Got my rmr tested

Options
Calculators put me around 2060 to 2160'ish.
The results of my test today was 2010.
That's pretty damned close. If I go in and set up mfp to lose 1 pound a week, without including exercise, it puts me at 1980 daily which is below my rmr.

My physician said that my rmr is likely lower right now than it should be, due to eating below maintenance for three months straight and recommended I eat at maintenance for a week or so every three months.

My maintenance appears to be around 2600'ish. I figured this out by tracking calories consumed versus weight loss, however I that won't be entirely accurate as weight loss isn't everything I should be looking at.

Long story short....I was surprised the calculators were that close.

Replies

• hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Was your regular physician able to do this, or did you go to a specialty sort of place? I've been wondering how/where to go to have mine tested as well, but didn't know where to start.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Luckily, my regular physician, who is an ex-college athlete and really into fitness as well, so she runs a wellness program out of her office. She actually bought the machine she used from our local hospital.
    When looking into this, I googled "rmr testing" and started digging from there. I found some wellness clinics and sports therapy clinics locally that offered it as well. Some of them even had packages for men and women that test everything, from lipid levels and testosterone levels to rmr and hormone levels, etc.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    When I had my RMR tested, it's actually higher than the calculators - by about 10%. Yay me LOL.

I initially was looking for body fat testing and used this site to locate a Bod Pod: http://www.cosmedusa.com/locator

Our local hospital system had one so I contacted them. I then asked them about RMR testing, and they did it in the same office. So I went in that morning and did Bod Pod testing and RMR testing at the same time.

Because mine was at the hospital system, it was more expensive. $75 for the Bod Pod and $150 for the RMR testing. I plan to do it again next spring.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wonder if your thread will get the same response as those RMR threads were they are really below the equations. I believe this just goes to show that you fit in the 70% of the population these equations work for. Great stuff.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bump for a good test!
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Calculators put me around 2060 to 2160'ish.
    The results of my test today was 2010.
    That's pretty damned close. If I go in and set up mfp to lose 1 pound a week, without including exercise, it puts me at 1980 daily which is below my rmr.

My physician said that my rmr is likely lower right now than it should be, due to eating below maintenance for three months straight and recommended I eat at maintenance for a week or so every three months.

My maintenance appears to be around 2600'ish. I figured this out by tracking calories consumed versus weight loss, however I that won't be entirely accurate as weight loss isn't everything I should be looking at.

Long story short....I was surprised the calculators were that close.

Which online calculator did you use? Plz share the link.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lucky duck! I got mine tested and it came out at 1022. That certainly explained a lot, though!! Now I've upped my exercise dramatically to try to compensate for the lousy metabolism!