Sushi

Options
Just wanting to get other peoples opinion on Sushi. I get told different information depending on who i talk to.
Some people say you cant have it because of the rice where others say its pefectly fine becuase of the good nutrients found in it.
Any opions?

Replies

• boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I get brown rice sushi--but there's no food 'I can't have,' I'm not allergic to anything and I'll eat white rice from time-to-time.
  • Saiava
    Saiava Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sushi is a healthy food item, IMO as long as you watch what kind of sushi you get. Sushi with mayo and tempura probably isn't the best choice if you're trying to avoid some unnecessary fat.

Just watch the calories, make sure you stay under your calorie allowance for the day, and enjoy!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Sushi is fantastic! Fit it into your calories and enjoy.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I dunno anything about the restrictions on sushi but I definitely love sushi & is actually one of my trigger foods. Just go easy on the soy sauce though.
  • isitsororo
    Options
    Avoid the American spins on sushi, American sushi rolls, like the California roll or the junk with cream cheese in it, are unsurprisingly rather unhealthy. Stick to the clean authentic rolls and nigiri. Also avoid the soy sauce soak. Good sushi doesn't need to be hidden with soy sauce anyway.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I love sushi... I will usually have one roll with rice - something fairly hefty like a Dynamite Roll or California Roll and then I'll order tuna sashimi to go with it. I get a huge hit of protein and the filling-ness of the roll. Sometimes I'll get a whole bento box... the ones around my area seem to work out to about 7-800 calories, but I can usually plan for that and fit it in.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Go to Japan and count the number of overweight people at the sushi counters. If you find one let me know.
  • gofuku
    gofuku Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Heavy Metal

Here is a calculator for adding up the amount of Mercury you consume eating sushi:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/protect.asp

I eat sushi.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Just wanting to get other peoples opinion on Sushi....
    My opinion:

OM NOM NOM NOM NOMMMMMM!

Just like many other things in my diet, I eat it in moderation. OTOH, I love it so much that I occasionally throw moderation aside, go to an all-you-can-eat sushi bar and throw it down until it hurts.

That said, there are about 200 calories and 45g of carbs in a cup of white rice. Fish is very high in protein and many species also contain healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. As long as you can fit it into your calories/macros (or you're having a day where you just don't care), there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating sushi.
  • Infauna
    Options
    I love sushi.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sushi will promote fat storage. It's white rice (high glycemic) mixed with sugar and dipped in refined salt (soy sauce). Ok for an occasional indulgence but NOT an everyday healthy choice. It will spike your insulin like nobody's business. If you go out to a sushi restaurant enjoy some nice sashimi instead :)
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. It depends on what you follow. If you're on an LCHF type diet then sushi is not for you. If you're looking for whole foods then brown rice sushi would be the way to go(or cauliflower rice). White rice isn't the end of the world, especially the amounts you consume in sushi tho.

If you're looking for a type of food that you can stuff yourself until the food-coma stage without breaking your diet then sushi is probably not for you either. However if you're really craving sushi once in a while, your weight shouldn't be affected by eating sushi now an then. It's definitely better than devouring a pizza.

IMO: sushi is one of the better eat-out options if you're worried about calories.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    It tastes good, so I eat it.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ...If you go out to a sushi restaurant enjoy some nice sashimi instead :)

Yes, go for sashimi! I'll echo what others have said though...tempura, cream cheese, Guy Fieri's "Redneck Sushi" should be on the avoid list. But, an occasional indulgence is probably ok. I miss sushi.
  • travisleanne
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I did some research myself yesterday as well and ended up having it for lunch.... I think its simply moderation with Sushi and making the right choices to what ones to have.
    I have discovered that a Seaweed salad is really nice and only contains 40calories per 40g serve!
  • dareacceptor
    dareacceptor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yum, sushi!!

I echo what others have said - just watch what the ingredients are for the rolls, or go with some nice sashimi... now I think I'm going out for sushi tonight. Thanks! :happy:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sushi will promote fat storage. It's white rice (high glycemic) mixed with sugar and dipped in refined salt (soy sauce). Ok for an occasional indulgence but NOT an everyday healthy choice. It will spike your insulin like nobody's business. If you go out to a sushi restaurant enjoy some nice sashimi instead :)

Nothing wrong with white rice or insulin.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Individual foods are not inherently lipogenic. Caloric surpluses are.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    OP: either fit the sushi into your daily intake of calories and macros or treat it as an occasional splurge but you don't need to otherwise avoid certain items.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with white rice or insulin.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Individual foods are not inherently lipogenic. Caloric surpluses are.

I noticed you glossed over the refined salt

Spikes your insulin bro
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I just recently started eating it and I love it. I just make sure it fits in my calories and sodium for the day. If it does I'm devouring it with extra wasabi haha