Cannot stay under 1200 :(

Options
I am finding it really hard to stay under 1200 calories. Today I started measuring my food for the first time, the day is not even close to over and I am so hungry.
It's not that I eat bad foods, maybe it is just too much. I am also trying to watch my sugar intake.
Over the past year my thyroid has been dipping low every now and again, I thought maybe that could effect my weight loss.
I really just need some advice on how to not starve on eating 1200 calories or less.

Replies

• Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    simple,. eat more than 1200.

its not a magic number.

Go to ; in place of a road map and follow that. worked for me! I lose on 1800 :))
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Maybe up your calories a bit. 1200 may be too low for you. Or you could always eat back your exercise calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat LESS. You should eat a minimum of 1200. Are you doing any exercise? If so you need to eat 1200 plus more fuel for exercising.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I need to eat at least 1300 daily to lose. If I eat anywhere near 1200, I go on a seemingly endless plateau. If you're hungry, your body needs to be fed. Try eating a bit more protein. An egg or handful of nuts will do wonders.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Don't eat 1200 calories a day. I tried that when I started here. Was always hungry always over my calorie limit. I changed my goal to 1lb a week and managed a lot better.
  • DatNative21
    DatNative21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry eat more i eat about 1700 a day and i feel fine you have to play around a little bit remember everyone's different
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    A goal is allocated for you to reach it, not go below it. Also consider upping your intake, 1200 may not be enough for you. Find your TDEE and subtract 15-20% from it and maybe eat at that. Good luck
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I snack all day on vegetables and then don't need as much at meal time to feel full. I manage to eat around 1200 calories MOST days (of course I go over a couple times a week...usually weekends, lol). Have a look at my diary if you want to get an idea of what a 1200 calorie diet can look like.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot more than that and lose so eat more.
  • nicolewood415
    nicolewood415 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my sugar intake. A lot of it comes from fruit, but it's all natural sugars as opposed to processed and fruit has good nutrition. If you're still hungry, try eating more protein and fiber. I tend to pair protein with my fruit for a more filling snack, like apples or bananas with peanut butter or with a cheese stick.
  • Bev_Q
    Bev_Q Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat about 1400 cals a day---I also exercise, so MFP allows me more than 1200 cals as my goal.

It would be difficult for me to stick to 1200

The 1200 is really a guideline--it's not for every person without exception.

I am also low sugar---as in less than 25 grams a day.

About 2 months ago I started the Primal Lifestyle (too much to go into here, but you can check it out at www.marksdailyapple.com )

Completely life changing for me--I never crave junk food anymore, I never feel hungry or want to go on sugar binges (used to be a daily occurrence). I only eat when I'm hungry and sometimes that's only 2 meals a day. I have tons of energy and I feel amazing.

So your advice on not starving on 1200 calories--might not be possible. My general daily menu looks something like this:

AM: 2 egg omelet w/ veggies OR full fat yogurt w/ almonds, unsweetened coconut shreds and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Noon: Big salad w/ seeds and nuts and sprinkled with parm cheese. Leftover roasted veggies from dinner the night before.

PM: Meat of choice--usually braised chicken thighs, beef stew or baked something. Roasted veggie and another veggie--like sauteed kale or another salad.

Snack--which I don't eat anymore, but if you need them would be a handful of nuts, handful of berries or other fruit, a hard-boiled egg or celery w/ almond butter.

I generally come in right at 1400 cals.

Try it, adding 200 cals is not the end of the world ;)
  • laurajeanadelina
    Options
    I shouldn't have used the word less. I definatly know that is not healthy for me to eat less then 1200 calories.
    I go to the gym 4 times a week, so I am a little bit active.
    I will try and up my intake of calories and see how that goes.

Thank you everyone :)
  • soonerman4life
    soonerman4life Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1200 k/cal? I eat that for breakfast. Without knowing your height, weight, and bodyfat percentage it would be impossible to calculate your caloric and macronutrient needs but 1200 sounds low. Use this formula to calculate your calorie needs then subtract 10 - 20 percent to achieve a caloric deficit.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Then multiply that number by which ever of these modifiers fits your lifestyle

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

This number will be an estimate of what you need to maintain your current weight.

Another simple formula is body weight X 14 = maintenance calories. Not as accurate as the equation above but should get you within 100 - 200 calories of maintenance.
  • laurajeanadelina
    Options
    1200 k/cal? I eat that for breakfast. Without knowing your height, weight, and bodyfat percentage it would be impossible to calculate your caloric and macronutrient needs but 1200 sounds low. Use this formula to calculate your calorie needs then subtract 10 - 20 percent to achieve a caloric deficit.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Then multiply that number by which ever of these modifiers fits your lifestyle

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

This number will be an estimate of what you need to maintain your current weight.

Another simple formula is body weight X 14 = maintenance calories. Not as accurate as the equation above but should get you within 100 - 200 calories of maintenance.

This confused me a little bit. I weigh 66kgs, height 158cm, body fat % last time I checked was 33 and I am probably lightly active as I do work at a desk job, but I go to the gym 4 times a week.

This is my first post on MFP and everyone is so lovely and helpful :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    simple,. eat more than 1200.

its not a magic number.

Go to ; in place of a road map and follow that. worked for me! I lose on 1800 :))
    In case the OP doesn't know what the above poster is talking about, here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You're 22 years old with 15 lbs you'd like to lose (though it may not be a reasonable weight for you)... you definitely should eat more than 1200 calories per day.

EDIT: you could just set your MFP goal to lose 1/2 lb per week... that will give you a more reasonable deficit for your goal.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't often enough starting out. Try making healthier choices and eating until you feel satisfied. Plus, if you exercise you get to eat back those calories! :) Everyone has a different metabolic rate, therefore some people need more than 1200 calories to keep moving throughout the day. I wouldn't worry so much about the number. Just find what works for you!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the other posters, but also want to add that you could have 10 - 22 year olds with 15 pounds to lose that are all the same height and each could have success 10 different ways losing that weight /getting fitter...

So what worked for my last 15 pounds was setting my lifestyle to sedentary, and never going below the calories before exercise, and eating a different amount of the "exercise calories". A lot of us wear a fitbit or Nike fuel band or pedometer all day long and record the calories burned as our exercise. Not perfect, but it gives you a idea of what you are really burning all day long.

Also, if you set your goal to 1/2 a pound a week today, that means you would be at goal at or before the Start of June-ish 2013... Enjoy the journey!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To be honest I was trying to stay under 1200 calories. Let me tell you it doesn't work.Starting last week I eat 1200 calories now and my first weigh in I lost 4.2 lbs. I added exercise to the mix and that is what I needed. Under 1200 is too low. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you. If you simply cannot manage on 1,200 then don't, the last thing you want to do is think you can't do it. Up your calories and see how it goes :)