Fibromyalgia and Weight Loss

Options
I’m a 33 year old woman who has Fibromyalgia. I know (personally) of one other person who has this and she lives far away. This ailment is a lonely one which leaves me feeling isolated. Sometimes it would be great to talk to someone else who knows what it’s like to have a bad fibro day. I’d be interested in connecting with anyone who also has Fibromyalgia and is trying to balance it while also exercising to lose weight. I figure, that together, we can help one another overcome difficulty in staying fit and losing weight… without too much suffering.

I have recently gained about 35 lbs. which leaves me at about 190 lbs. currently. It is an understatement to say that I am not happy about my weight.

Five years ago, after I had my second child, I was about the same weight that I am now. Back then, I chose to get a prescription for phentermine and lost a lot of weight (40 lbs). However, my hair started to fall out, I got high blood pressure, I was cranky, and here I am back to the same weight. So, I learned my lesson – there are no lasting shortcuts to weight loss. I am committed to doing it right… and I know that means it’s not going to be fast and easy.

Replies

• loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey there, welcome to MFP.

I'm 25 and I've had Fibro since I was 8. I know what you mean about it being lonely - I feel that way even though both my MIL and my GMIL both have it & are close by.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. It's not easy, but you can do this.
  • alisonjj
    Options
    Hey there! fibro is nasty but I honestly believe we mustn't give in to it.I did and ended up 364lbs at one point, waling with a stick and severe lymphoedema too......I like working with weight machines as it helps to stretch out thiose nasty tensed up muscle knots. I have also read on various sites that some fibro sufferes do well if they cut out wheat and maybe dairy. I don't eat wheat and I noticed a difference, but then being a fibro sufferer goes hand in hand with IBS and stomach problems - but much improved if I stay away from bread. Funnily enougn I had a working lunch today where I wasn't in control of the food and ended up eating wheat as it was that or not eat. I have indigenstiion and really bad gas now.....lesson learned!

Wlcome to MFP, I will help and support as much as I can.
  • sculawstudent
    Options
    Hi! I am 26 and was diagnosed with fibro at 13. Not letting it ruin weight loss this time! :)
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I cant speak for myself, but my mother has fibromyalgia.
    She found the best treatment was NO MEDS, because they all had worse side effects. She takes a nap every day for 1 hr (and if she doesnt, she cant function) and, she just started swimming daily at the local pool. She has lost probably 25-35lbs and looks great.
    I know fibro is or can be debilitating and i sympathyse with all who have it.
    Stay strong and show that beast whos boss =)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    fibromyalgia is a nasty disease. After being put on meds for it about 10 yrs ago I gained 40 lbs in 3 mths the dr told me it wasnt because of the meds...Yeah right i switch drs and she said diffinately the meds she never puts woman on that combo because of weight gain...anyway then i slowly stopped exercising ok moving at all and gained more weight then I gave up at one point and started comfort eating so in about 8 yrs I gained over 100 lbs. I have since lost 108 lbs since joining MFP I still have bad days but the pain is not constant like it was before. I feel like I have my life back, well most of the time. feel free to add me , it helps to talk to others that understand this nasty disease
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    most medical doctors will not perform tummy tucks or lipo, or lap band surgery on someone who has fibro; they will recommend you see a medical doctor in the field of weight loss management first; have you tried changing your diet??
  • Butterfly8371
    Options
    Hi, I am 43 years old and have had Fibromyalgia for the last 10 years after giving birth by ceasearean section. It has been a uphill battle and trying to find the right food to take as well as the right exercise has not been easy.
    It is a lonely journey as the illness is invisible to others yet you are aching inside and the fatigue causes one to feel completely helpless to say the least. I have found the Solal products to work and have been on them for approximately 1 year. 5-HTP for Fibromyalgia and fatigue plus the Vitammin D3 55iu. I often found that taking Vitamin D helped a lot even in the earlier stages of the Fibromyalgia. I drink plenty of water and eat in moderation. I am very careful of what I eat. The key is to listen to your body, what it needs. I try not to overdo the exercise and rest when my body is saying enough! I have found it to be a very lonely journey but it has made me a stronger person.:flowerforyou:
  • aedavidson79
    aedavidson79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    most medical doctors will not perform tummy tucks or lipo, or lap band surgery on someone who has fibro; they will recommend you see a medical doctor in the field of weight loss management first; have you tried changing your diet??

I have worked with a nutritionist and I am not planning on having any of those surgeries. As far a changing my diet, my biggest problem is eating at night. I have been working on not eating at least two hours before bed time. Only, there are times that I go to bed much too late, which is another thing I'm working on.