Thoughts: "body will hold onto fat if not eating enough"?

Options
13»

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    It's nonsense, trust your instincts

I will pass this along to my nutritionist. As a person with diabetes and chronic pancreatitis I have been to several nutirionalists and it is this simple. If you eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner and a snack your body will typically burn more knowing it has more nutrients to run the body. If you eat a small snack for breakfast, a snack for lunch and a big dinner your body or you just eat one meal a day your body will store fat to have something to burn to maintain critical functions. This does not mean it will happen if you do this once a week but it is about pattern.

Once again, this affects every person differently.

http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2006/11/quack-word-16-nutritionist.html

BTW, following the example of "nutritionists" everywhere, this morning i declared myself "All Being Master of Time, Space, and Dimension". you are all now my subjects and i expect weekly tithings. contact me by mail for the PO Box where you should send those tithings.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Interesting study. Maybe I missed it, but I wish they would have detailed fat loss vs. LBM loss - would have been an interesting data point.

When you're 400 lbs, it's kind of a moot point.
  • tg2girls
    Options
    LOL, LOL, LOL Good Point!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Find me one case where a person starved to death and left an obese corpse.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    And finally, if it was solely and simply calories in vs calories out, then a 400 pound man could lock himself in a room for a whole year and NEVER eat and come out skinny. This simply DOES NOT happen. Your body still needs food.

Just out of curiousity in case I'm misinterpreting this --- what do you expect to happen in the above scenario, aside from the 400lb man eventually dying due to nutrient deficiencies.

Starvation mode makes you dead
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    and wondered if she had those nice calf muscles from being overweight. Well... yeah!

it is my understanding that nicely muscled calves without training are more a function of genetics over carrying around extra weight.

I could be wrong, but I havn't noticed many overweight people having "nice" calf muscles...unless I guess they are covered in some fat and arent noticeable

calves are very hard to develop
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options

no one is saying that. they are saying that the body burns both fat and muscle. more muscle is burned if no exercise is done. more muscle is burned if a higher deficit is happening. those are all facts discovered through scientific study. if a person truly "starves to death" then the body will use whatever it has to use to burn calories - muscle, fat, organs, etc. you will have less fat but also less muscle, etc. the idea of "holding onto fat" is the idea that higher caloric deficits cause the body to burn everything. lower deficits (closer to TDEE) cause the person to burn a higher percentage of fat rather than muscle. However it takes a LONG time to lose a lot of fat so most people want the quick solution, which is a higher calorie deficit. Then, what ends up happening is people have to rebuild their muscle through body recomposition. these are the bulk/cut cycles that people talk about on here.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can understand that our bodies may lose slower once we've gotten down to a low bodyfat percentage, but I am having a hard time grasping why we'd completely stop losing (for long at least - and yes i understand that lean mass will begin breaking down) if we were in fact, in a calorie deficit.

Metabolism adjusts lower eventually -- got it; but wouldn't we still keep losing only slower?

Yes, you are exactly right. Weight loss will be faster with a faster metabolism. Eating too little can slow metabolism, but since you metabolism only stops when you are dead, if you are alive and eating a calorie deficit you will lose fat. Losing weight could possibly stall or increase slightly if you are at a small deficit, because other things besides fat factor into your weight.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Dying of starvation is not simply dying of lack of calories.

Part of being alive requires a constant intake of certain supplies to keep the body properly functioning. Vitamins and proteins for example.

You simply cannot make these materials out of fat stores.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Part of being alive requires a constant intake of certain supplies to keep the body properly functioning. Vitamins and proteins for example.

Sources?
  • DanaDark
    Options

Sources?

You need a source to understand that the body needs protein?

/facepalm
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Potassium deficiency results in weakness, erratic heart rhythm, and death. Low blood sodium can result in confusion, seizures, erratic heart rhythm. Calcium deficiency results in thinning of the bones. Magnesium deficiency results in heart-rhythm problems. Lack of iron causes anemia. Vitamin deficiencies cause hair loss, inflammations, susceptibility to infection, muscle pain, confusion, and hosts of other problems. People on very low calorie diets are causing damage to their bodies, they just do not always see it until the damage is already done.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Potassium deficiency results in weakness, erratic heart rhythm, and death. Low blood sodium can result in confusion, seizures, erratic heart rhythm. Calcium deficiency results in thinning of the bones. Magnesium deficiency results in heart-rhythm problems. Lack of iron causes anemia. Vitamin deficiencies cause hair loss, inflammations, susceptibility to infection, muscle pain, confusion, and hosts of other problems. People on very low calorie diets are causing damage to their bodies, they just do not always see it until the damage is already done.

Aye. People need to understand that eating is not solely about calorie intake. >.>
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's nonsense, trust your instincts

I will pass this along to my nutritionist. As a person with diabetes and chronic pancreatitis I have been to several nutirionalists and it is this simple. If you eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner and a snack your body will typically burn more knowing it has more nutrients to run the body. If you eat a small snack for breakfast, a snack for lunch and a big dinner your body or you just eat one meal a day your body will store fat to have something to burn to maintain critical functions. This does not mean it will happen if you do this once a week but it is about pattern.

Once again, this affects every person differently.

http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2006/11/quack-word-16-nutritionist.html

BTW, following the example of "nutritionists" everywhere, this morning i declared myself "All Being Master of Time, Space, and Dimension". you are all now my subjects and i expect weekly tithings. contact me by mail for the PO Box where you should send those tithings.

As someone with insulin resistance and an ex-diabetic due to weight loss I can tell you that the reason you were told to eat several times a day has to do with level blood sugars not weight loss or fat storage. I would also recommend that you go see a dietician since nutritionists are as mentioned above quacks.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have posted this elsewhere so it's a copy and paste.....but this has been my experience:

I did a lot of reading and researched the TDEE / BMR numbers, etc. as I had been eating the recommended 1200 cals for months. I did really well at first and lost 7 lbs pretty quickly. then nada.... I couldn't figure out why since I was only eating between 800 - 1200 cals per day net. Doesn't a large deficit equal large weight loss? Not for me...

After spending a lot of time on different websites, and doing different calculators, here is what has worked for me:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I didn't want to base my numbers on exercise that I MIGHT do, even though I'm consistent, so I factored in my TDEE at the Sedentary rate - 15% (I don't have much to lose).

I am 5'5" and currently 135 lbs. My BF is 22.3 % and am 40 years old. I went to the Scooby Workshop website to calculate my calorie needs for the day and use those numbers. If you know your bodyfat % then a more accurate calculation is using the Katch-McArdle formula according to them. These stats give me:

BMR - 1400
    TDEE - 1680 (at Sedentary)
    Calorie Requirements to lose 0.5 lb per week - 1428 (this is at a 15% deficit)

Sooooo, what I did after that is reset my MFP daily goals at 1428 cals per day NET! I eat back ALL of my exercise calories.

The second thing I did was purchase a HRM to accurately guage what I was burning during my workouts. You would be surprised at the discrepancies between estimates! I do an intense bootcamp class 3 x per week and run on my off days. Either a few miles or sprint intervals, depending on how I feel that day. Depending on what we are doing in bootcamp, my burn could be anywhere from 240 cals to 350 cals....WAY under what I thought!!! If I was to eat back what I GUESSED I was burning, then I would be eliminating any deficit I had for the day. Keep in mind that the muscle you're building will burn more calories at rest, and you get a great 'afterburn' from weights that will last for hours after, so even though you're not burning as large of an amount during your workout, the after effects far outweigh doing just straight cardio!!! Heavy lifting is the best thing you can do for your body!! I used to do both on the same day, but have stopped doing that. A little bit of something 6-7 days per week is better than a huge amount of exercise 3-4 days per week. (for me anyway).

The last thing I do is stop stressing and trust the process. I eat whatever I want and try to make sure that it fits into my calories for the WEEK. I eat chocolate every day, and I make sure to save enough calories for an evening snack. It hasn't mattered when I eat, only how much. I try to keep my protein up as much as possible (30%), and let the rest of my macros fall where they may.

I weigh myself every morning, but only log the progress if it's less than the last entry. sometimes there will be 2 weeks of no change, but then all of a sudden there's a 1 lb loss showing on my graph. If I take the total loss and divide it by the amount of weeks, then I AVERAGE a 0.5 lb loss per week.

This method has been easily sustainable for me....slow and steady with zero deprivation!!

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Look up the effects of cortisol on lipid metabolism.

Cortisol is one (of many) stress hormones. When you are on a calorie deficit you are technically dying (as far as you body is concerned) - so it pumps those out like hell.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have posted this elsewhere so it's a copy and paste.....but this has been my experience:

I did a lot of reading and researched the TDEE / BMR numbers, etc. as I had been eating the recommended 1200 cals for months. I did really well at first and lost 7 lbs pretty quickly. then nada.... I couldn't figure out why since I was only eating between 800 - 1200 cals per day net. Doesn't a large deficit equal large weight loss? Not for me...

After spending a lot of time on different websites, and doing different calculators, here is what has worked for me:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I didn't want to base my numbers on exercise that I MIGHT do, even though I'm consistent, so I factored in my TDEE at the Sedentary rate - 15% (I don't have much to lose).

I am 5'5" and currently 135 lbs. My BF is 22.3 % and am 40 years old. I went to the Scooby Workshop website to calculate my calorie needs for the day and use those numbers. If you know your bodyfat % then a more accurate calculation is using the Katch-McArdle formula according to them. These stats give me:

BMR - 1400
    TDEE - 1680 (at Sedentary)
    Calorie Requirements to lose 0.5 lb per week - 1428 (this is at a 15% deficit)

Sooooo, what I did after that is reset my MFP daily goals at 1428 cals per day NET! I eat back ALL of my exercise calories.

The second thing I did was purchase a HRM to accurately guage what I was burning during my workouts. You would be surprised at the discrepancies between estimates! I do an intense bootcamp class 3 x per week and run on my off days. Either a few miles or sprint intervals, depending on how I feel that day. Depending on what we are doing in bootcamp, my burn could be anywhere from 240 cals to 350 cals....WAY under what I thought!!! If I was to eat back what I GUESSED I was burning, then I would be eliminating any deficit I had for the day. Keep in mind that the muscle you're building will burn more calories at rest, and you get a great 'afterburn' from weights that will last for hours after, so even though you're not burning as large of an amount during your workout, the after effects far outweigh doing just straight cardio!!! Heavy lifting is the best thing you can do for your body!! I used to do both on the same day, but have stopped doing that. A little bit of something 6-7 days per week is better than a huge amount of exercise 3-4 days per week. (for me anyway).

The last thing I do is stop stressing and trust the process. I eat whatever I want and try to make sure that it fits into my calories for the WEEK. I eat chocolate every day, and I make sure to save enough calories for an evening snack. It hasn't mattered when I eat, only how much. I try to keep my protein up as much as possible (30%), and let the rest of my macros fall where they may.

I weigh myself every morning, but only log the progress if it's less than the last entry. sometimes there will be 2 weeks of no change, but then all of a sudden there's a 1 lb loss showing on my graph. If I take the total loss and divide it by the amount of weeks, then I AVERAGE a 0.5 lb loss per week.

This method has been easily sustainable for me....slow and steady with zero deprivation!!

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!!

^^ this is what i did too. works really well. getting a lean body and losing fat. minor departure from TDEE. my TDEE is 1900 and I eat 1600-1800 every day. weight loss is slow but that is ok because i am losing mostly fat.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    wow, this one really rolled - i checked the thread before bed last night and not one response! now there's 3 pages... thanks and i will get to reading!