To listen to my trainer or not to listen to my trainer....

Options
That is the question.

So I've been seeing a trainer at my gym for the past few weeks. When we met he asked me what my goals were and I told him, "I want a tight tummy and a big strong *kitten*.....strong legs and arms and back would be nice too....I'm getting married in the spring"

I also informed him that I used to weigh 50+ pounds more 5 years ago and have been keeping it off on VLCD (1200 and often not eating cals back} and cardio. I am tired of VLCD and want to be strong, sexy and healthy.

The plan originally was to increase my daily calories to 1500, increase 200-300 on heavy lifting days, lift 3 times a week and if I wanted to do cardio I could. Macro goals were about 40/30/30. My BF% was done based on weight and tape measurements - you can look at my profile for all of those stats -

Its been a few weeks. I've done pretty damn well with the food and have done the workouts to a T. My deadlifts started at 70lbs and now I am up to 95lb 3 sets 10, goblet squats increased 15 lbs, lat row increased 10lbs, squats increased by 25.....etc... in about 3 weeks. My weight has stayed the same, my body feels firmer, I thought I was doing well.

My trainer says that he "wants to see the scale move more. I suggest decreasing non workout day cals by 200 and not eating back more than 200 on workout days. Lets focus on lowering your BF% first with a goal of losing 1lb/week for the next 6 or so weeks"

I asked about TDEE -also on my profile- and decreasing by a % so I wouldn't have to increase/decrease so much and change it daily. he said "Stick with 1300-1500, keep the macros the same"

Thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would stick with your original plan, especially if it you haven't been doing this routine very long. Also, if your focus is strength and cutting fat, than 1700 calories is a good target. This puts you in the range where almost every single women I have run numbers for. Cutting calories back to 1300 will just hurt your strength gains and could prevent fat loss. BTW, I ran your numbers in your profile and 1700 calories daily is a good target.
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. When he told me 1300 I was like...isn't that what I told you I was trying to get away from?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    With the workouts you're doing, I think cutting calories is a very idea. Trainers might know how to plan an exercise routine, but unless he's a registered dietitian, I really wouldn't take his diet/nutrition advice very seriously.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just stop weighing!

i have been at maintenance for a year (stayed within the same 3ish lbs) but since i started doing a decent strenght routine in the last 6 weeks i am definitely losing bodyfat and getting smaller.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What exactly is the problem? Do you simply want to be eating more, or are you unhappy with your progress so far?
  • Shaybug
    Options
    Also, when he says 1300-1500 that is gross/total cals not net.

My personal goal this week is to not weigh, and eat TDEE-15% and kick *kitten* at the gym.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    My trainer NEVER told me how many calories I should or shouldn't be eating - he would just look at my food diary and let me know what was good and made better choice suggestions for what was not so good.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My trainer says that he "wants to see the scale move more. I suggest decreasing non workout day cals by 200 and not eating back more than 200 on workout days. Lets focus on lowering your BF% first with a goal of losing 1lb/week for the next 6 or so weeks"

[snip]

Thoughts?

The hell?! You're already tiny, and my first impression is that your goal weigh is probably too low for someone who wants muscle. Even so, being within 5-10 pounds of your goal weight, losing one pound a week is an overly ambitious goal.

Personally, I'd ignore the scale all together at this stage, eat at maintenance, maybe 10% below, lift heavy and enjoy the results.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Listen to the trainer.

No they aren't a dietitian however they can make nutritional recommendations that will fit into the customized workout plans that they design for you.

I would find out if he is just certified or if he has a degree in Exercise Physiology. The education they get is entirely different. Besides, it isn't like he is putting you on a 500 calorie diet or anything. With the 1300-1500 you should be able to eat all day long and the one pound per week is a reasonable amount of weight loss.

After the 6 weeks he will probably change it again. Just saying, if you aren't going to listen to him why are you paying him.
  • Shaybug
    Options
    What exactly is the problem? Do you simply want to be eating more, or are you unhappy with your progress so far?

I thought I was doing great by lifting heavier with each work out and not gaining weight even though I was eating 300-700 calories more than I have in 5 years.

Total of 1300 calories feels like he never listened to my history or goals. If I lose a pound a week for 8 weeks that puts me at 5'4" and 112 pounds. How can I increase my strength by doing that?

I know how to lose weight with low calorie intake- that isn't my goal.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options

"I want a tight tummy and a big strong *kitten*.....strong legs and arms and back would be nice too....I'm getting married in the spring"

That is the goal you gave him - so why does he care what is on the scale?? Your wedding is in spring, surely you would be better working on exactly what your goal stated becoming strong. If you need to do a slight cut closer to the wedding to drop some cals, sure, but you can't get strong if you keep dropping your cals lower and lower.

I would ditch the scales and go with measurements.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My trainer constantly reinforces NOT looking at the scale. In my profile pics, you can see what I mean. I weigh within 3 pounds of what I did this time last year, yet I am 10 percentage points lower in body fat. I gained some weight overall, but it turns out, I gained muscle and lost fat. Just looking at the scale tells me I'm doing it wrong. Looking at my body composition and the muscle I've developed sings a completely different tune.

My trainer does agree with yours that on days I'm not exercising, I shouldn't eat as much. But he's mostly saying that I shouldn't eat as many carbs. Ask your trainer to start focusing on body fat and endurance, and less on monitoring the number on your scale.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I thought I was doing great by lifting heavier with each work out and not gaining weight even though I was eating 300-700 calories more than I have in 5 years.

Total of 1300 calories feels like he never listened to my history or goals. If I lose a pound a week for 8 weeks that puts me at 5'4" and 112 pounds. How can I increase my strength by doing that?

You will increase it and gain the strength you are looking for, he is only trying to decrease your body fat for the next 6 weeks so you can gain the muscle tone you are looking for.

It is only 6-8 pounds of fat. Trust him. Do what he says for the next 6 weeks and if it doesn't work and you don't get results then challenge him. But right now, you should trust him. You gave him goals for your body, you might have to shave off that last 6 pounds of fat to get you where you ultimately want to be when you walk down the isle.
  • Shaybug
    Options

[snip]

Thoughts?

The hell?! You're already tiny, and my first impression is that your goal weigh is probably too low for someone who wants muscle. Even so, being within 5-10 pounds of your goal weight, losing one pound a week is an overly ambitious goal.

Personally, I'd ignore the scale all together at this stage, eat at maintenance, maybe 10% below, lift heavy and enjoy the results.

Thank you.
    I don't mind my weight, he has my weight goal set that low "to achieve the look" as he says. I just want to get stronger and look good regardless of the scale. I'm tired of the scale determining my day.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to the diet/food advice. He's not registered in that at all, he's paid to help train you. Yes, he can give you advice, but that's all it is. If I'm honest, it's pretty ****ty advice to tell you 1300-1500 total calories (not even net) when you specifically said you were trying to get away from that!

As you haven't got much to lose, and you're focusing on the lifting. I would forget about the scale personally and keep doing what you were doing before. Sounds like you made some great progress in lifting! How was your progress in your body (I don't mean the scale, I mean inch loss, muscle etc etc) If you are happy with that, why change?

Just my opinion anyway, I don't think there's any need to be eating that low amount :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Strength is not related to weight. Muscle mass is more directly linked to weight, but strength is not (to a certain point).

If I had to guess, I'd go with either:
    A) he's putting too much emphasis on the "tight tummy" goal.
    B) he's lumped you in with most of his other female clients whose primary goals are weight loss/smaller measurements.

Unless you have reason to believe he doesn't know anything, I'd go back to him and be clear that you're not especially concerned with body weight goals, so you don't care what the scale says. See what his response is. At the end of the day, losing body fat is almost always a part of everyone's goals... and he has you doing that: losing weight + heavy lifting + protein.

The other option is to have him ONLY deal with the workout side of things, and you handle the nutrition. IMO, things get really hard when we go to someone who is supposed to be an expert, but we have the attitude that we know more than they do. Yes, it's good to question and have some common sense, but you also have to trust the people you pay/hire to know more than you.

Just my $.02
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I think going down in calories is a bad idea. If you really want to add strength, you need that nutrition to power your body. Food is fuel!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It could go either way. If he's trying to cut BF% then fine, but you're not gonna build any muscle on a caloric deficit - you probably won't lose much if your lifting a lot but you'll lose some, so if you're trying to 'shape up' as it were then you might want to discuss a more moderate calorie intake with your trainer.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I would stick with your original plan, especially if it you haven't been doing this routine very long. Also, if your focus is strength and cutting fat, than 1700 calories is a good target. This puts you in the range where almost every single women I have run numbers for. Cutting calories back to 1300 will just hurt your strength gains and could prevent fat loss. BTW, I ran your numbers in your profile and 1700 calories daily is a good target.
    1700 net or 1700 a day gross?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Your stats sound exactly like mine (except I'm 5'6"). I'm eating 1900 cals/day regardless of if I'm lifting, running, kickboxing, or resting. My goal is also to gain muscle and be strong. I think you should stick with your plan and you'll eventually get the results you're looking for.