Snacks

Options
I am trying to shed my winter / unemployment weight and I am looking for some low calorie, healthy snacks. Also it would be helpful if they were cheap. I am unemployed and on a strict grocerie spending. I seem to get hungry between lunch and dinner but from tracking my food I am making bad choices. It also doesnt help that I sit home most days and when I get bored I am drawn to the kitchen. haha :)

All suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    obviously fruits & veggies w/ low cal dips or seasoning but my fave is air popped popcorn!
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Well, any food with high fiber will keep you fuller for longer. So apples, broccoli (buy frozen, it's cheaper), cereal (buy store brand, and not the sugary kind). Also drink lots and lots of water. Keep at water bottle with you at all times. If you have some free time, go outside, get some exercise and it will help too! :)
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like string cheese, sugar free jell-o, and triscuit or wheat thins with either peanut butter or laughing cow cheese depends on if I wants something kind of sweet or salty.
  • xfluffyfrogx
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas I need to get out of the junk food frame of mind and into the healthy. Never thought of cereal as a snack but its a very good idea.
  • badgirllaughing
    badgirllaughing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks are fruit, yogurt, kashi bars, almonds (but remember they are very high in calories so make sure to eat just a little), celery with peanut butter, fruit cups, carrots, fruit to dip in yogurt (ie strawberries, apples, grapes), berry shake, blueberries in skim milk, just a few off the top of my head.. hope that helps.. good luck in your journey
  • My45Chelle
    Options
    When I was unemployed 2 years ago, I had the same problem. I got myself on a schedule: exercise in the AM, job hunt after lunch and then reading or television in the evening. I didn't feel so bored and with all the food in the house calling your name, ugh, it can be too much stress(another reason to eat). I walked to the library, the grocery and began to ride my bike. I spent a lot of time at the library, good free stuff doesn't hurt either. Stay positive and don't give up!!
  • AProkop
    AProkop Posts: 7
    Options
    Carrot sticks and hummus, if you portion it out about 8-10 snacks for about 4-6$ (cheaper if you peel and cut the carrots yourself). Or wheat thins and laughing cow cheese, about 8 snacks for roughly 5-7$.
    I really like some of the 100 calorie snacks too. $3.50 for about 6 snacks.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Crab sticks!!!! 4 crab sticks are 65 calories and less than a gram of fat!!!! quite cheap too- satisfies a salt craving! if u get a sweet craving- go for something like melon- a quarter of a medium canteloupe is something like 30 calories? xxx
  • xfluffyfrogx
    Options
    Great ideas everyone THANK YOU!!!!! I have been trying to get myself on a new healthy scheduale. I've been working out in the mornings and then I get bored. The library isnt too far from me maybe a mile. I think I might try walking there or maybe riding my bike. I also think I am going to take a nice walk around the fruits and veggies this week at the store and see what I can get.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    if you wait till half an hour before the supermarket is due to close, they normally have loads of reduced fruit and vegetables! also, buy fruit and vegetables loose and by weight as this tends to be cheaper and you don't end up with 8 apples when you know you'll end up throwing 3 away etc... xxx
  • xfluffyfrogx
    Options
    Thank you for the tip about the store. I knew that near closing the deli reduced the price of pre cut lunch meat I didnt know that about a lot of fruits and veggies.