie deficit from your TDEE each day between now and then.

since you're not exercising now, that works out to about 1120 calories per day that you should eat. so long as you are taking a multivitamin with food and meeting your macro goals and not hungry, then this should be ok for you. it's a bit aggressive since your goal is aggressive, but if you can do this for a couple of weeks until you can add exercise, then you're ok. once you add exercise, then your daily calorie goal goes up on the days you exercise by the amount of calories you burn exercising. that's what they mean when they say "eat back your exercise calories". the goal is to keep your deficit consistent from day-to-day, even as your TDEE changes each day.

however, if you find yourself hungry each day, whether you exercise or not, then you should consider scaling back your timeframe for accomplishing your goal. instead of 30 weeks, you could try 45 weeks and then your deficit is only 500 calories per day (i.e., you get to eat an extra 250 calories every day).
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    looks like these guys have you covered...listen to them
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very petite or you have a lot of weight to lose - 1200 is too low. I learned that from experience. I thought the less I ate the more I'd lose...WRONG!!

You need to find your TDEE (www.fitnessfrog.com) and minus 20% no more than 25% from that number and that should be what you should eat daily. If you exercise you should try to eat at least 1/2 of your exercise calories back. Think of your body as a car - it needs fuel to move. 1200 barely sustains life/ body organ function....your body NEEDS more to LOSE more. :) Weird but true.

Thanks for the fitnessfrog link! Calculators were helpful
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think your goal might be too aggressive. I'm taller and older than you (5'9" and 44) and was 80kg late July. Wanted to get down to 68 and am nearly there (300g to go) and have been dieting/exercising since late July.

When I first came to MFP, I put in a 2pd/week goal but soon realised that the longer I ate at 1200 cals, the higher the likelihood that I would be miserable, hungry and shouty.

Now eat between 1700-2000 and am still losing - but more slowly. And, you know, I'm much more fun to be around :)

Try for a pound a week loss and see what MFP gives you.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Oh...this again? *facepalm*
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I knew they'd show up!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My doc said not to go below 1200 for proper nutrition. I find if I keep my cals between 1200-1400 I lose weight whether I'm at 1400 or down to 1200. So, I just swing around in there depending on how hungry I am.
  • Toninz
    Toninz Posts: 29
    Options

Sorry if I offended you, but we all have to start somewhere and this weight loss business is a lot more complicated than I thought to do it right.

To all of those with helpful comments :wink: I thank you.