too big of a calorie deficit?

Options
I'm currently on exchange in Europe for a year, and in the last two months, I've put on weight FAST. Trying to lose the 10 pounds I've gained by using MFP along with regular exercise. My calorie intake is set to 1460 a day, and I exercise about 4 or 5 days a week. I generally don't eat back my exercise calories (leaving me with usually about 400-500 calories left over a day). Is that too big of a calorie def to loose the weight safely, and keep it off?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How fast are you trying to lose it? If your account is set to 2 lbs a week and then you do not eat back exercise calories, yes, it is too aggressive. You would be better off at 1 lb and maybe eating 50% of your exercise calories. Also, make sure you eat enough protein and probably some weight training would be good.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The size of your deficit doesn't have much to do with whether or not you will put the weight back on when the diet is over. The biggest risks you run with a large deficit is muscle loss, because there is a limit to how much stored fat you can oxidize per day, and adherence to the diet.

Rather than trying to calculate what your deficit is, look at your rate of weight loss. If you're losing a pound a week or so, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

The only thing I would caution you against, however, is eating any less than you are now. If you drop calories any lower, you'll probably find it difficult to eat sufficient micronutrients.
  • sarahnc_
    sarahnc_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm currently set to 1 lb a week- trying to lose 10 lbs in two months (the time it took me to gain it...hah)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm currently set to 1 lb a week- trying to lose 10 lbs in two months (the time it took me to gain it...hah)

That sounds reasonable to me, don't get caught up in the supposed size of the deficit, all of those numbers are estimates anyway. As long as you aren't doing something crazy, you don't have much to worry about.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your diary and goals, I would suggest eating 1700 calories. That should give you about 1 lb per week. Most days you are averaging 1400 calories, which might be a little aggressive. You set your goal at 1 lb per week and then you are exercising and burning off another 500 calories, giving you a 1000 calorie deficit which is a bit aggressive for someone looking to lose 10 lbs per week.