Straw that broke the camel's back

Options
Straw that broke the camel's back: What pushed you to lose weight?

Just wondering, Why'd you sign up to MFP?

Replies

• mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My health had been geting worse then one day when walking the kids to school I couldnt breath very well, I have athma and this just made me so sad that even after a 10 min walk I was so unhealthy.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I saw how motivated my friend was, and how well she was doing with going to the gym and eating well. I thought, "Well if she can do it, I can do it." I want to be healthy, strong, and just feel better about myself.
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    health reason's .... the main point that sticks out to me was looking at the pic on my profile and thinking to myself thats discusting!
  • annas3911
    Options
    I got weighed at the doctors as part of a routine check up - told him I weighed 60kg and I actually weigh 66.5kg! It was a shock - want to get those extra kgs off to be at my happy weight again!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    My mom has loads of obesity-related health problems at just 51 (heart disease, strokes, breathing problems, the lot) and I just don't want to end up like that as well.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I slipped a disc in my back. Never felt that much pain in my life and was rendered helpless for 3 weeks. Doctor said walking and other gentle exercise would help, so I started that, and then thought it would probably do my back a huge favour to finally lose that weight as well. Even now every time I feel a twinge I'm terrified of it happening again.
  • 1917Ashley
    1917Ashley Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My jean size--I was at the highest size that my favorite store for jeans carried.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    For starters health issues and one of the most imporant ones. Tied for 1st is being around for my son. Last is my son telling me that if I wanted to get married I needed to lose weight. :smile: Gotta love my kid's brutal honesty.:heart: But he wasn't telling me anything I didn't already know.

So here I am trying to get my act together. I want to make sure that I'm around for him. Meeting someone and getting married would be a bonus. :happy:
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    I was ashamed of seeing myself without a shirt on and it almost got to the point that even with a shirt on I was feeling down on myself.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    32 and Gout didn't work for my busy lifestyle with two kids and a wife.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    For me it was a build up and a snap. I was getting sick more often, my knees and hips hurt all the time, I got sciatica from walking up the stairs and tweaking my left hip - I was having to crawl up the stairs to get to my bed room. At a dr visit with an ENT for my 8th sinus infection in a year, my blood pressure was high. It had never been high. He checked it three times, all three times - still high.

But that didn't even do it... what did it was vanity. My cousin-in-law married his longtime girl friend in October a year ago. I had bought a dress from the fall collection of Lane Bryant that December (a 90 dress for 30 bucks). When I went to try it on, I couldn't get it zipped. Spanx w/a minimizer bra and I could get into it. I said, that's enough - the dress was a 22 and too tight! That night, we went out to dinner at a nice Mexican place.

The next day, I found MFP. I had already lost 15lbs by their wedding and the dress fit.

Now, I don't even feel the need to wear spanx and I wear dresses and skirts at least once a week.
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Diabetes
  • PlaysLikeAGirl
    PlaysLikeAGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture that my boyfriend had taken during a hike, and I looked so squishy and squat. Ick.
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    My husband booked a cruise for us, with 3 other couples. I didn't want to be the "FAT" chick! I also am going to be celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary in May and I want to be able to put my wedding dress on...that is just a personal goal!
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I was almost 400 pounds and hated myself, but did nothing about it. I had resigned to the fact I was going to be 400 pounds and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I bought larger clothes and just kept eating. I had Yo Yo dieted all my life and figured I just did not have the will power to do it.

One day my dad calls up and tells me that I am going to start walking with him since he is diabetic (and thin I might add) and needs to walk. I found out later that his real reason was me. He was worried about me. I was having boat loads of health issues and was probably headed to death.

Once the weight started coming off it was like a jump start. Through the Lord and MFP I have lost a lot of weight. I plan to keep going since it has been easier then I thought!

I am tired of the shame and jokes and the simple fact I could not do anything but eat and sit in a chair, but praise the Lord he is setting me free and I am aiming for 150 pounds in the next 2 years.
  • Tujuannaevans
    Options
    Two things: 1.I was visiting my grandchildren in Texas and I met my granddaughter at the school bus stop to surprise her, and she was excited to see me standing there when the bus pulled up. One of the kids laughed at her excitement to see me and said yes, she is here but she is fat! 2. MFP teaches us that part of our journey is to be open to complete accountability to someone else for what we are doing to our bodies. People have such trouble with being accountable for their behavior, so this humbles us and helps us to reach our goals hopefully!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    A picture. It was taken in May and of course I was sitting next to two skinny friends and I looked like I could easily crush them both. I started running after this, but no changes to my diet. I started eating better and tracking calories in August after my 28th birthday. I realized I didn't want to completely waste my 20s being overweight. That was enough motivation for me. 22 lbs lost and 8 lbs to goal!
  • CanadaLiz
    CanadaLiz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This time??

It was November 8th. I pulled out my dress uniform for work to make sure everything was there (I was planning on attending a Remembrance Day Ceremony the next day). I knew it would be snug but figured I would be able to make due. It didn't fit....not even a little. That was it for me. Signed up for the south beach diet the next day - then discovered MFP and made the switch the next week. Already down 12 lbs since November 9th....28 to go.
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    Joked about losing weight when the challenge was 'big' enough.

My sister encouraged me to log my calories one day, 'just because'.

I think it was the 26th August last year.

The totals made my eyeballs pop out and that was a day that I thought wasn't 'that bad.

Things have changed a lot since then!
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My other half told me I was unattractive - it broke my heart