VitaMix.... Is it worth the cost?

Options
I am just about ready to take the plunge, and purchase a Vitamix.

I haven't gotten 'real' feedback from 'real' people. Just read reviews about the product. I've checked out the Blend Tek, VitaMix, HealthMaster and the Nija. From the reviews that I have read, the Blend Teck and the Vitimix are the 'best' choices.

I'm considering purchasing their most expensive one, that Costco is now demonstrating. It has variable speeds, pulse action and has 3 presets. I have a juicer, and it uses WAY too much food, the waste is amazing. I like the idea of the vitamix because you can throw just about anything in there, and it comes out smooth...no seeds remaining from strawberries or raspberries.

Now I ask you...have you tried one? Used one? Any of them? Opinions? Recommendations?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I'm a chef and have used one for years and I have one for my home as well and if your budget can take the hit, I would recommend one.
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Best investment I've ever mad I use every singel day .
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    We have the Ninja, works well, but I'm not super-picky about my drinks. My wife is pretty picky and seems to like it.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    We have the Ninja, works well, but I'm not super-picky about my drinks. My wife is pretty picky and seems to like it.

Love the ninja, i have the prep model.dual and trip blade setup seems to kick *kitten* compared to a bottom mount blade.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes! My parents bought mine when I was 13 and I went from being a husky to skinny kid thanks to all the smoothies I made. I'm 25 now and luckily my parents gave it to me...it still works great. I make smoothies, nut butters, raw desserts, soup, etc. with it all the time. It doesn't totally replace a food processor, but almost.

Motor and everything still works great, after 12 years it only needs a new blade (thanks to an unfortunate incident where my mom attempted to blend a fork...)
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Love my Vitamix also look for blenditandmendit on youtube for great recipes. http://www.youtube.com/user/blenditandMendit
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ahh my dream blender is a VitaMix! We have a Ninja right now which we bought last year at around Christmas time. It came with a large and small blender. The small one randomly stopped working. We didn't send it in for replacement because it would've cost too much out of our pocket to ship it to the company. The big one is working okay for now but my hubby is not a fan of how it doesn't seem to get all the ice chunks broken up. We're in the market for a new blender...one day I'll have my VitaMix. ONE DAY! Lol.
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the input. I really appreciate hearing your experiences.

Would it matter if I got the one with the programmed buttons...or will the 5200 be just fine? The 6200 has all the features of the 5200, but it also includes 3 pre--programmed buttons, so you can walk away, if needed. It costs about $120 more...so I really would like to know if it would be worth the extra cash.

I plan on making smoothies mostly with it...and am really lookkng forward to the way it tears through all fruits and vege's. :) Since I don't do much right now with a blender...with the cookbook and all...I am sure I will use it for more that just that.
  • thejess
    thejess Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i never thought i would love an object as much as i love my vitamix! crazy but true.

it blends everything perfectly making it much easier for me to add greens to my smoothies. peanut butter or spreads are super easy and sneaking veggies into ice cream is awesome.

I have the 5200 and i love it - nothing fancy just the basic dials. the only time i ever have to walk away from it is when making soups since it needs to blend for a couple minutes to get hot.

hands down best purchase i've ever made!
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Vitamix all the way. I own one - it has all the power and longevity. I have an older model that does not have variable speed - I've been longing for the variable speed one at Costco but can't pull the trigger. So do it for me! IMHO - the 5200 is exactly what you need - who would walk away from a blender when it's in use - definitely not me! YOu're only asking for trouble! Don't waste $120 for a feature you're not going to use.
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    Okay, so the 5200 will keep me happy. The next question is...is it worth purchasing the extra jars for it? They are also selling the 'nut' jar, and another size blender jar? Will I be happy with the one it comes with, or will I want an additional?
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Love, Love, Love my Vitamix. Bought it 7 years ago and I use it all the time. I make Hummus, peanut butter, frozen snacks, salsa, soup weekly.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
    We have had ours for at least 10 years now. Still going strong.
    I use it in the summer to make hot pepper sauce with peppers from out small garden.
    A blend of fresh and frozen strawberries makes a great summer dessert. Add rum and you have the healthiest frozen daiquiri you can make.
    Much better than any juicer because juicers throw away most of the nutrients.
    The Vita-Mix is also so much easier to clean.
    Costco regularly has them on special deals too.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no question yes. It's a monster. Ours is the variable speed. The longer we've had it the more use we've gotten out of it. Nut butters, custom flours like oat flour and brown rice flour, smoothies left and right.

We made a seafood gumbo a little while back and I saved the crustacean exoskeletons, dried them in an oven, and then reduced them to a very fine powder which I use from time to time as a fiber/chitosan supplement.
  • ZombieFoodSlayer
    Options
    yes, I use mine to make green smoothies...best investment ever!! go for it!!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you like smoothies--Definitely. It can turn almost anything into a lovely smoothie. Ours lives on the counter during the summer...I make green smoothies, hubby makes frappucino-style iced coffee beverages. May have paid for it just with the money we save from coffee places. Haha. In the winter when it's cold, we don't use it as much...but it is GREAT when it is warm outside. There are tons of other uses for it too.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'd get a second cannister - just so you don't have to wash the one you have all the time. They are a bit pricey ~ $40 amazon - I love their new compact size .... SO JEALOUS! GO buy it today!
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh, is there any really sweeter sound than the whir (okay maybe the jet engine turbo charging) sound of a Vitamix, I don't think so. I heart my Vitamix. I have both the large and small container and find myself using the shorted on the most because it is just me and my daughter and it fits under my cupboard on my counter top with the small blender container.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Okay, so the 5200 will keep me happy. The next question is...is it worth purchasing the extra jars for it? They are also selling the 'nut' jar, and another size blender jar? Will I be happy with the one it comes with, or will I want an additional?

If they are selling separately you could just wait? I wouldn't worry too much about all the extras...mine has no fancy extras (well variable speed may have been at the time) but I really don't miss anything or wish I had anything else. I just have the one giant canister which I find easy to clean.
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    I'm back...and I bought the VitaMix 5200. Thanks for all your input. I am currently sipping on a smoothie that had frozen organic blueberries, and a frozen fruit mix from Dole that had peaches, Mangos, Strawberries and pineapple. I added water so that it would actually get smooth, instead of creating a frozen snack, then for grins I added a bit of raspberry vodka. :) Smooth!

Any recipes for your favorite smoothies? I'm open for business!!! (so to speak)