30 Day Shred in 60 days

Options
If you're afraid of the 30 Day Shred but still want to give it a try, come do it with me!

Yesterday I started the 30 Day Shred and would love to have the support of others doing it with me, but I'm a weakling and have decided to make it a 60 day program. I plan on doing the 30DS every other day with yoga on the off days and walking whenever I can. I want a total body workout, but I don't want to be so sore from not taking rest days that I get hurt and/or give up, so I figured 30DS + yoga = total body workout with total body flexibility.

I'm starting with 2 lb/0.9 kg dumbbells (like I said, a weakling) but I also have 3 lb/1.4 kg and 5 lb/2.3 kg dumbells and will try to increase the weight for the last few days of each level. I am using the All-in Yoga program to create my own workouts (available in the Mac App store and on iPhones, I don't know where else) and I'll build beginning/intermediate/advanced routines to go with the 30DS levels.

Even if you want a real rest day, hate yoga, or would like to do something else between the 30DS sessions, please join me in making it through this program!

Replies

• fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I would like to follow your progress -- not sure I can do 30DS though. It flared up my back something awful last time. I will take a look at the yoga though. Maybe I can try that along with you.

I really like how you are breaking this down so far...sounds smart.

Edit: You can find the app here, too: http://www.dailyyoga.com/
    I don't have a smartphone, so will have to pass on this. Bummer!
  • costa_cristiana
    costa_cristiana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi agrotberg, I am with you! Today was my day 3 of DS but I am also at the final stages of a running program, and being so sore from DS is not helping with that.... Today I didn't manage to finish my run because my legs were so tired! I think I'll do the run in the morning and the 30 day shred when I get home, on the same day (like i did today), every other day. The other days will be real rest days for me!

Looking forward to seeing some results! I've weighted myself and took measurements on day 1 and intend to do again before moving up levels.
  • tcfuller09
    Options
    I'm on day 3 as well today. This is round 2 for me with this program. Learned my lesson from round 1 and will be shredding every other day like you, after shredding my knees on round 1. I've had this account for awhile but thought it may help me with 30ds round two, considering the intense love/hate relationship I have with this program Haha. Good luck to everyone starting or restarting this program!!!!! The results are worth the sweat, tears and the occasional not so nice things I've yelled at the tv. :)
  • leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have started the 30 day I am on did day 2 today , not sure if I will be able to do it everyday or not either so far it is ok but we will see. I might have to do rest days also. My question to you all is when you do the program do you stay at the same level the full 30 days or do you progress during the challenge?
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of doing the 30DS in 60 days. I've gotta admit after day 10 I was getting pretty bored with 30DS. Even after I moved up to level 2. It was "fun" again for a couple of days then...blah... Adding in yoga or other cardio every other day is a great plan. Good luck! I did find that taking before pics was a great motivator to do my workouts on the days I wasn't feeling up to it. I wanted to see some results in my pics at the end of 30DS.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have started the 30 day I am on did day 2 today , not sure if I will be able to do it everyday or not either so far it is ok but we will see. I might have to do rest days also. My question to you all is when you do the program do you stay at the same level the full 30 days or do you progress during the challenge?

I say stay on level 1 until you are either able to do every move without the modified version OR you are bored out of your mind and need a change. I moved up to level 2 for a week cuz I got bored then moved back to level one after a couple of days. Now I do which ever one I feel up to that day. Haven't ventured into level 3 yet...
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would like to follow your progress -- not sure I can do 30DS though. It flared up my back something awful last time. I will take a look at the yoga though. Maybe I can try that along with you.

I really like how you are breaking this down so far...sounds smart.

Edit: You can find the app here, too: http://www.dailyyoga.com/
    I don't have a smartphone, so will have to pass on this. Bummer!

I'd be delighted to have a yoga buddy too! Have you looked at some of the yoga videos available on YouTube? Your public library probably has a few too if you want to try a few for free before committing to anything.
  • leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I say stay on level 1 until you are either able to do every move without the modified version OR you are bored out of your mind and need a change. I moved up to level 2 for a week cuz I got bored then moved back to level one after a couple of days. Now I do which ever one I feel up to that day. Haven't ventured into level 3 yet...

Thank You!
  • parmoute
    Options
    costa_cristia -- That sounds like a great idea! I'm going to start running in January and want to use the 30DS to strengthen up for it.

tcfuller09 -- Great to have you along: you can coach us newbies through it! Any recommendations on when to increase the amount of weights throughout the program?

leanveins -- I had planned on spending 10 days on each level but I may give myself longer if I feel like I'm not ready to advance to the next one. Let us know how you're doing and if you end up needing a break, we totally understand -- I don't think I'd survive without a lot of them!
  • parmoute
    Options
    I like the idea of doing the 30DS in 60 days. I've gotta admit after day 10 I was getting pretty bored with 30DS. Even after I moved up to level 2. It was "fun" again for a couple of days then...blah... Adding in yoga or other cardio every other day is a great plan. Good luck! I did find that taking before pics was a great motivator to do my workouts on the days I wasn't feeling up to it. I wanted to see some results in my pics at the end of 30DS.

Pictures would be a great idea, but I have to admit that I have a hard time seeing the progress unless it's really obvious (for example, I have a waist now, whereas I didn't before :smile: ) I might want to do measurements though. I've never done mine (ever, mostly because I don't want to know) and I've heard some people say that even though they didn't lose much weight on the 30 Day Shred, their measurements changed a lot. Maybe I'll suck it up and get a tape measure this evening. Finishing is an accomplishment in and of itself, but it would be nice to know how much the work paid off.
  • tcfuller09
    Options
    Regarding weights: I increased weights when I felt I was ready on that particular level. I think everyone should do what is best for them to prevent crashing and burning from soreness, boredom etc. Example, this round I went straight to level 2 , since my knees were not handling level 1 very well (and I have no previous knee problems). I will go to level three when I'm confident enough: )
    The best thing I did, and encourage everyone to do, is take measuremets! I gained weight both times I started the shred, so the scale is my enemy with this program. In the end I lost 8.75 inches and about 6 lbs (plus lost the weight gained in the beginning).
    One more note, don't get discouraged if you can't finish this the first time you try. I did 6 minutes my first day of round 1. it gets easier and you will feel amazing after 30 days!!!
  • costa_cristiana
    Options
    Tcfuller - that's really interesting about the weight gain, I had lost 3kg since I started running and was so happy about it... Then this morning after 2 days of 30 DS they were back on!!! I was not a happy at all, lol.

Your little girl (I'm assuming it's your daughter) is adorable!
  • tcfuller09
    Options
    Tcfuller - that's really interesting about the weight gain, I had lost 3kg since I started running and was so happy about it... Then this morning after 2 days of 30 DS they were back on!!! I was not a happy at all, lol.

Yes, that is my daughter and thank you!!!! Don't be discouraged (although I'm mad and I knew it would happen Lol). It will come off. After researching I've learned your muscles will store water to help repair/protect them after a new workout. As the soreness goes away so will the added weight. My husband told me not to get on the scale.....and of course I didnt listen Haha.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I bought 30DS to get in shape for my wedding over almost two years ago, finished level 1 and got so busy with the wedding I had to stop. I've done a couple of random days with it since then, and use some of the lift routines in my own lifting at home. I just read a blog post about 30DS though, and want to get back to it. I think I will tonight!
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 as well today. This is round 2 for me with this program. Learned my lesson from round 1 and will be shredding every other day like you, after shredding my knees on round 1. I've had this account for awhile but thought it may help me with 30ds round two, considering the intense love/hate relationship I have with this program Haha. Good luck to everyone starting or restarting this program!!!!! The results are worth the sweat, tears and the occasional not so nice things I've yelled at the tv. :)

Haha I was so mean to Jillian when I was going through this the first time. Good thing she couldn't hear me! It's been one of my fitness dreams to finish 30DS and do Ripped in 30 and maybe Extreme Shed and Shred. I also have her Buns and Thighs video (Thanks, Groupon!) ESS is a b*tch. "You want me to do what now?"
  • costa_cristiana
    Options

Yes, that is my daughter and thank you!!!! Don't be discouraged (although I'm mad and I knew it would happen Lol). It will come off. After researching I've learned your muscles will store water to help repair/protect them after a new workout. As the soreness goes away so will the added weight. My husband told me not to get on the scale.....and of course I didnt listen Haha.

Wow, thanks for the info, I never knew that... I also always promise myself I'll get on the scale once a week but that never happens hahaha. My husband doesn't even listen to my weight loss rants anymore lol.
  • tcfuller09
    Options
    Burcher2 - my husband (who is very mild mannered) would shred with me sometimes and the things he would yell at the tv made me laugh so hard I can't shred with him anymore. Extreme shed and shred sounds interesting. I will look into that for after 30 ds. You should start the shred with us. I'm hoping having a group starting it with me will help me though this round!!!!
  • miffanytiller
    miffanytiller Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Neat idea! A few weeks ago I started something similar (varied what I was doing depending on my schedule that week), but I started with 30DS and alternated with Zumba off/on to have a different pace. I haven't had the chance to get back to the strict routine I had (holidays really mess with my sleep schedule and all that, so still trying to get back to the norm), but I do plan to jump back on the 30 DS bandwagon.

I moved up to Level 2 after a few days on Level 1 to just get a different feel... I couldn't always do all the moves, but I figure that trying is the point, right?

Definitely something I'm going to follow even if I don't participate 100%. Look forward to it!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I increased weights whenever I felt like I had mastered form and the weights had become too easy. It should be somewhat challenging - but I think you'll know it when it's time, too.

Good luck :heart: You're gonna rock it!
  • SherryLohr
    Options
    I am on day 5 of the first level. I am so close to going through the whole thing without stopping! However, I noticed that since I started the program I have gained 3 pounds :( Not very encouraging! I am using 3lb weights with mine. It's those damn push-ups that get me! I am just now getting over the soreness from doing it everyday. OUCH!!