Straw that broke the camel's back

Options

Replies

• louised88
    Options
    The situation that finally gave the "push" I needed to start losing weight was humiliating. I went out to the bar for my 26th Birthday, and for the first time in my life, I was insulted about my looks by strangers. I was waiting to have my order taken by the bartender, and a young man behind me told his friend, "This is useless we need to find a new spot--she is never going to get a drink on because she is fat and ugly." The friend in return replied, "Dude, I'm pretty she can hear you." .... He was right, I definitely could hear them! The second occurrence was about 30 minutes later. I was walking to the bar's restroom and there were two (different) guys leaning against the wall on the way there. As I walked by, one yelled out, "Don't worry, it's what is on the inside that counts!"
    I had NEVER been insulted like this in my life...let alone twice in one night. That's when I knew I had let it go too far. Honestly, I should thank them for giving me the final motivation I needed to change my life. It's been 6 weeks and I am losing weight (10lb so far). I feel better, healthier, stronger, and more energized already; my confidence is going up, and I am teaching what I am learning to others around me. I'm dedicated to making a lifestyle change--and I am so damn proud of myself!

Your tone is so positive, and you sound so motivated - and that's what I'm taking from this post. Well done!

BUT! God, I want to punch some people in the face until I'm weak with exhaustion. What is WRONG with people?

I'll hold their arms for you. The amount of abuse I've had shouted at me in the street. . . . It's as bad as the weird aggressive sexual 'compliments' for ruining my mood.

Unfortunately there are immature, rude people in the world. I had been blaming my confidence and appearance problems on a haircut (that sounds ridiculous, but true). I finally realized that it didn't matter how much or how little hair I had, I am still overweight and I'm the only one that can change that. Thank you for the support!

You're welcome! No matter how fat or skinny or whatever someone's wearing; walking down the street is not an invitation or an excuse to shout uninvited comments at them. If I'm in a relatively safe space, I've taken to confronting them, it's completely unacceptable.

Good luck with your weight loss!
  • Angela9559
    Angela9559 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Straw that broke the camel's back: What pushed you to lose weight?

Saw the picture of me riding a camel on vacation - thats when I started my lifestyle change to lose the extra weight
  • Jme03
    Jme03 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My husband & I went hiking up chimney rock in NC. It is a LOT of stairs, but I had done it in high school so I didn't think it would be a problem. We only made it half way up before I felt dizzy & light headed. Not only did we not make it to the top, but we took the handicap elevator down.

We vowed that next September we will try again.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    To get rid of PCOS
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    In Feb 2012 a photo from a friend 40th birthday celebration, posted on Facebook - Me and all my skinny little friends - They could all have hidden behind me I was so big. a couple of very depressing months later (the weight had not changed but then neither had the eating lol) and another friend mentioned he was having great success with MFP. On the 23rd May 2012 I logged in and have not looked back.
    I will be using that Facebook photo in my final Success story :)
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i was very unhappy with how i looked...and i wanted to change that!!! not to mention how out of shape i was omg!! i feel better now i have more energy....im not quite happy just yet but i think that now is more mental than physical
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My genetic form of diabetes (inherited from my dad, he got it from his dad) means my blood sugar is ALWAYS elevated, both my dad and grandfather died very suddenly with massive heart attacks, both fairly young (grandfather 65 and dad 67) so I reckon now is the time to be as healthy as I can be! Joined here three months ago, loving the support and encouragement!
  • Honey_bearz
    Options
    I've wanted to do it for ages, but I moved out of parents house and there is a really posh gym next to my new workplace so I guess now because it was finally convenient. I'm just that lazy.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor because I was having chest pain only when eating, and was diagnosed with acid reflux. He prescribed Nexiumm, and talked to me about dietary changes I could make. I walked out of there and decided it was time to change my life. It seemed ridiculous to take medicine for something that I could control on my own. I also knew that at 42 years old and 338 pounds it was only a matter of time before it became medicine for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Funny how such a small event can change your whole life
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My wife got on a fitness kick about a year ago. She was doing amazing and got me thinking about it, but I didn't actually do anything about it. The actual straw was walking by the mirror one day prior to a shower and looking at myself honestly. I didn't like what I saw, so I went to her to put me on track.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I looked at a picture and realized that for the first time in my life I was the fat bridesmaid!
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I want to get back horse riding again.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It was either this or buy new pants.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with weight for my entire life. There have so many "straw moments' that's I couldn't name them all. I found several of them here in this topic. I have been backsliding as of late and needed to read this today. May not be a straw moment today but definitely the kick in the *kitten* that was needed. Thank you all for sharing your stories.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I was looking on my profile online for my Doctors office, as I was expecting test results in. And right on top of the page it said "overweight" I honestly had NO idea I was overweight. I almost cried, but instead, I joined MFP immediately!!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had lost weight before due to a fatty liver. After that had been corrected, I gained all 80 lbs back! I went back to the doc and had the same problem again, but it wasn't affecting my liver function this time. I wasn't as worried, but was still slowly gaining weight and realized that I was going to make things very bad for myself if I kept going. I started watching what I ate and exercising a little, but stalled at about 20 lbs. That was in July. I was looking for a boost, decided to search fitness apps for my phone, and decided to give MFP a try, and have been using it ever since! :)
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The first time, my hubby and I were talking about how we want to live life and not just work, eat, sleep and watch TV like so many people. He wanted to start pilot lessons and I talked about how I always wanted to take scuba lessons, but money is tight and wetsuits are tighter! He asked how much I wanted to lose and I said 70 would get me to a healthy weight. Then he suggested that I make that a reward, if I could get to a healthy weight I could get my C-card. I started the next day! lol

Well, long story short, I got very close to my goal, hit a plateau, gave up and gained 45 back. Lost 20 last spring during a Biggest Loser style contest in town (won it!), then gave up again and maintained all summer. Early October I realized that I might (it's a big might still) be able to go on a cruise in February and I DON'T want to be the chubby one! I'd like to wear shorts and feel comfortable in a swimming suit. So, I'm seeing how close I can get to my goal by then. ^_^
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have gone through two pregnancies and lost all the weight back down to my normal size of about 140 (I am 5'6). Then I decided to get the Depo shot for birth control in 2005 and gained a whopping 40 pounds in one year. I stopped getting the shot and my weight just continued to climb higher and higher as the years went by. Every year I hit an all time high, my body just hasn't been the same since I had the series of shots. Not only is it extremely difficult to lose weight but it packs on so easily. I had always been very lean my whole life, even after having the kids. So my newest all time high was 220 which is 30 pounds more than I weighed at my heaviest during pregnancy. But the straw that broke the camel's back was a picture taken of me and my boyfriend casually sitting on the back porch. I looked enormous! Especially next to him, he is in pretty good shape. I knew I was slowly gaining weight, I knew I was fat. But seeing that picture it just looked way worse than the image I had in my head. I am now down to 215.4 as of this morning so I am on my way!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Seeing the highest # on the scale ever...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Straw that broke the camel's back: What pushed you to lose weight?

Just wondering, Why'd you sign up to MFP?

Getting free t-shirts that didn't fit, not fitting into a chair, and seeing the link to MFP posted by a friend on Facebook