Muscle mass

Options
Quick question about muscle mass. I know that when you begin working out, that the scale is more likely to go up then down at first due to the gain in muscle mass. I'm curious if anyone knows how long it takes to lose that muscle mass. Weird question I know but I've missed a few months of working out intensely and I've still managed to lose weight which has me surprised (hasn't happened before, I've only ever maintained or gained). Now I'm wondering if I'm just losing the muscle mass that I had gained. Thoughts?

Replies

• CarlaJean140down
    CarlaJean140down Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When we first start working out we gain weight due to water retention in the muscles. Working those muscle creates small tears which cause a healing response which involve water retention. after we have been working out for a while we can still have the same type of response when we push ourselves harder. Once we have gone through the work to gain actual muscle mass we do not want to lose it. Muscle mass creates a toned tighter look, it also burns more calories than the adipose tissue we were carrying prior to building muscle mass. As. for how long does it take to lose the retained water from building muscle...it can vary depending on each individual and on the type of workouts you are doing.