Strength routine: suggestions? am I missing anything?

Options
2»

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need a trainer, though they can be helpful. I've just watched a *ton* of videos that demonstrate good form and occasionally I take my camera in and video my workouts. Then when I get home I watch the videos and make myself cues for my next workout.

Yeah, agreed. And I always tell people around here that I'm down for assessing form. I get a couple of people each week who email me videos of themselves performing movements that they'd like my opinions on. They're just checking the quality of their form, and it works really well.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a 1-yo and my wife is still BF'ing. The awesomeness does get into the breastmilk, so you definitely want to do heavy squats, bench, DL, OHP, PP, PU, PU, and DB rows.
    excuse MY ignorance! what do those abbreviations mean?

BF'ing = Breast Feeding (that probably isn't one you meant, though) :)
    Dead Lift
    Overhead Press
    Push Press
    Push Up
    Pull Up
    Dumbbell Rows

And if exercise is making a woman produce less milk, I bet it's because she isn't drinking enough water. She's sweating out what should be going into milk.

I am not a doctor, so I don't have any credentials behind that bet.

I am 103% sure about the awesomeness getting into the breastmilk, though.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options

I am 103% sure about the awesomeness getting into the breastmilk, though.
    LOL! =)
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • kikimama125
    Options
    Just a few things about breastfeeding and lifting that I have found. The hormones that loosen up the pelvis for child birth (and such the whole body) stay longer in a breastfeeding mothers system. But from what I have read it should be gone by 6 mo. post partum. So after that you can workout normally without extra fear of injury.

Also, in regards to milk supply. Working out in general does nothing to either your supply or the taste. Some moms fear working out because of the myth of it changing the taste of your milk. If you are working out very, very, hard then there is a potential for taste change, which baby may reject, but it clears in 30 min according to studies I have read. And working out does not lower supply, but you have to make sure to replace all the water you lose, plus some. Or that will lower your supply. So when I workout I drink *atleast* 30 oz. during my workout, then I add *atleast* a extra 30 oz. after to my normal water intake. So basically I am adding a half gallon to my normal intake, which is 90-120 oz. a day. Yes, I pee constantly and feel like I'm drowning sometimes. But I think low water intake is a big part of mothers who don't make enough milk. I know I didn't drink enough when I was breastfeeding last time and I could hardly keep up. This time I drink a ton of water and I have a over supply that could feed another baby.

Of course everyone is diffrent and there is so much conflicting info on breastfeeding out there.....
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I didnt read the whole thread. I recommend a proven beginner 3 day full body routine done on 3 non consecutive days per week.

Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

And this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    As a breast feeding momma who is 4 months postpartum I now i'm paying the price for working out too hard too soon. I eased into starting 2 months post partum and about 3 weeks ago i started having severve joint pain. I went to Dr and she said that the hormone relaxin is still in our bodies and it varys with most mommies when it will be gone. Usually 6 months so take that into consideration. I am now sticking to very low impact until i'm 6 months then I'm approaching my workouts by slowing getting back into my normal routine. You need to listen to your body for sure! Definatley drink more water!!!!! Drinking plenty of water will bump up your milk supply!! I also recommend taking this awesome supplement for breastfeeding moms that pumps up the supply easily!! It's called Gaia Herbs Lactate support...heres a link if your not anywhere near a place to buy this like a whole foods or what not.
    http://www.supersup.com/gaia-herbs-lactate-support-60-vegetarian-liquid-phyto-caps-751063402200

good luck momma!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I didnt read the whole thread. I recommend a proven beginner 3 day full body routine done on 3 non consecutive days per week.

Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

And this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
    TBH I don't really want a full body. I would rather have certain parts of my body sore than all at once; plus, I don't want to be away from my youngest (4 months) for too long at the gym! I know some full body workouts can be quick if you do back-to-back exercises but I'm not really looking for a huge calorie burn