Recover from depression with diet and exercise

Options

Replies

• 6hourwalks
    6hourwalks Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did not say people with severe depression should come off their meds.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I agree, exercise and healthy eating go a long way to fight the symptoms of depression and anxiety. Sometimes it's all we need. For a lot of us this is the prescription that works, and it is side-effect-free!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I did not say people with severe depression should come off their meds.

It's okay. I did not think you meant that. I thought that you agreed with me that diet and exercise are a huge part of staying well and staying out of the hospital.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a similar experience. (Disclaimer: my personal experience; may not apply to others.)

I took antidepressants for 12 years and tried various therapies, but what's made the most difference has been diet, exercise, getting a good night's sleep, trying to keep to a routine (so difficult) and trying, not to just feel better, but to feel better about myself.

When initially I changed my diet, it was as if someone had cracked open a window and let some light in, just a slant, but it was enough to give me hope.

The thing I would compare it to would be the first few months of taking antidepressants for the first time. Except this feels more stable and more long-lasting because it's something I've done by and for myself. Our brains can get used to antidepressants, making them ineffective in the long term. But this is something different.

I'd like to say I'm in recovery now, but I'm very conscious that recovery is not a cure and depression is something I'm always going to carry with me, even if I'm not currently in a depressed state. But I can live that - and I want to be alive.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great thread. To the people who disagree: you are right, diet and exercise may not solve it, but it does help. To the person who said its part of the pie - great point especially about meditation. For me it was spirituality that started my road to healing. You don't have to be a religious person for this to work. AA and many other experts and therapists say that we need to let go/surrender our stress and burdens. Prayer is a way to do this. My health journey was backwards from the original poster. Emotional trauma and clinically diagnosed depression led to physical issues and weight gain. When the emotional issues began to be solved through prayer, therapy, reaching out to friends, an improved mentality and letting go, then weight began to fall off without me even trying. I couldn't bring myself to exercise before, and now it's not even a chore - it's not hard to motivate myself to do. I hope I'm making sense - basically, the emotional growth came first for me, and then the physical improvement followed. I should be clear that the external circumstances in my life have not improved - there are still many painful and unjust things that I'm dealing with - but my internal resilience to be able to deal with crap has improved. I really want to encourage and support other people so please feel free to send me a message or comment.
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    Six months ago I was severely depressed and I could not get out of bed. I was obese and lonely. I thought to myself, what if I was to walk for 6 hours per day instead of sleeping an extra 6 hours during the day. So with this, I got out of bed, and I started to fight. I hired and watch all of the Rocky movies.

On my first walk, I lasted 2 hours and 45 minutes and I was sore and injured. I soon realised that I did not need to train 6 hours per day. So instead, I walked for an hour per day six days per week for six months. I have lost 30 kg and I have recovered from anxiety and depression with diet and exercise after an 18 year battle.

I remain on MFP as I still have a little to lose, but I am here to inspire and help others do what I did.

Your doctor can only do so much for you. It is up to you. It has been shown that a good diet and regular exercise is just as effective to treat mild to moderate depression. So get out of bed and step away from the potato chips.

Start training and recover for life.

Add me if you need help.

Paul.

Depression is my middle name. My only child died 4 days before Christmas in 2010. I simply gave up. I did not care what I looked like... I did not care what I ate...I just did not care. I started running to run away from the pain. I have been running ever since. No therapist, psychiatrist , or medication has helped like running has.
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    wow what an amazing story.. i simply loved it would love to be ur friend!!!!!!!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Eating better and exercising is definitely helpful. I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and I'll always be on my lithium (love my lithium!), but adding an exercise routine has helped.
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Fatguy2Fitguy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling down for a while, has had the opposite effect. My Diet is still reasonable but my exercise has gone to pot! My Dr thinks i suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder rather than full on depression.

You guys are inspiration though, getting outdoors to train may well help, as will spring lol
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yup I agree with everything you said. It is amazing the powers of exercise and a healthy diet. I also found that walking in the mountains healed my soul. There is nothing better than getting out to my church of the earth and sky :) It is my religion.

I recommend a walk in the countryside if anyone is feeling low.

May the goodness last
  • autumn_duo
    autumn_duo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Exercise has definetly helped my depression, but certainly not "cured" it....
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I think people need to differentiate between "diet" (as in calorie deficit) and "diet" (as in nutrition) when it comes to the effectiveness of "diet and exercise" for improving mood and sense of well-being. If I go on a diet that just slashes calories and leaves me feeling deprived, frustrated, and unhappy with my life, can't see how it's going to improve my mood! My dietary changes were very nutrition oriented, incorporating lots of nutrients research indicates can boost mood and combat depression. And I get at least 2 hours of cardio per day, often more. Depression is long gone. Thank goodness.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Congrats on changing your life and future Paul. You look genuinely happy in your pic :)
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My fiance and partner of 12 years died suddenly in April, of a heart attack, he was 25. and I've fallen in and out of depression since then. It gets easier but can also get very hard. I've found having control over my diet has helped me a lot. When I'm good, I feel good. When I fall off the wagon, I feel *kitten*. It's all psychological
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different...

I was first diagnosed with depression when I was 13 years old.
    I was on antidepressants up til april last year when I started exercising/eating healthy and came off the antidepressants but had to go back on them after a year as it got bad again.
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    good post. i needed to see this today.
  • leligrace
    Options
    Hi there!

I was diagnosed with Chronic Depression just last year and my friend told me that if I do some dieting and exercising, it might lessen my depression that tied up with self esteem and self confidence.

I did have insecurity problem for years because I'm overweight and I really don't have a physical beauty. So I took his advise and start dieting and exercise, and somehow that lessen my downtime + with the supportive community of MFP and friends... it is just so good.

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope I can cope up with my Chronic Depression.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise has cured my moderate depression and anxiety. I'm human though. I still get down or anxious at times but no where near the degree that I used to. Exercise is so effective that I'm addicted to it :bigsmile:

Congrats to you for getting up and getting control. Thank you for sharing your story!
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, I had to start dealing with my depression and feelings towards myself BEFORE the diet and the exercise fell into place. Once it did, the two kind of fed off each other and I cannot express the changes that I feel in my mind and body.

However....I don't think that people can fully "recover" from serious, debilitating depression just from diet and exercise alone, but it does make a tremendous difference. I still suffer from anxiety and occasional nightmares and down days, I just have better tools to cope with them now.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    After my pregnancies I suffered with severe depression. Luckily I pushed my 'pride' to the side and took anti-depressants. I feel very fortunate that I no longer have to take them but I know that could always change. A traumatic experience or natural life events such as menopause can cause a chemical reaction that results in depression. For now, a healthy diet & exerise definitely treats my depression and keeps it "away". But I know it will always be there and that diet & exercise may not always be enough to treat it. My point is that we are all unique and that we are also constantly changing. Taking care of your physical health is critical but if it's not treating your depression that doesn't mean you're failing or doing it wrong. Good job to everybody here who is putting their health first! You're beautiful people :)